Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What do you consider CIO? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672607)

CharmedMama 02-16-2009 08:58 AM

What do you consider CIO?

I know this may be a silly question, but I was wondering what your thoughts were on CIO. Last night my DS did not want to go back to sleep after his 12 a.m. feeding, but he obviously was sleepy. He fights sleep extremely bad, but usually I can get him to go right to sleep with nursing him. However, he sometimes will wake up when I put him in his crib. He wasn't full out crying or screaming, but he was letting out little cries here and there. I decided to just let him do this until he went to sleep. It was just a little cry, more like fussing, off and on, but not continuous. If he ever starts a full-out, non-stop cry, I always go to him. Anyway, would you consider what he did lastnight CIO? I am not into CIO. This morning I kinda feel guilty for leaving him alone to fall asleep on his own, but didn't really feel as though I was letting him CIO.

FairyBeautifulMama 02-16-2009 09:04 AM

Re: What do you consider CIO?

I don't consider that CIO. I think CIO is full screaming/crying that lasts more then 10 mins. My DS is like that sometimes. While he is trying to get comfortable and get to sleep he whines until he falls asleep. He does it if you leave him in his crib or if you try to rock him.

Maddie&Jake'sMom 02-16-2009 09:05 AM

nope, thats not cio....fio (fuss it out) maybe, but that is totally different.

SubliminalDarkness 02-16-2009 09:05 AM

IMO, that was cry it out, because you left him to do it alone. If you were with him and he did that, it wouldn't be CIO.

melaoshea 02-16-2009 09:31 AM

i don't think you should feel guilty. you have to do what you feel is right and own your decision! these litle ones are smart and they can sense our vibes (IMO), so be confident! and i wouldn't consider that CIO. it sounds like he wasn't even crying! i'm not into CIO either, but he has to figure out on his own how to fall asleep. i'm sure he'd let you know if he really needed you there.

greek4 02-16-2009 09:34 AM

We do the same thing you do. If he is not constantly crying then he is just settling in and learning to put himself to sleep. If he is crying nonstop, sadly (not in anger) for more than 5-10 minutes then I consider that CIO.

I think babies and toddlers need to learn to sooth themselves and if they have to fuss or cry for a short period of time to do that then so be it. You did what was best for everyone and it worked out in your favor and his.

momof3boys1girl 02-16-2009 09:37 AM

no i dont think that was cio either.

MadeInChina 02-16-2009 11:29 AM

You shouldn't feel guilty if you were doing what you felt was best for your son. And probably tonight if he does the same thing, he'll go to sleep sooner than he did last night because he's got some "experience" with it now. :)
You just do what you feel is best for your LO. :thumbsup:

jewelzbird 02-16-2009 11:45 AM

not CIO at all! You should not feel guilty for letting him learn to get himself to sleep...you are lucky he did it so well!

S Starr 02-16-2009 11:48 AM

It's just a label... but I don't think most people who despise CIO would consider that CIO. I also think people differ on whether or not it's CIO if you're *there*, just not picking up/nursing the baby....