Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Non-vaxers...Tetanus shot question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673126)

Tavie and Ellie's Mom 02-16-2009 05:25 PM

Non-vaxers...Tetanus shot question

We stopped vaccinating our girls about a year ago, but the other day DH brought up us getting them only the Tetanus shot. Since it seems like that is something they would be more likely to get. So other non-vaxers, what are your thoughts on this one?

iris0110 02-16-2009 05:42 PM

Re: Non-vaxers...Tetanus shot question

You can't get it alone. It only comes as DTaP, TDaP or DT. The TDaP is only for kids over 7 (or is it 10, I can't remember) and still includes the diptheria and pertusis vax. The DT still has mercury (more than the "trace amounts" in most vaccines) and still has diptheria in it.

I have read several studies arguing that because T was so reactive it has been watered down repeatedly to lower reactivity. It is now to the point where it is ineffective. But even without that, if your child gets injured and you take them to the ER, even if they had a booster less than a year before, they will want to give them the Toxoid shot. Which makes me wonder what the point would be to getting the vax in the first place? Tetanus is very low risk in children, the majority of cases are in the elderly. It is primarily a disease of those with poor circulation as it cannot live where there is oxygen. Between that and the fact that I reacted to the tetanus vax when I was a child, my children don't get it. Tetanus vax can cause temporary and even permanent nerve damage, typically in the body part the shot is administered in. I remember reading a case study of a tennis player who lost use of his arm after a routine booster of tetanus (this was back when it was still available alone, it was part of the reason they watered it down yet again). When my kids get injured, if the wound bleeds I don't worry about it. IF they were to get a deep puncture that would not bleed (or just barely bled) I might take them to the ER for the toxiod shot. But I won't be giving them DT or DTaP.

Tavie and Ellie's Mom 02-16-2009 05:54 PM

Thanks iris0110 :goodvibes: I was hoping you would answer

Fairychilde 02-16-2009 11:08 PM

Thank you for the info iris0110

Liddle1 02-16-2009 11:21 PM

from what I understood you CAN get it alone (at least in canada). the forms the vac comes in is:

DT (diptheria tetanus)
DTaP (diptheria tetanus pertussis)
and T (tetanus)

the only one you can't get on its own is Pertussis

Jennie_in_Iowa 02-17-2009 09:31 AM

You might even look at each of your children's activities. Do you have a slightly klutsy child who likes to play in the dirt or shows an inclination to hang out places where nails or screws or blades are common? Maybe a tetanus shot makes more sense. But, if your children seem the type to avoid dirt or places with sharp metal objects, perhaps the shot doesn't make sense and that child can get it when/if it's ever needed.
I was one of those dirt-digging-playing-with-nails-and-saws sortta kids and my parents were always careful to keep my tetanus shots updated and when I got hurt the doctors would see that in my chart and I can't remember ever getting a booster while getting something sewn up. But, I wouldn't put it past them either, just my experience.