Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   HELP! Two year old sleeping problems! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673361)

clarinetb 02-16-2009 09:56 PM

HELP! Two year old sleeping problems!

Okay, my two year old (turned two at the end of January) is a terrible sleeper. She had a good phase between 3 and 4 months. Another around 18 months or so. And good means up once a night :D

She doesn't sleep through the night, not even close! she weaned just after Christmas, I had managed to night-wean in October/November, but when we went away at the end of November she started nursing a lot more including night. We slowed it a bit when we got home.

She has a bottle of milk before bed. She has blankets she also likes for soothing herself. I never understood why she gave up her soother so early as she really relies on sucking for soothing. Now that she doesn't have a soother, doesn't nurse, she is on a kick with her bottles of milk. In the night, mostly she wants milk to get back to sleep. I'm not happy about this because I worry about her teeth :( She does tend to finish drinking, put the bottle down and then roll over to the sleep, but sometimes I pass out first!

We don't full-time co-sleep but we are needing to spend some nights/parts of nights in her bed, partly for our sanity and partly to help her sleep a bit more.

She doesn't go down to sleep easy either! We've been trying to stick to timing of dinner, then bath, then books in bed, then sleep. We lay with her till asleep. At any point she sometimes seems to get a second wind and is impossible to get down. Other times she wants the other parent or something else that winds her up and if she starts to get upset she is near impossible to calm down to get her to sleep!

I am soooo tired right now! Other things are going on in our family life, so I know that makes it harder for her, but she has never slept well or through the night so there is something more fundamental below! i've tried a few things with limited success ever! I've been trying to substitute water for milk in the night. It works the first night, but then she catches on and won't take water. I think I might need to go cold turkey and deal with an upset toddler for a couple nights, but I hate the crying and it is brutal on me too!!

Any ideas? What has worked for you? I try to tell myself that it can only get better, but it manages to get worse! HELP!

Thanks for reading :D

mismaggie 02-16-2009 10:03 PM

Re: HELP! Two year old sleeping problems!

Oh mama, I have been/am going through the exact same thing. I'm not kidding! My hubby and I have not had sleep since he was born and he just turned three. Now we have another baby too. I will be following along with this thread cuz I too am in need of sleep and sanity for that matter:hugs:If you need to talk or anything please feel free to PM me. Hopefully you get some sleep tonight :)

CMamma 02-16-2009 10:07 PM

NOT saying this is the issue at all, but I'm only bringing it up b/c it ended up being our issue - our DS was always an AWFUL sleeper except a few short stints here and there so I thought I'd throw it out there & maybe you could pay attention/look for signs or ask your ped/doc to look at your DC at a check up..

We did co-sleeping off and on (mostly me when DH was at work) and I BFd until DS was about a year. We found that DS was waking alllll the time at night... seemed like he was always wanting a drink. You could let him CIO and he still wouldn't go back to sleep.... so we'd just let him drink. I tried leaving a cup with water b/c it wasn't about being hungry, it was the drink (like water). He had a dry mouth. He was mouth breating. Super long story short, he had a problem breathing at night and we took him to an ENT. He had big adenoids and tonsils. He had them out. A couple mos after ths surgery he started sleeping through the night (it got slowly better and better shortly after but it took a couple mos - maybe a little less than that like 4 weeks or six b/c after the surgery he was swollen from the procedure). Anyway he went from waking several times a night to now sometimes he'll go to bed (now 3) at 7pm if he's tired to, no kidding, he'll sleep anywhere from 9 until like 10 am.

NOT saying that's your issue, but I hear it's not uncommon. GL. Night waking is no fun at this age!!! I was lucky with my oldest. He slept straight through at 6 weeks!!!

clarinetb 02-16-2009 10:08 PM

Oh, boy. I think another one sounded too daunting yet with her not sleeping! :D You're doing well to hang in there!

I know a friend who's second started sleeping through before her first!

She has been awake twice tonight already! (It is 11pm here!) AAHH!

clarinetb 02-16-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 6340267)
NOT saying this is the issue at all, but I'm only bringing it up b/c it ended up being our issue - our DS was always an AWFUL sleeper except a few short stints here and there so I thought I'd throw it out there & maybe you could pay attention/look for signs or ask your ped/doc to look at your DC at a check up..

Thank you for your post and your story! Hmmm, might be worth looking at. She always has a dry mouth at night. She does breath through her nose at least part of the time, but you hear her opening and shutting her mouth and you can hear how dry it is. I hadn't thought that it in and of itself might be an indicator of something.

Glad it helped your little guy to find this out!

mom2abbie 02-16-2009 10:12 PM

I feel your tired. If my newborn isn't waking up to eat my 2yo wakes up to eat/drink/play/watch TV/whatever she can do to not go back to sleep. She is just afraid of missing something. She hears me up with her brother and it's all over. She hates going to bed or taking a nap. Both are ordeals. If she doesn't have a nap she stays up half the night so taking that away is not an option. I too am following this thread because I am at a loss.

musicalisa 02-16-2009 10:17 PM

Mama, I've walked in your shoes. And I can tell you that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel. Of course, my kid is 5.5, so I'm not saying that the tunnel is particularly short, either... :cry:

Interesting what the PP said about adenoids: my daughter is perennially congested, on several allergy meds, etc. I wonder if her horrendous sleep habits as an infant/toddler had were related to that?

Anyway, you WILL get through this. I'd love to tell you how I did it, but I think I've blocked it out! :roflmbo: But really, just try to rest with her when you can, and try to keep your cool. It will be okay! *hugs*

clarinetb 02-16-2009 10:23 PM

yeah, I kept waiting for 12 months figuring that would be the magic number, but nope, so I figured 24 months... still no!

Don't get to nap with her with work :( I need the evenings to get things done for work or to organize home so I don't get to bed super early either unfortunately and she is a fairly early riser!

mismaggie 02-16-2009 10:40 PM

My son does seem to have some issues with allergies and that sorta thing. For the past week or so he's been really congested to the point that it sounds like he's got a cold. There's no boogies or anything up thereit's all in his sinuses. He will not take any meds, and I mean ANY! He flips out and gags and pukes. I've been trying to decide if I should take him in and have it looked at and that just made up my mind for me. I'm def. going to have it checked out thanks mama. I'm just so afraid the doc gonna say"here give him 2 tsp of this" and I'll go away wondering why I bothered yet again.