Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Favorite Sling??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67466)

momtophr 11-29-2006 03:33 AM

Favorite Sling???

My DS is almost 5 months and i need a carrier. I am thinking a ring sling as it seems pretty simple. Ihave tried pouches but had a hard time gettting a good fit. I am short onlly about 5foot so some carriers just dont fit me like they should

So do you think a RS would work for me?? If so SPAM meor SPAM me with your suggestions- OH and I would like something pretty too LOL thanks

offlikeapromdress 11-29-2006 09:05 AM

Re: Favorite Sling???

I have a ring sling for sale in carriers. I love rs, but I also love my babynest carrier.

Prettylocks 11-29-2006 09:11 AM

I love ring slings! I suggest getting one from a good wahm. Something unpadded with a little bit of a tail to cover up with. :thumbsup:
I love OTSBH too. LMK if you want one of those, I have a couple and could let one go for $10 - $15. :)

havanadaydreamin 11-29-2006 09:44 AM

I probably would go with a mei tai or wrap rather than a ring sling, since most babies are getting heavy around 5 months old. I know that DD was about 18 lbs at 6 months, and there was no way that I could carry her with a one shoulder carry.

jenmcfar 11-29-2006 10:54 AM

I love my Moby wrap...never cared much for ring slings...but I only tried one, which was very well made by a WAHM in Texas. I used it for my last ds but for me it started to really dig into my shoulder as he got bigger. I do like the New Native Baby carrier, which is a pouch type sling, but I like it for stuffing into my diaper bag and ease of putting it on for quick trips to the supermarket or whatever. But anyhow, the Moby is my new favorite because it goes over both shoulders and there are several different ways to carry your baby as she/he gets older. There is a bit of a learning curve with a Moby, but it was worth it and I particularly love the new Moby D slings, that have the satin fabric in the front. Very girlie and pretty! :thumbsup:

shandi 11-29-2006 11:16 AM

I would suggest a mei tai or a wrap also.

With a RS or a pouch, I find I don't use mine as much now that ds is a little older and heavier since it gets hard on the one shoulder. I mainly use them now for short periods and only for a hip carry.

What do you want to use the carrier for mainly? Around the house, or out and about? That can also help with your decision :)

mommyto3girls 11-29-2006 09:34 PM

I love my wisewomen ring sling and Jeni is a great wahm.

I had a meitai and foudn it to be a pain in the butt to put on and take off so I didn't use it often. I actually just traded it to a local momma who is a massage therapist, I am getting a 1 hour massage with energy work in trade :)

If the ring sling is on correctly, spread over your shoulder and baby up high enough, not at your waist. It shouldn't really hurt. After Sage is in it for a few hours it starts to bother me a bit. I also have herniated disks in my neck and lower back issues. The ring sling does not make things anyworse than holding her without a sling

littlebean 11-29-2006 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenmcfar (Post 487106)
I love my Moby wrap...never cared much for ring slings...but I only tried one, which was very well made by a WAHM in Texas. I used it for my last ds but for me it started to really dig into my shoulder as he got bigger. I do like the New Native Baby carrier, which is a pouch type sling, but I like it for stuffing into my diaper bag and ease of putting it on for quick trips to the supermarket or whatever. But anyhow, the Moby is my new favorite because it goes over both shoulders and there are several different ways to carry your baby as she/he gets older. There is a bit of a learning curve with a Moby, but it was worth it and I particularly love the new Moby D slings, that have the satin fabric in the front. Very girlie and pretty! :thumbsup:

I agree I love my moby!

Prettylocks 11-29-2006 09:50 PM

:thumbsup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyto3girls (Post 489275)

If the ring sling is on correctly, spread over your shoulder and baby up high enough, not at your waist. It shouldn't really hurt. After Sage is in it for a few hours it starts to bother me a bit. I also have herniated disks in my neck and lower back issues. The ring sling does not make things anyworse than holding her without a sling

:yeahthat: I still carry my boys (one at a time), all the time in a RS. They weigh about 27 & 37 lbs. :loveit: I also love the ERGO for longer periods of time, but for shopping or soothing, the RS is so easy.

iris0110 11-29-2006 09:59 PM

I love Jan at sleeping baby productions ring slings. She made one out of half of a Didy for me and it is just the best. But I also love just the traditional Maya wrap ring sling. They are easy to get and use and I find them very comfy. I have also made my own in the past.

Honestly these days I use my Mei Tais the most though. Ds is soooo heavy it hurts me to carry him for very long in a sling or pouch. Much easier on my back and shoulder in a Mei Tai.