Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   At what age do you start baby cereal? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67509)

GrowingUpMad 11-29-2006 08:40 AM

At what age do you start baby cereal?

Title says it all!!

Lilly is 3 months old and I know my other 2 were on cereal by now but I really don't want to start ANYTHING early this time around.

christi2705 11-29-2006 08:48 AM

Re: At what age do you start baby cereal?

We didn't start any solids till after 6 months, which is what is recommeded now.
DD ended up not wanting anything from a spoon, only what she could pick up herself. Which turned out to be great b/c we were able to skip baby food altogether. We started with offering mushed fruits/veggies and then veggie puffs and cheerios.

katzmark06 11-29-2006 08:51 AM

We tried cereal for the 1st time last week at 4.5 months because i was thinking it would help reflux.... Needless to say we will NOT be trying that again until at least 6 months:banghead:

Ooey 11-29-2006 08:53 AM

Whilder is 6 months and we haven't tried it yet.

GrowingUpMad 11-29-2006 08:54 AM

Cool, I didn't want to rush it yet I didn't want to be all behind. I know my ped mentioned 3-4 months and I didn't know if that was a good target. I think I'll wait a while, she's still so little (just hit 12lbs with her heavy cloth on).

Leininger27 11-29-2006 08:59 AM

I would wait! My ds is 6 months and his little belly can't tolerate anything but BM! He absolutely hates cereal and will take a couple bites of homemade baby food, but he always gets constipated so we are waiting for awhile to introduce again!

MamaMel 11-29-2006 09:19 AM

lily is 8.5 months and still hasn't had rice ceral. We are doing EBF until self feeds. I wouldn't until 6 months

jenmcfar 11-29-2006 12:23 PM

Whenever your baby seems ready. :mrgreen: For my current DD, she will be 6 mos on the 14 and I started her on solids about a week or so ago. She didn't seem ready before then but she has been reaching for my food and making chewing/lip smacking noises when I am eating so I knew she wanted to try foods. With one of my sons he was around 8 mos or so before he started solids...he just didn't have the interest and was satisfied with bfing only. So, every babe is different.

JeDeeLenae 11-29-2006 12:33 PM

My DS has been really showing interest in eating solids for the last month, but I'm really trying to wait. Baby cereal has such little nutritional value that I think I'm going to skip that altogether and just make my own baby food again.

supermomelisa 11-29-2006 12:35 PM

I think the PP's have given great advice :thumbsup:
And keep in mind, every babe is different. Ella couldn't tolerate solids well at 7-9 months, woke up screaming at night, gassy, fussy, so we ebf until she was ready for solids. I do give her whole grain iron fortified cereal now, my ebf babies have a tendency to get anemic, so she gets that and whatever veggies and fruits now. But she is 11 months now.
Good job on being informed and patient, Mama!