Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   have you ever... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67531)

shortcake2386 11-29-2006 09:01 AM

have you ever...

let your LO ride in the car outside of a carseat?? if so why??(emergency situation, no seat, taxi...)

just curious...my mom said she used to BF us while her dh drove and my grandma used to hold us and drive:whoa:

offlikeapromdress 11-29-2006 09:04 AM

Re: have you ever...

absolutely not!

MamaMegan 11-29-2006 09:08 AM

Absolutely not, in a no way in hell sort of way.

I've paid fare to install carseats in taxis while traveling, and walk over taking a bus. I buckled the kids in when going to garage sales -- even if we're only gonig a block.

That said my mom remembers putting me in a carrier on the front seat-- having to break suddenly and me falling to the floor of the car.... where I just laid there, still sleeping....

JustAugust 11-29-2006 09:12 AM

Yes. Once to the ER, it was at about 4am and in our town NO ONE is on the street then, so I wasn't worried.

Back when we were little I remember riding in the front seat stacked up on pillows so I could see out. And I rarely road in a carseat, my parents didn't have money for one. Back then it wasn't as big of a deal as it is today, with all the massive vehicles and faster speed limits, etc.

shortcake2386 11-29-2006 09:15 AM

just curious bc dh wanted me to bf dd whilre we were stuck behind a wreck on 65...and i made him pull over!!!! i swear its stop and go traffic where most of the wrecks happen:banghead:

masonite 11-29-2006 09:15 AM

No way!

I do know, however, that "back then" things were different. Car safety, and car seat safety weren't really important!! (Crazy, I know!) My mom talks about how most people didn't really have "car seats". She used to nurse all the time while driving. She says there is no way she'd do that (knowing what she knows now), but they were different times I guess!

nothing_butt_cloth 11-29-2006 09:18 AM

Yes i have. My dd2 had severe colic for the first 7 months of her life. She screamed 24-7 and hubby and i had to take shifts. it was bad!!
anyway, when she was 3 month old we drove to idaho. 14 hours.... and if you can imagine if i stopped the car to nurse her everytime the trip would have been like 3 days.... so in the back country roads, in the middle of the night, i would hold her and nurse. Never in a city and never on a busy road, and never when thedeer were out.. But i had to do what i had to do to keep my sanity.. I know i am a bad mom... please dont flame i am just being honest...

a far as recent times. Yes, I dont strap in my 3 kids, ( only 1 of them) when we run up to samis freind house 7 houses away. They love sittin the the front seat. Emma is always strapped since she is only 2, but the older 2 think it is fun to sit nxt to me on my block..LOL

Ooey 11-29-2006 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing_butt_cloth (Post 486770)
Yes i have. My dd2 had severe colic for the first 7 months of her life. She screamed 24-7 and hubby and i had to take shifts. it was bad!!
anyway, when she was 3 month old we drove to idaho. 14 hours.... and if you can imagine if i stopped the car to nurse her everytime the trip would have been like 3 days.... so in the back country roads, in the middle of the night, i would hold her and nurse. Never in a city and never on a busy road, and never when thedeer were out.. But i had to do what i had to do to keep my sanity.. I know i am a bad mom... please dont flame i am just being honest...

a far as recent times. Yes, I dont strap in my 3 kids, ( only 1 of them) when we run up to samis freind house 7 houses away. They love sittin the the front seat. Emma is always strapped since she is only 2, but the older 2 think it is fun to sit nxt to me on my block..LOL

You are not a bad mom at all! I'm sure most of us have done similar things. Just this weekend on our 8 hour car trip home I took Whilder out of her car seat because she kept screaming randomly like she was in pain, as soon as I took her out she started farting like crazy. I guess she had gas and being in that carseat position was horrible for her. We didn't pull over because for one like you said our trip would have taken days if we stopped every time she cried, and after all day in the car we all just needed to get home for our own sanity. I know it wasn't a very safe thing to do but if I were in the same situation I'd do the same thing again. I just can't let my baby be screaming in pain.

4BoysMom 11-29-2006 09:27 AM

I used to ride the bus from the time my oldest was 1-1.5ish. I hated it. Even the anmbulance buckled my kids in when we had to go it for a croup flare up. I have unbuckled kids 3 houses away from grandmas after the long drive if they were screaming on a very very few occassions (less than a handful between 4 kids). But I don't do the take the kid out to feed thing and the leaning over the car seat thing is a nono too though "lots" of people do it.

MamaMegan 11-29-2006 09:39 AM

I take it back. Melissa made me remember....

I did take Ash out of her carseat because DH couldn't get pulled off fast enough-- she's been stopping breathing in her sleep -- even when upright (as in, in her carseat, not just her back)-- she'll start gasping and making ties horrid noise and shaking (and our doctor doesn't think it's cause for concern :banghead: so we're in the process of finding a new one).... SHe started doing it so grabbed her out and started rubbing her stomach and giving her CPR. Fun stuff.