Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   RSV at 4?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67539)

nothing_butt_cloth 11-29-2006 09:09 AM

RSV at 4??

I am getting really worried about my dd. She has RSV 3 times in her first year, and the first tiem was at 2 weeks, we spent alovely week at Phx CHildrens. She is MY sick one. She catches everything!!
Well I have been sick with a cold, then pneumonia for about 3 weeks. and it went thru everyone. I still am hacking.( i am the only one that had pnuemonia) but feel better.. KWIM.. OK, Gabby was very sick a week ago, and then felt better over the weekend. Now she is coughing ALOT> is super congested, and has a bad runny noe.her poor little face is raw from her using tissues.

I know that adults can get RSV but it presents as a cold. But is it the same as a 4 yo?? Do i treat this as a cold, and keep her home, or take her to the ped( we dont have health insurance, but i dont care if i have to pay out hte butt for a visit if i have to) OI worry about her more than any of my kids so i tend to over react. I have a feeling since before she was born that one day i will bury her and so everything gets my 100% attention. Her first year she was in the hosptial 4 times, RSV, bowel obstuction, and apnea. Undertand why i worry??

So i dont trust my gut with her. I want to run her in with every sniffle, Though i have kept her out of hte ped for a year so i am doing good.. so if you think a cold is a cold, please tell me to calm down. I will listen i am just a bit:lostit: when it comes to my gabby girl.

MamaMegan 11-29-2006 09:42 AM

Re: RSV at 4??

I don't know about RSV-- not too familiar with it. But my DS is prone to lung problems-- bronchitis, turns into croupe, he'll get a cold, turns into a upper resp infectoni, bronchitis... croupe... get the picture? But it's never been RSV.

My friend's daughter, just turned 3, has RSV twice her fisrt year, once last winter. She's had a few bad colds and her asthma has been persistent-- where they are giong in (today) because they suspect RSV.

havanadaydreamin 11-29-2006 09:42 AM

From what I understand, RSV is extrememly dangerous as an infant, but is just a bad cold in an older child. I would probably take her in since you said that she is sickly, just to make sure that it is just a cold. She might need some breathing treatments or something.

I hope she feels better. I've been lucky that Dee has never had RSV

nothing_butt_cloth 11-29-2006 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havanadaydreamin (Post 486851)
From what I understand, RSV is extrememly dangerous as an infant, but is just a bad cold in an older child. I would probably take her in since you said that she is sickly, just to make sure that it is just a cold. She might need some breathing treatments or something.

I hope she feels better. I've been lucky that Dee has never had RSV

I actaully just pulled out my nebulizer. I have some albuterol from january that is still good, and i am going to call and see if i can get some more.. I am hopeing i can talk to the ped today...

bsydprmkn 11-29-2006 10:29 AM

i just took dd in for the same thing last week. ended up being bronchitis and an ear infection.

i thought it was just a cold, didnt worry too much. but when it didnt go away, everyone started telling me that i should bring her in.

so my thoughts would be to bring her in!

sesa70 11-29-2006 12:09 PM

I dont know... I would say call if you can but try not to go in unless you feel you have to, the peds office is usually full of sick kids and who knows what she might pickup while there b/c of her immune system being weaker b/c of this virus she has. What she gets there might be worse than what she has now!

nothing_butt_cloth 11-29-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsydprmkn (Post 487012)
i just took dd in for the same thing last week. ended up being bronchitis and an ear infection.

i thought it was just a cold, didnt worry too much. but when it didnt go away, everyone started telling me that i should bring her in.

so my thoughts would be to bring her in!

She is perkier now that she was this morning. I know she doesnt have an ear infection, since she has tubes. and when she gets an ear infection it comes out her ears... (gross) and i have drops to put in them with Antibiotics.
I am gonna give it a couple more days, unless she starts running a constant fever. I called them and theya re calling me in more albuterol so i can give erh breathing treatments when itgets bad with the coughing..

Leininger27 11-29-2006 02:26 PM

I would say keep a close eye on her! My ds3 tested postive monday for RSV and he had the same symptoms as your dd, but no fever. He was put on a nebulizer, antibiotics. We went back today to see how things were going and his ped said he actually sounds worse than Monday. They did an X-ray to make sure it wasn't pnuemonia and finger poke. He did start running a temp Monday night and has been since then.

They upped his meds and now he is on oxygen at home because he is having hard time breathing.

I pray that your little girl just has a cold! I know what it is like to have a sickly one. My ds2 is normally the one who catches everything (he is sick too, but ds3 tops him)!!

mom_of_3g_1b 11-29-2006 03:37 PM

I think that 2 of my girls have RSV, well they probably all have it it's just affecting 2 worse. With them I notice the wheezing and that they have difficulty breathing. They are using all their chest and upper neck muscles to breath. If you suspect RSV I would bring her in.