Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Chores for your dc? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67602)

tillers72 11-29-2006 11:55 AM

Chores for your dc?

My ds is 4yo now and I'm wondering if he's really ready/able to take on the responsibility of a chore in the morning...sometimes I feel lucky to get him out the door to Kindergarten! At any rate, I was thinking something simple like the trash (which is a small grocery-sack size--not even full each day b/c we are required to recycle everything here). My dh wants him to 'earn' an allowance...like $1 a week and I'm clueless...growing up I had a ton of chores and never got paid an allowance for any of it, but he did and didn't have much responsibility so I'm at a loss....what, if anything do you mamas do for this to help teach responsibility and stuff and with the money issue too?

daizydoo 11-29-2006 12:05 PM

Re: Chores for your dc?

We have a list of chores that they are responsible for daily. This is for a 6 yo- put toys away, feed the cat, help set the table. We have a chart and each day she completes the chore she puts a magnet next to the job under the correct day. At the end of the week she get a dime for each chore completed, if she missed one she doesn't earn a dime for that job that day. She could earn $2.10 a week if she does it all. We change jobs around once in awhile to so they are not the same besides putting toys away. We just started adding the just because things they need to do such as getting ready for bed and brushing teeth, being kind to each other etc..., if they don't do those they can also lose some of their allowance. We have had major issues latelly with bed time so it is a great incentive. HTH :goodvibes:

tillers72 11-29-2006 12:12 PM

I like that idea with the manners and stuff! We might have to make something like that!

Parvati 11-30-2006 01:55 PM

My two year old has a chore. We have a shoe cabinet, and it is his job to pick up shoes and put them in the cabinet. If I say "it's time to clean up!", he starts looking for the shoes. A lot of the time, he does it w/out being asked, too, and when he takes off his shoes, he puts them right away.

Obviously, he doesn't get an allowance, yet. He'd just eat it, anyway.

Our 12 year old (my step-son) has chores that he is responsible for, but he does not get paid, because my DH and I agree that helping out around the house is part of being a member of a family. So DSS cleans the cat boxes 2 or 3 times a week, and sets the table and cleans his bathroom 1x a week.

When he wants to earn $$, we have other "paying" jobs he can do, like stuff out in the yard, washing cars, vaccuming the cars, cleaning the garage. Basically, stuff that I or DH would do otherwise.

doberbrat 11-30-2006 02:28 PM

Hereís my $.02 worth. I think kids need an allowance that way when they want something, they can learn to save up for it. They should also do certain chores as part of their belonging to the family. I donít get paid to do the dishes for instance, its my job as a wife. (dh does other chores)

Now, if they want to earn EXTRA $$ they can do extra chores or mow the neighbors lawn etc.

I remember my allowance as a kid. I was LITTLE small enough that I had to stand on a chair to reach the top of the dresser where it was kept. Every week my mom put a bunch of change (which prob amounted to $2) in an ashtray. Every day, I could take however much $$ I wanted, but when the $$ was gone for that week, it was gone.

janelyb 11-30-2006 02:54 PM

Everyone is expected to help out around our house either by not being asked or if someone asks. But I do pay 25 cents for each chore for my 11 yr old as part of an allowence. She has 3 specific things that she has to do daily to earn that money (feed dogs dinner, keep room clean and keep bathroom clean). If she did all of them by the end of the week she could earn $5.25, I can tell you so far in the past few weeks she has only earned the full amount 1x. I do a check each evening and mark it off on the list by her door.

In this new parenting book I've been reading see post
http://diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68135

They mentioned having your child do your chores or other things he/she doesn't normally do to earn or pay for extra things. For example my 11 yr old wanted to download some songs from itunes and I told her how is she gonna pay for them (she had already used her allowence). So we came up with the idea for a week she will make my husbands lunch and then she can get the songs. Well guess what she's done it....it's much more motivating for her than money!

Another one was she was wanting to get her hair straighten. So we made a deal if the leaves were raked and put in the greenwaste by Thursday she could get it done. Guess what, it was done on Tuesday!

So chores seem to be a motivation instead of money. But the Key is it has to sound like it was their idea.

Janel

christinewith4 11-30-2006 04:52 PM

My boys have chores..BUT not for $$$...I mean, who is going to PAY them to take the garbage out or wash the dishes when their an adult???? Its part of being a family....

We start givnig out chores as soon as possible, usually by age 2yrs at the latest, so they are used to it and its not a culture shock later.

Our kids daily chores:

switch laundry
take out garbage
sweep kitchen
do dishes
make bed

Our weekly chores:
clean bathroom
take garbage cans to curb
help put away laundry

OK, and for allowance...they do get an allowance...they get thier age X 2.
So, our 11yr old get $22, 6yr=$12, 3yr=$6, 10mth old=$2
It goes into their bank account. They pay for any sports fees etc out of thier $$ too.....:thumbsup:

ZooCrew10 11-30-2006 05:04 PM

In our family chores are just expected, they aren't paid to do their jobs. DH and I do our best to make sure they get what they need as well as things they want when it's within our financial powers to do so (i.e. Christmas, birthdays, etc) so they have all the "toys" PS1, 2, nintendo, tv's, dvd players, etc., additionally it would be financially difficult for us to pay all of them for chores (we have 8 kids, 6 of them have chores). The 4 yo is supposed to straighten out the shoes at the door, then the chores are spread out throughout the older kids: one gets one bathroom, another the other bathroom, one does the dishes, one cleans/vacuums the living room, another cleans the dining room (table and sweep floor). The child with the small bathroom duty has the additional chore of taking out the trash since the bathroom duty is a cinch. The older 4 do their own laundry. I keep things picked up and tidy as best I can throughout the day to keep their jobs lighter for the evening. The 3 yo will probably get a chore soon, we just haven't figured out what yet.

the_hubby 11-30-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamallama (Post 491320)
Our 12 year old (my step-son) has chores that he is responsible for, but he does not get paid, because my DH and I agree that helping out around the house is part of being a member of a family. So DSS cleans the cat boxes 2 or 3 times a week, and sets the table and cleans his bathroom 1x a week.

We are the same way with our 5 year old. We think it is important that he learn that you help the family in whatever way you can without expecting anything.
He's responsible for unloading his groceries (juice boxes, apple sauces) when we buy groceries. If we need help setting the table, he is called to help. He also puts up all his fold up clothes.

As far as money is concerned, he collects change around the house. He knows that certain money is for bills, groceries etc. He then asks if he can have the change before doing so and when he collects enough we take him down to the bank.

motherhubbard 11-30-2006 05:47 PM

Chores are a big deal here. My 20 month old doesn't have a chore, but he helps to pick up toys and books or he'll take something to the dirty clothes. He's a good helper. We get each child a chore chart form the local teacher supply store and decide on the list. Some things they always get "stuck with"
like oldest DD unloads dishes because she is tall enough to put everything away, while youngest DD loads the dishwasher. Each girl and my 4yo son will cook one night a week. The cooker has to clean the kitchen. They have things on the list that are not chores like DS has to pee before bed and they each have to say a Bible verse before they eat supper. Every monday night we have a family meeting and discuss all of our little things and brag/admonish about the chores. I don't pay the kids for chores, they're just a fact of life.

We have a huge garden and we can our food. They all know how to put out a garden and put up food. it's part of our working together for the sake of the family. Next year we'll be getting chickens and the next year we'll be getting goats, then the next year cows. we'll all have more chores then.

I know kids that don't have any responsiblities and I feel sorry for them. When my nephew spends the night, and it's time to eat, the kids all come in and wash up and start their chores...fixing drinks, setting the table.... He just sits down as if he's ready to be served and when it's over he just gets up and leaves. I'm glad that my kids know to clear their own dishes.