Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daily Chat Threads (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Just Can't Get Enough --of Wool -- Saturday (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677148)

devholan 02-21-2009 06:11 AM

Just Can't Get Enough --of Wool -- Saturday

Good morning ladies. I am still struggling with a question from last night. Let me gt the posts...

devholan 02-21-2009 06:15 AM

Re: Just Can't Get Enough --of Wool -- Saturday

I split for the legs on my shorties and am ready to start knitting one of the legs. The Burgh Baby pattern leaves the gusset open for now.

I need to pick up 6 stitches on each leg so my chunky monkey's thighs will fit well. Aimee made me a video last night (how cool is that??? she's the best!), so now I understand the concept of picking up stitches. But I'm still not sure exactly where. (Having trouble envisioning this from the video.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyttlewon (Post 6387993)
Ok Dev here the leg stitches are on scrap yarn. If I were doing this for real the 16" circ would be inserted into the live stitches where the scrap yarn is and I would be picking up with my 12" circ. This is a closed gusset but it basically works the same with an open gusset.

Can you see this? http://flickr.com/photos/25991409@N0...=1235190271097

I know I pick up 3 in the front and 3 in the back. Do they go parallel to the stitch holders that are holding my 2 gusset pieces? The circ for the leg meets up with the stitch holder, so I can't envision anywhere else and the instructions read:

Quote:

Originally Posted by devholan (Post 6387823)
i'm a little tired, so just to make sure I understand:
the pattern says to "use my working yarn to pick up stitches on both sides of the gusset. it says to form individual stitches right next to each of the stitch holders. "

so between that from the pattern and the link you just provided... I'm still not quite sure where I'm picking up stitches from? what does it mean by next to the gusset stitch holders? the stitch right below? or along side?

Here's a picture of the area:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/IMG_0220.jpg
The 12" circ for the leg meets the stitch holder, so I don't know exactly where the stitches get added in. I'm trying to visualize exactly how this works to make the leg opening wider.

MaggieSqrl 02-21-2009 06:27 AM

Hi there! :) I was just PMing w/ another knitting having the same question. This is the one place in the book where I wish I had put pics :banghead: LOL! I'm working on a custom right now, so I'll take pics in about a week and post them somewhere for reference.

I'm digging out my PM to the other mama right now, and will post what I told her about picking up stitches in a minute :)

ladybenz 02-21-2009 06:27 AM

Good morning!

Dev...I always close off my gusset before I pick up stitches, but you are picking up stitches perpendicular to your gusset stitches. Let me see if I can get a picture...

devholan 02-21-2009 06:30 AM

Maggie, thank you! Yes, pictures in this area of the book would be wonderful. Or maybe you could just put a couple of video tuts on your HC and let buyers know that they're there?

Thanks Aimee! Good to know that I shouldn't be working parallel to the stitch holder, but still not sure exactly where I do add. I'll anxiously await your picture. :goodvibes:

MaggieSqrl 02-21-2009 06:31 AM

Ok - copying and pasting from my instructions that I sent to the other mama in PMs :thumbsup: I'll get this all up w/ pics somewhere for all to see within the next couple of weeks :)

Your yarn should be just at the inseam of one of the legs (it doesn't really matter which leg it is, but it will be just at the inseam of one of them.) You'll see that the leg near the working yarn needs to come together as a circle. It needs to be joined together. The stitches you are picking up will be what starts to join the leg together.

Now, take your working yarn and you'll be picking up stitches. The easiest way is to use a crochet hook, but you can use the tip of your circs, too. You're going to pull the working yarn through the very edge/side of the gusset - one stitch at a time. Just draw the yarn through stitches at the very edge to form new stitches, and place each new stitch on your circs.

You can do more stitches than 4, but if you're doing the regular 4 stitches in the pattern, you'll form 2 new stitches on each gusset area (2 on the front and 2 on the back).

There may be a tutorial on knittinghelp.com or youtube for how to pick up stitches. I'm planning on taking some pics the next time I get to that point in the knitting, so I can put it up for people to see. Pics speak a thousand works - LOL!

(The mama then asked about when to start knitting the new stitches in the round...)

There are a couple of ways to do this in the round. I tend to go w/ the simplest way, but if you want to be fancy later on, there are fancier ways. Anyway, what I do is just "go backwards" (left to right) while creating (picking up) the new stitches. Then I knit them first while knitting my first round. :thumbsup:

lwolfrum 02-21-2009 06:33 AM

looks great!

devholan 02-21-2009 06:35 AM

Thanks Maggie. I learned how to pick up stitches from Aimee's (lyttlewon) video last night. I'm just not sure where. From your pattern, I read that it should be done next to the stitch holder. But where exactly?

Shaineinok 02-21-2009 06:36 AM

Oh Dev Maggie's pattern is my favorite. Did you figure it out?

Shaineinok 02-21-2009 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devholan (Post 6389775)
Thanks Maggie. I learned how to pick up stitches from Aimee's (lyttlewon) video last night. I'm just not sure where. From your pattern, I read that it should be done next to the stitch holder. But where exactly?

Here's what I do. I lay the pants down and match them up. Gusset to gusset so I can see how the legs should be. Then I take a crochet hook and pull loops through. I do four loops on each leg on each side of the gusset. So two on the stockingette stitched part and two on the gusset part, on each side. So that it will all join together. I wish I had pics...