Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   5 VAX in one visit? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677848)

braxis03 02-21-2009 09:52 PM

5 VAX in one visit?

I was unsure of what to do about vaxing our 2nd DD. We vaxed our 1st. We just had our 2 mon appt. yesterday for 2nd DD and I told the Dr. I wanted to delay her vaxes for a while, and of course after an hour of telling me I was doing the wrong thing for my child and others that she would come in contact with, I decided to go ahead and have her vaxed on the regular schedule. So then this nurse comes in with 5 needles and some tube of liquid that they forced down her throat! It was soooo horrible! She took her good old time sticking my baby 5 different times with these miserable vaxes! The baby was screaming and I was crying. I don't ever remember giving my 1st DD 5 shots in one sitting. I remember her 1st couple rounds of shots being 2 in one leg and 1 in the other. And they had 2 nurses come in and do them at the same time! Did anyone else have that many at one time?

Oh, and then he told me that my breast milk was lacking in vitamins and floride and that I need to be giving my baby oral vitamins! I personally think he's crazy and I'm def not giving her vitamins and then he told me that I was to start giving her juice and cereal at 4 months old!!
This is exactly why I chose a home birth and hate taking her in to the Ped!

Thanks for letting me vent!

mrscakes 02-21-2009 10:18 PM

Re: 5 VAX in one visit?

Oh, I'm so sorry you and your LO had to go through that :cry: I'd say think about getting a new ped and do lots of vax research before your next well-baby visit. I have nearly driven myself crazy trying to come up with a vax schedule I'm comfortable with, but I do have a supportive NP that we see and our visits are much less traumatic. Good luck!

amitchell98 02-21-2009 10:23 PM

We had I think 4 shots the last time and I thought I would die. It took him I bet 10 minutes to calm down after all of them. Usually we get 2 in 1 leg and 1 in the other. I don't know why it was so many this past time. We also did a bunch of research on vacc.'s and have decided to go with a regular schedule.

As far as the other stuff, I would either change doc's or tell him exactly where you stand on certain things.

4 months is a bit young to be demanding that your child be on solids. Every child is different and I'm sure you can figure out when your babe is ready. And juice isn't at all necessary. That doc should know that children don't need juice if they have an adequate fruit intake. Water is best for thirsty children. Not babies though. BM is the best. And you do not need to give vitamins (IMO) or flouride. My, my. I think I would switch ped.'s if I were you. Too much that you disagree with.

SarahLee318 02-21-2009 10:30 PM

We had that many too, I think I cried more than DD but it did take her like 20 min. to calm down, she wouldn't even nurse because she was crying so hard...the last couple of times it wasn't as bad though, she got over it quicker...and so did I.

As far as giving your baby vites, I just take my vites and figure it gets in my breast milk and if I am healthy then I will have healthy breast milk...I made it up but it makes sense to me:)

Juice and cereal I think is a little much at 4 months, I say the only kind of juice your baby should be getting is Boobie Juice!

Hang int there Mamma, find a new doc. We see a family prac., not a ped....
HUGS.

nini02 02-21-2009 10:39 PM

Sounds like it's time for a new doctor....:hugs:

braxis03 02-21-2009 10:40 PM

It took mine that long to calm down too! I felt so bad for doing that to her! I agree about the boobie juice! I take really good vit from the healthy grocer that are like $40 a bottle, so my milk better be like gold!:giggle2: We are military and I fought to go to a civilian doc because I don't trust the military doc any further than I can throw them. But switching docs is a pain in the butt. trying to get tricare to approve us to go somewhere else is like pulling teeth! Even if we get approved to go somewhere else I don't know if next guy will be any better!
Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahLee318 (Post 6398414)
We had that many too, I think I cried more than DD but it did take her like 20 min. to calm down, she wouldn't even nurse because she was crying so hard...the last couple of times it wasn't as bad though, she got over it quicker...and so did I.

As far as giving your baby vites, I just take my vites and figure it gets in my breast milk and if I am healthy then I will have healthy breast milk...I made it up but it makes sense to me:)

Juice and cereal I think is a little much at 4 months, I say the only kind of juice your baby should be getting is Boobie Juice!

Hang int there Mamma, find a new doc. We see a family prac., not a ped....
HUGS.

Bee Green Naturals 02-21-2009 10:43 PM

So sorry mama.. this happened with my first son on his first set of shots ONLY! After that I was like no way... just too much going in with such a little body. So I delay now and catch them up on a modified schedule, I never allow more than 3 at a time and that is only when they are 4.

As for vitamins... i have heard the link with vit. D but we are in sunny California so I don't worry about it.

Juice and cereal at 4 months... yikes.. why mention it now and jump the gun. Your LO is still brand new. Think your ped. might have to many basic 'rules' in his belt and isn't really looking at individual babies. Maybe look into another?

Computermama 02-22-2009 12:29 AM

FIVE? You have got to be kidding. I've put DD on the regular schedule until very recently and the most shots she's ever gotten in a single visit was two. 5 is just insane!

Yeah, after all this, I'd be looking into a new pedi. The vitamins I can see, kinda, but most babies do not need solids until at least 6 mos, and juice, like, never. I know you said it would be a PITA to switch, but damn, I'd try!

I still can't get over the number of shots - is that normal in the US?

pantufla 02-22-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama (Post 6398781)
I still can't get over the number of shots - is that normal in the US?

Yes. :cry:

TyNLilysMommy 02-22-2009 12:59 AM

Yea that tube of liquid.. they laid my daughter down and just poured it into her mouth. Meanwhile the stupid "LEARNING doctor" was blocking my view of my daughter everytime I moved to see what was going on, and she kept saying its ok its ok.. Then my daughter started choking..I pushed her out of the way and grabbed her. I hate her dr. and whats even more sad is that her ped doesnt see her. Since its a learning hospital, the residents see her..
I just went through this with them 2 weeks ago. They wanted to give my daughter 10 shots because i delayed. I told them absolutly not, she tried to talk me into it ...nope.. stand your ground momma, You know whats best for your child.