Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When Do We Worry About Fevers?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67790)

Sarah 11-29-2006 06:42 PM

When Do We Worry About Fevers??

Sophie is sick. She spent all day on the sofa,only got up to potty and most of the time didn't even talk to me. All day we did the Motrin/Tylenol dance and a bath. I finally got her to drink something when I put it in a baby bottle. I took her temp under her arm tonight and it's 104. She says her legs hurt(but no rash thank goodness). Could this just be the flu? Is it time to worry yet?
Last time Sophie got a fever we spent a week in the hospital because she was spiking fevers up to 108

Mindi 11-29-2006 06:48 PM

Re: When Do We Worry About Fevers??

oh wow! 104 UNDER the arm? That is high IMO mamma. And 108!! WOW that is so scary! I would definetly be going to the ER. My ds was just in the ER for 104 temps.

MamaZ 11-29-2006 06:50 PM

I would call your pedi or Dr if you can, if not head to the ER. My DH use to spike fevers up to 106.7 but 108?! Now that's scary.

OneFabMama 11-29-2006 06:53 PM

104 is high underarm. I'd go to the ER or Urgent Care or something.

fouradss 11-29-2006 07:44 PM

At 103 on top of Motrin and Tylenol, we go to the ER

Sarah 11-29-2006 07:50 PM

...and just like that the fever is gone and she's upstairs talking to the TV,which is totally normal for her

stephdpn 11-29-2006 07:58 PM

I personally don't ever take my kids to the ER unless it is a trauma. Luckily, I can call my pediatrician at home to run anything by him...that being said, my kids run high fevers everytime they have a fever - they never run a fever of 101 - it is always 103+...they respond well to ibuprofen and cold liquids, a cool compress and a lukewarm bath, if needed. I would only take mine to the ER if I could not get the fever to respond to these measures. Remember, a fever is your body's way of fighting off infection, so it isn't really a bad thing. Today, Hutch's temp was 102.8 under his arm (add a degree, so 103.8) - we called the ped to be sure, he said it sounds viral (which is what I thought, too - no other symptoms), just keep an eye on him, cool him down, give him the Motrin, call him back if the fever hasn't gone down in 45 minutes.

Lmakes5 11-30-2006 07:13 AM

One thing to always remember is to MAKE your child take in water, juice, tea. Basically whatever fluid they are willing to consume. At least 2oz. every hour when they have a fever. Febrile seizures are caused by dehydration from the temp, not the actual temp.
Glad to hear the OPs LO is better now!

rds989 11-30-2006 01:20 PM

From what my stepdad the family doc has told me, the time to worry most is if your kid just really seems unlike him/herself: limp, apathetic, or anything else that freaks out your motherly instincts. He never really cares what the actual temp is (within reason, of course - 108 is high!) - he says if the mother thinks something's really wrong, that's when he gets most concerned.

christinewith4 11-30-2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WearingTaci (Post 488622)
Sophie is sick. She spent all day on the sofa,only got up to potty and most of the time didn't even talk to me. All day we did the Motrin/Tylenol dance and a bath. I finally got her to drink something when I put it in a baby bottle. I took her temp under her arm tonight and it's 104. She says her legs hurt(but no rash thank goodness). Could this just be the flu? Is it time to worry yet?
Last time Sophie got a fever we spent a week in the hospital because she was spiking fevers up to 108

It really depends on the child... and the age, how old is she?
My 10mth old has had a fever of underarm- 104 the last few days... its normal for us.

You can use Tylenol AND Motrin at the same time for high fevers.... talk to your doctor for directions on how to do this for your child though. :thumbsup:
That what we are doing right now.