Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What do I do if I don't have enough milk?!? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6797)

png_lovebirds 05-17-2006 05:22 PM

What do I do if I don't have enough milk?!?

My new DS is about 2 wks old! He is small...maybe 6 Lbs now and he was born at 5 Lbs 13 ozs. So, he is a big eater! Well, I don't seem to have enough milk for him! He wants to eat all the time lately....and after he has nursed from both breasts he is still hungry. It is SO sad to see him cry b/c he is hungry! I don't know what to do! He is nursing constantly b/c he is hungry.....:cry: I feel SO bad for him! I don't know what to do....:(
Please help.....:(

Irishmommy 05-17-2006 06:15 PM

Re: What do I do if I don't have enough milk?!?

I don't know about most 2week olds, but mine nursed all the time too. Nursing is supply/demand, so the more the baby nurses; the more milk you produce. Many babies are fussy because of sensitivities in the mother's diet. My dd wasn't fussy, but in the course of one office visit to her ped. she spit up 8 times because I had cereal for breakfast. She was sensitive to dairy and later we found out soy. When I cut these things from my diet she was a happier baby. Also, you may try the mother's tea or fenugreek. I would not supplement because if you bottle feed more, the less milk you produce and it is just a vicious cycle. I say try the fenugreek, or tea and consult a lactation consultant. OH, and pumping when you are not nursing helps too - the more stimulation the better. Also, isn't it around 2 weeks that they have their first growth spurt? Maybe this will pass.
HUGS to you. Oh, La Leche League would also be a great place for support. There is probably one meeting in your area.
:hugs:

Voltige 05-17-2006 06:16 PM

He is nursing all the time to increase your supply! Let him nurse as often and for as long as he wants to. Don't supplement with formula, as this will make the problem worse (he will get full, won't nurse as much, and your supply will not increase). See if you can contact someone locally who can help you, maybe help with any latching problems, and basically boost your confidence? Babies were born to breastfeed! Your body knows what to do, if you let it!

My babe, now 8 months old, nursed every 90 minutes round the clock for about 5 weeks!!

:goodvibes:
Lauren

jenncatsmeow 05-17-2006 06:42 PM

And, to add to previous posts....
...drink lots of water
...continue to eat right, and get about an extra 300 calories
...try to sleep (lol) rest
...eat some oatmeal

Finally....keep nursing him.....your supply will increase.

greenkmt 05-17-2006 07:28 PM

Oh mamma, Keep going. My little one wanted to nurse all of the time. I let him and he grew. By the way it sounds, you little one gained some weight. I would have to say that he would not gain weight if you were not making 'enough milk,' if there is such a thing. A few things I would suggest is also, get a sling like a comfy one. I just got a sling set that my friend loaned me and it is perfect for nursing. That way, your hands will not be tied up all of the time and you can have skin to skin contact that will make him gain weight better too. Also, so what if he wants to nurse all the time, do it he will grow and you will know that he is growing because of YOU. G

The book by Dr. Newman is Fabulous! The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers. :) You library would have it.

Taowensf 05-17-2006 07:37 PM

Sounds like you're getting good advice here!

I would definitely check out a LLL meeting or meet with a lactation consultant.

Finally, as a pp mentioned, growth spurt! They can come at ANY time, not just what the books say (3 wks, 3 months, etc). Sounds like your little one is motoring through one.

Good luck!

greenkmt 05-17-2006 07:40 PM

I also wanted to add that the wbs site for Dr. Newman is http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html . They have videos on there that can help you to see if the baby is latched on correctly. Watch them they are great! Also, when I first had my son, I know that I used Lactation Consultants A LOT! It would have also been much easier if I would have had LLL help me too. The girls know their stuff. You might ask them to look at your latch and tell you if it is right. http://www.lalecheleague.org/

BTW My little one is 18 months and activly nursing.

drenotdoctor 05-17-2006 07:41 PM

eat lots of regular (not instant) oatmeal
drink a ton of water
glass of red wine
fenugreek
blessed thistle
mothers milk tea (available everywhere, including wal-mart)
AVOID sage
AVOID caffeine
AVOID soda/pop

Hang in there! My dd was attached to me about 20 hours out of the day when she was young! You can do it!

SheilaJoy 05-17-2006 07:45 PM

I had this same problem with all my babies, and for my first four, I thought it was low milk supply. Turns out, that's just what a lot of babies do for the first one to two months. It slows down after awhile. good luck!

ChurchPunkMom 05-17-2006 07:52 PM

Great advice given, just wanted to add - make sure you're well hydrated, but not over hydrated. If you drink too much, you can actually dilute your hormones and cause more supply loss.

Chances are it's a growth spurt and he's working to get you to produce more. I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every day (instant is ok, regular is way better). As far as alcohol consumption - base this on your stress level. If you have a hard time relaxing, drink a glass of wine before nursing. It will help you relax enough to have a good letdown - however, if you're fine without it it can actually slow your letdown reflex (alcohol just slows you down period) causing frustration for baby. Even dark beer will do nothing for your supply, old wives tale. Mothers' Milk Tea is good, oatmeal is great, Fenugreek if you really have trouble with production.