Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Stroller Help Needed (triple/quad) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682899)

FallBabies 02-27-2009 02:11 PM

Stroller Help Needed (triple/quad)

Hey Mamas,
I'm at a loss and welcoming advice! (Begging for advice, is more like it.)

My twins are almost 18 months. They'll be almost 21 months when baby #3 arrives. They are very active and run away every chance they get, so I absolutely know that I need a stroller that I can strap them into (Sit N Stand wouldn't work for us.)

I have found a couple of strollers that COULD meet our needs. Most triples are for one toddler and two younger (two reg. seats plus one toddler seat), and I KNOW these boys will not do well if they have a really limited view. So the ones that I have found give a nice view for each child. However, they are all very expensive, all starting at $400 (used) on up.

Now... I just got hired to watch another little guy, who is a few months younger than my boys. I'm debating if I should just go ahead and spend a bit more for a quad stroller. On the one hand, I don't know that I'll be taking them out beyond neighborhood walks (since traveling w/ four in the van would be very difficult), but it would certainly be nice to have the option to do walks occasionally. I could always use a wagon, but I don't know if I will like carrying the infant while pulling a wagon (I couldn't ever comfortably wear my twins, even one at a time, so I am not sure how I'll be at it this time.)

So, what would you do?
Get a triple?
Get a Quad?
Buy the cheapest I can find (even if it looks miserable to push?)
Buy the super expensive one (that looks like a dream to push?)

The ones that I am considering are:
The Triple Decker http://www.doubledeckerstroller.com/index.shtml (HOPING it would last us for years, but everyone seems to sell it pretty early.)

ABC Everest Twin with toddler seat or double seats on top http://www.abcbuggy.co.nz/products.html (I know this one is very highly recommended, but it is pricey and I can't find it used, so I'd probably have to buy new.)

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS!!!!!!!! My mom says "Just don't plan on going anywhere. Then you won't need a stroller." Great... Thanks, mom.

titania 02-27-2009 06:33 PM

Re: Stroller Help Needed (triple/quad)

if you get a stroller that is miserable to use, you won't use it. and will have wasted your money. :2cents:

as for trip or quad--will the income generated by watching the little boy offset the cost of upgrading to a quad? how long do you foresee watching him for? do you go out for walks now?

there is a mama on here who has the quad mountain buggy one, and i think she loves it. my guess is if you can't find it used, people are either not buying it, or love it enough to keep it. the fact that you can find the other one used says people are not using it like they thought they would. to me anyway.

so i guess im leaning toward the nicer one, but whether trip or quad i can't say. plan on any more kids? maybe that would be a factor to help you decide? either way, good luck and congrats on your new baby boy! i have 3 boys too. :goodvibes: post pics when you get your stroller! :mrgreen:

FallBabies 02-27-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titania (Post 6465148)
if you get a stroller that is miserable to use, you won't use it. and will have wasted your money. :2cents:

as for trip or quad--will the income generated by watching the little boy offset the cost of upgrading to a quad? how long do you foresee watching him for? do you go out for walks now?

there is a mama on here who has the quad mountain buggy one, and i think she loves it. my guess is if you can't find it used, people are either not buying it, or love it enough to keep it. the fact that you can find the other one used says people are not using it like they thought they would. to me anyway.

so i guess im leaning toward the nicer one, but whether trip or quad i can't say. plan on any more kids? maybe that would be a factor to help you decide? either way, good luck and congrats on your new baby boy! i have 3 boys too. :goodvibes: post pics when you get your stroller! :mrgreen:

You bring up really good points. The quad mountain buggy is hard to find b/c it is made in NZ, not in the US, so it just isn't seen much here (I originally found out about it through that mama's post!)
The boy that I am watching is (assuming all goes well) going to be a permanent thing. I'll have him 3 or more days per week every week; the quad is expensive, but I probably should have it if I ever want to get out of the house (and the cost would be covered in about two weeks of watching him.)

DH doesn't want more kids, but I would like to try for a girl sometime. (Plus, I always liked larger families!:goodvibes: ) My gut says go for the nice quad. I guess it is just a matter of convincing DH (who doesn't use the stroller, of course!) that it is a necessity.

titania 02-28-2009 07:31 AM

also, since its a nice stroller, and nit as easy to come by, you would probably have no problems selling it, if its listed in the right place.

3miracles 03-06-2009 11:25 PM

I have a triple stroller and it is nice because all the kids fit in it and I can get out and about with them. BUT, it is hard to get in and out of the car and weighs about 100 pounds when I have to push it with all of them in it. With that said, I saw a women and the mall the other day pushing a quad stroller around and it took everything she had to make that thing turn the corner. It did not look like an easy thing to steer let alone push and she didn't even have little tiny babies in it.

That is a hard call to make, it's nice to be able to have freedom and get out and also have the kids contained.
Have you looked into the triple sit and stand? It could easily fit all the kids and it would be easier to deal with. put the youngest two in the seats and one can sit in the very back and the other stand right there also (or they both can stand/sit). I am seriously considering getting rid of my triple to get a regular sit and stand.
HTH

zeotwoski 03-10-2009 02:35 PM

As far as a bigger stroller being harder to push (like that lady in the mall) it's completely dependent on the stroller, not the number or even size of the kiddos in it.
-I worked in a toddler room at a child care center and we had 4 seater run abouts. Never had trouble with pushing or even turning those with 4 2 year olds.
-I bought a single Combi full size stroller and from 7 to 33 lbs, I have not been able to steer the thing yet! Just a bad design somehow.
-two toddlers in a Mac double sent me to L&D at 20 some weeks pg!

My point is...it doesn't matter how many kids are in it, you need something that actually works. Like pp said, if you save a few bucks and never use it because it sucks, you've wasted all the $$.

But I'm interested to hear other people's answers--I'll soon need a triple or quad myself!

e-dub 03-11-2009 05:55 AM

I have 9 month old twins and a 21 month old toddler (exactly a year apart). I usually use my double and wear someone, so that's what I would suggest for you--a triple and wearing someone. Seriously, my double and my Beco are my #1 most valuable parenting tools. That said, I do have a triple. It's a beast to push, and that's why I can't imagine pushing a quad, but sometimes it's nice to have. I bought a triple Mountain Buggy on Craigslist for $100. Steal. All it needed was air in the tires and a date with a scrub brush and the water hose. I highly suggest you start watching your Craigslist. Mine (Houston) currently has a triple Baby Jogger and a triple Runabout listed. OR, my other favorite option, if you think you could your new one until he/she can sit up steadily, is the Choo Choo wagon. We LOVE ours. You can add a 4th "car" to it easily enough if you want a quad. Way cheaper than strollers and great for the neighborhood or zoo.

Here's a pic
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...s/IMG_1655.jpg

I bought mine on the Step2 website.

HTH!

5IrishBabes 03-16-2009 08:23 PM

I have a Valco Trimode Twin Jogger with the optional 3rd seat and love it.
Pros
3rd seat pops off and on quickly-I can easily wear the baby and not use the
3rd seat
Holds up to 150 lbs
Pushes like a dream over any kind of terrain
Is not very heavy at all
I love the colors and style and it is well built
Plus I love that since eventually I'll only need a double I already have one
Can buy an additional buggy board
Cons
It is awkward to put in the car, not heavy just difficult to get the right hold
Pricey

kristinc 03-17-2009 05:32 PM

i am kind if in a similiar situation....i want a quad stroller but think the prices on them ($1200) are insane!!! i do love the quad buggy and would love to score one used.

for your situation, what do you think the likelihood that you will have another child is?? b/c if you invest a lot of money in a triplet stroller and then in a year or so you have another baby then buying the quad stroller now would be a smarter plan...esp since you having the daycare lo around for the forseeable future. i have looked at the foundations one that they sell at babies r us and target, but many mamas have said they are super heavy (one told me it weighs about 125lbs) and that it doesn't go through doorways....so you would only be able to take it around your neighborhood and to the park. I am not sure if you would be taking them anywhere else than that, but when you don't have the daycare guy you may want to go to a store or something like that and the super wide stroller would not allow that. i ahve seen those roundabouts for sale here and there, but i think they are sooooo ugly and forget about going any place and not drawing some serious attention to yourself. i don't know where you live, but i would look in to moms of multiples groups.....you can post an iso so and so kind of stroller there. Those moms are always more willing to sell to fellow members than to list their stuff up on craigslist. But i would be checking craigslist also. And also see if the local resale baby stores can put you on a call list...aka when a triplet or quad stroller comes in, they call you to get first dibs. I don't know what your time frame is, but the more time you have to look the better deal you will be able to find on a stroller that you really want.

kristinc 03-17-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5IrishBabes (Post 6645102)
I have a Valco Trimode Twin Jogger with the optional 3rd seat and love it.
Pros
3rd seat pops off and on quickly-I can easily wear the baby and not use the
3rd seat
Holds up to 150 lbs
Pushes like a dream over any kind of terrain
Is not very heavy at all
I love the colors and style and it is well built
Plus I love that since eventually I'll only need a double I already have one
Can buy an additional buggy board
Cons
It is awkward to put in the car, not heavy just difficult to get the right hold
Pricey

i have heard mention of this stroller....do you have a picture with the 3rd seat attached or a link?