Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Use Questions - Ask the Pros (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   MALWARE is back! virus just tried to download on my computer!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683413)

Ellowyn 02-28-2009 06:16 AM

MALWARE is back! virus just tried to download on my computer!!

Is VirusDoctor legitimate or is that the name of the hoax that tries to download the virus? While posting this am, I got a pop-up that said my computer was at risk for all these viruses -Adware, malware, trogans, etc and I needed to immediately download virusdoctor or risk system crash! What do I do?

growbabygrow 02-28-2009 06:56 AM

Re: MALWARE is back! virus just tried to download on my computer!!

Dont download any virus protectors! The only way I got rid of the last one that was on my computer was to install Norton. There is a way that you can have your computer reset back to a day within the last month I believe. I cant remember if it is under the control panel or not. I hope someone can help you because my DH actually tried to install the "free" virus protector and we lost everything.:cry:

Junipervt 02-28-2009 06:58 AM

I think it's a virus trying to get in. I had this happen to me a few months ago & the virus got in. It wouldn't let me download any legit antivirus sotware. I ended up having to format my hard drive to get rid of it.

Ellowyn 02-28-2009 06:59 AM

Can't I just press cntrl alt and delete and reset the computer?

I still have the screen up in windows...how do I do a screenshot so I can post what it looks like?

MommaMcCord 02-28-2009 10:07 AM

Just happened to me too. Luckily, I'm actually very GOOD at getting rid of viruses. :)

ASAP when it happens, Ctrl+ALT+Delete, and close Internet Explorer. Often this will be enough if you do it quickly enough and don't click on ANYTHING that pops up and says "Cancel" or even "Close" except for the Task Manager. This particular one took over my IE even after I closed it and re-opened.

I always have "Hijack This" on my computer, just in case the computer gets so infested that it takes over my internet. If you already have the programs installed, you don't have to worry about not being able to download help.

Whenever something like this takes over, I just open up Hijack This and run it, and delete anything that doesn't look familiar. I would highly suggest getting familiar with what's on it normally before you start deleting, though.

I guess the key is being prepared for when it does happen. If you're able to get your computer back to working correctly, go download Hijack This and download Ad-Aware. Both are free. Familiarize yourself with both programs, so that you already know how to work them when a problem arises.

If you have any questions, let me know, I'll try to help. :)

mikoto127 02-28-2009 01:27 PM

EEP!!! You know...I have NoScript on my computer and I have quantserve.com blocked and it seems to help.

pepinanthony 02-28-2009 08:42 PM

Kaspersky catches this virus as well. I was actually heavily infected when I bought the program and it got rid of everything. I love this virus protector!

scape1224 02-28-2009 09:00 PM

ugh, i got this this morning and left it up for dh to deal with on our upstairs laptop.

i had no clue.

i will go x it out and reset my computer to an earlier time.

will that work?

pepinanthony 02-28-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scape1224 (Post 6476058)
ugh, i got this this morning and left it up for dh to deal with on our upstairs laptop.

i had no clue.

i will go x it out and reset my computer to an earlier time.

will that work?

I did that to mine once. Keep an eye on your virus protector. I used Norton and I never knew the virus disabled it and it didn't enable or update again on its own. By the time I realised it, I was swimming in viruses.

April

kt~mommy 02-28-2009 10:10 PM

came up for me also this morning. the window brought up something that looked like the control panel page saying it was finding viruses on "my computer" and "my documents" etc. then you had to push "okay" (or whatever to confirm) or "cancel" then underneath it said something like pushing cancel will download something. anyway, i was able to "x" out of the window itself, as "x"ing out of the pop-up box didn't make it go away. when i came back on ds later, there were no problems.