Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   staring into space (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68474)

MamaMel 12-01-2006 11:40 AM

staring into space

is this normal behavior for a 8.5 month old? Ive caught my DD about 5 times just staring w/ a blank look on her face. a few of the times she came out of it and started crying. My DS never did this so thats why im wondering. Its weird my 2 children are exact opposites

KnottyLDSMama 12-01-2006 11:54 AM

Re: staring into space

I have a friend who's little girl does this and she has petit mal seizures.

daisyprincess98 12-01-2006 11:58 AM

Sounds to me like she's tired. JMHO.

GoddessWifeMom 12-01-2006 12:09 PM

My DD does this and it's her Complex Partial seizures.

Also Absence seizures are very similar.

BUT that doesn't mean this is what is happening to your DD. Is she tired afterward?? If you yell at her or touch her or talk to her does she seem to respond??

Kids do get dreamy and such when they are tired or just about any other time it's hard to say without being a professional.

I would keep note of it and make a list of each occurence and EXACTALLY what happens during before and after the occurence. Make a not of the time too.

Then the next time you see the DR bring it up, and you will have the record.

If they think it might be seizures your description of it and your record will be vital in helping determine it.

urchin_grey 12-01-2006 12:15 PM

I would get her checked out... especially if she's doing it often. DS has a brain malformation that makes him prone to seizures and when we got the whole "rundown" before we left the NICU on what to look for, staring into space was one of the things. It could be nothing... but its better to know for sure, kwim? I hope she's ok. :hugs:

serena22304 12-01-2006 12:32 PM

my dd does this, but she also has epilepsy so it is common for her to do this.
she has these episodes and most of the time she will stop what she is doing, stare off and then once she snaps out of it she proceeds in doing what she was doing beforehand.

not saying that is what is wrong with your dd, but i would get her checked out just to be on the safe side

jenn5388 12-01-2006 12:52 PM

Yeah.. it's better to get checked out. the first thing I thought was Seizures.
I don't know anyone personally that suffers from them, but I've heard my share of stories that start out with the child "staring off in space" Also I watched a show on TLC about a little boy that had some kind of condition that made him stare off into space like that.. it was because he was having Seizures. gosh.. i can't remember it. I do know they switched him over to a Gluten Fee Diet.. and he got alot better. it might ring a bell with someone here. lol

It could be nothing.. and it could be something.. hope it's nothing!

Hayley 12-01-2006 09:56 PM

Noah does this sometimes. Maybe she is just freaking herself out because it is new? I hope she is okay. I think she is just testing her new discovery! But next time you see your ped let them know. :hugs:

tararaboomdeea 12-01-2006 10:02 PM

I'd ask your Ped, but I'm sure it's nothing serious. She's probably just tired, or really interested on a light shining on the wall. :hugs:

JustAugust 12-01-2006 10:15 PM

Ditto the others, I'd get it checked out, but it's probably nothing to worry about that. I did that as a young child, and I do it a ton now too. Not the exact same as a baby doing it, but still.