Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ideal birth setting (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6885)

dirtdartwife 05-18-2006 02:02 AM

Ideal birth setting

I can remember a few years ago, during a night of my infamous insomnia, I watched some birth story of this woman that lived in Hawaii, was pregnant with her first child, was very "bohemian" (if you will) and planned to give birth in a lagoon. She did have her husband there and a friend that happened to be a doctor, but she gave birth, totally unassisted in this lagoon. She said that during labor and the contractions, the water soothed her, helped her hips and helped her to relax. Then the saltiness of the water soothed her perineum and other nether regions so she was able to relax enough especially during the pushing phase. And since the entire thing was done in water, letting the placenta come out naturally and just "let it float off" was easy for them to do. Also, the water in the lagoon was a very gorgeous, crystal clear blue...

I don't know about ya'll... but that sounds heavenly to me. I've had three hospital births, the worst was the first and I've been gaining speed to get out of there since. DH is a worrywart when it comes to giving birth (all those "whatifs") but I'd really like to try something different. So this birth story I just related sounds neat. Not like I'll be able to try it any time soon...

But what do ya'll think? What would be your ideal birth setting and why? :popcorn:

momof4 05-18-2006 04:20 AM

Re: Ideal birth setting

For me, the ideal would be home. Wanted to do it with #2, but he went into distress (dropped heart rate during contractions), so ended up in the hospital with a c/s. With #3, they said I had to be in a hospital to watch out for ruptures, and even though I successfully VBACed, now, in my mid-40's, have been told I should go to the hospital because of my age. Sigh.

Luv2bemommy 05-18-2006 06:16 AM

We had done this excersize during our doula training and I did the typical "labor at home, soft lights, only dh, myself, midwife in water etc" But after hearing everyone else's expierences I am gonna steal one of the other girls idea's, since it was amazing (of course adding my own stuff in)!

My ideal birth setting is at a tropical place far away from here, far from any hospital.. I want to just have the baby with dh and myself present, with a midwife/doula in the background "in case". I want all the windows to be open, it be a warm summer night where the cool breeze can come in and take away the pain. I want to be able to hear the ocean (and just the ocean) and smell the salt. I want the room I give birth in to be lit by candles with a large view of the ocean, A large soft bed that lays really low to the ground. A soft color, with famuliar smells from home, but just lightly. I want to give birth just as the sunrises leaning on dh for support him giving me tons of encouragement, kissing my forehead, etc and then once the baby is born, no need to rush to cut the cord or give him/her a bath, just sit there in amazement of our newest member of the family, something our love had created. Then wrapped with the warmth of the sun I would start breastfeeding, which would go perfect right from the start, no problems just instant bliss!

Then afterwards take the most relaxing bath ever in a HUGE whirlpool tub with baby, then followed by a short trip to the beach, were we are greeted with the rest of our family.. :goodvibes:

Yes corny I know but isnt it just perfect? :loveit: :loveit: :loveit: :loveit:

MistyP 05-18-2006 06:16 AM

My midwife gave me a video on Russian waterbirths, I don't remember the name of it though. It had a section on there of a group that has their babies in the Black Sea, it also had home waterbirths.

When they are pg they go swimming every day even when they have to break the ice :afraid: It showed several deliveries in the sea (warmer weather!!) and the babies like swimming underwater. Every year they would take the babies back to the sea.

It was very interesting although I don't see myself doing it!

Luv2bemommy 05-18-2006 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MistyP
My midwife gave me a video on Russian waterbirths, I don't remember the name of it though. It had a section on there of a group that has their babies in the Black Sea, it also had home waterbirths.

When they are pg they go swimming every day even when they have to break the ice :afraid: It showed several deliveries in the sea (warmer weather!!) and the babies like swimming underwater. Every year they would take the babies back to the sea.

It was very interesting although I don't see myself doing it!

Oh man this reminds me of a video I watched.. In our training we had watched this video on women from South America, how they would give birth totally alone, unassisted.. They would be working and just stop, squat and give birth then stand up and continue doing what they were doing before! It was insane, the women never looked scared, they were like super woman or something.. LOL

jedibunni 05-18-2006 06:44 AM

Oh!!!! I love these threads!!!! We're ttc#3 and I sooooooo wish I could have a homebirth!!! DH is totally against it....which I don't get since he was born at home in another country!!!! His mom obviously loves the idea....

Anyway...

I would love to be at home, in a pool or bathtub.....candles everywhere....playing my "mood" music (that what my dh calls it :))

Just my hubby and midwife. Ahhhhhh, wouldn't that be lovely. I would love to just crawl into my own bed after having a baby.

Sigh.....

Mom22girlz 05-18-2006 09:15 AM

I am going to schedule a C- section with my third but if I had to dream.....

I would love to got to the Farm in Tennesse and give birth there. In one of those cabins that have been the homes to many pregnant moms. That has been my dream ever since I read Ina Mays book when I was pg with DD#2.

That being said each one of my labors were long and ended in a c-section and so an ideal birth place will be the next one were I will feel no pain untill the meds were off after the c-section and not have 60 hours of labor before the c-section. I think I will go get a manicure and pedicure have my hair styled and just have a day for pampering the day before my next scheduled C-section.
Rachel

Korbins Mommy 05-18-2006 09:23 AM

I'm a high risk prego so home birth is out for me. Poop.

My total, awesome, birth dream would have to be....my husband would have to give birth and I get to hang out with the girls at the bar afterwards to celebrate.

What 'cha think? LOL!

Mom22girlz 05-18-2006 09:33 AM

:spit: :laugh:
That is a good one.

smugsmilz 05-18-2006 09:52 AM

Quote:

My total, awesome, birth dream would have to be....my husband would have to give birth and I get to hang out with the girls at the bar afterwards to celebrate.

What 'cha think? LOL!
I think you are onto something! Ill present the idea to Dh tonight....:happyclap: