Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Health Department/WIC - Vax Exemption forms??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692090)

Terra 03-10-2009 11:31 AM

Health Department/WIC - Vax Exemption forms???

So WIC has never really bothered me about our VERY selective/delayed vaccine schedule....until now!:headscratch:

The lady said today "I'll give you one more month then you MUST bring in the form from the doctor refusing any shots"...Umm....legally I didn't think they could do this....

I'm thinking of just going to the health department and getting the exemp forms and fill them out and give them to the WIC office [along with a copy of the vax laws in Florida!]

Has anyone every gone to the Health Department here? I have to be honest and say ours is literally creepy looking from the outside to me...it's in old trailers and they are filthy on the outside...I cringe everytime I go by.

So what I do ask them once I'm inside? Will they need their SS numbers or can I refuse to give that too them?
What of the WIC situation...can they legally demand a refusal form??

Thanks mamas!

amjbmommy 03-10-2009 12:25 PM

Re: Health Department/WIC - Vax Exemption forms???

I'm in MA so I don't know if it differs from state to state but we have absolutely no problem with delay/selective/no vaxing..... I don't even need to show an exemption form or anything but I did find this online.... not sure if it will give you the info you need but there are some ph #'s at the bottom you could try calling to see if you could get any answers. http://www.doh.state.fl.us/family/wic/pages/wic.htm

douxmusique 03-10-2009 02:17 PM

i'd love to hear about this too. The forms are available at the health department? I haven't heard anything from the WIC office either.

~Laura~ 03-10-2009 03:01 PM

You can just print a form online. Here is Florida's.
They usually don't ask for a form around here, but just want you to sign the AAP form (do NOT sign that). You really shouldn't need to go to the Health Dept though.

Terra 03-10-2009 07:01 PM

Thanks mamas!

With more and more people delaying/selective or not doing vaxes they are going to have to realize they shouldn't be so pushy! lol

AnnaG01 03-10-2009 07:03 PM

What a PITA, I've been having phone calls from the GA Dept of Health...and I can almost guarantee they're calling because I just enrolled Riley in preschool and used a vax exemption..ugg

Terra 03-10-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaG01 (Post 6581462)
What a PITA, I've been having phone calls from the GA Dept of Health...and I can almost guarantee they're calling because I just enrolled Riley in preschool and used a vax exemption..ugg

:nak:
I'm so not giving them a phone number when/if I go get the forms...I'm saying I don't have one...lol..
Because heaven help the person that calls me..

It really annoys me that they bug you...because we do, as Americans, have the RIGHT to make our own medical choices...[for now!]...I wish they would remember that when hounding us!

sourpatch_babe 03-10-2009 07:20 PM

I went to the health dept and got the vax exemptions. Basically all they needed was their socials and my info. Only form that I signed was the actual exemption (the lady from the health dept signed it too). It took literally all of five minutes to get the form once I actually made it to the window, about eleventeen hours to get to said window:giggle: They've not asked me about the form at the WIC office. The only time that it came up, they asked me if I'd brought their shot records and I told them we didn't vax. The lady updated the info on their pc and that was the end of it. Maybe because it was the BF coordinator that asked they didn't ask any more questions?

sourpatch_babe 03-10-2009 07:22 PM

Oh, and I did not get any calls from the health dept even though I enrolled The Kid in preschool with the exemption. And the lady did tell me that up to two years ago, anyone that had gotten even one vax could not get an exemption. Thankfully they'd changed the rules.

sourpatch_babe 03-10-2009 07:23 PM

I also forgot too:blush:, since The Kid has had some vaxes, the lady printed me off a list of the vaxes he's gotten in case I "ever wanted to vax again, I'd know which ones he'd had"