Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I need Advise mamas!!! *Another Update* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692870)

SarahOxley 03-11-2009 09:15 AM

I need Advise mamas!!! *Another Update*

Ok so about 3 weeks ago my son ended up in the ER. One of the 3 things he had was an ear infection. We went into his regular doc a week after the ER trip. He STILL had an ear infection. So they wanted to change his meds, and they decided to put him on 1000mg A DAY of amoxicillin!!! I tried to tell him amoxicillin does not work for him but he didn't care. The pedi said it was an amped up dose so it should. Well I don't think it did.... He's off his meds. He's suppose to go in friday but I think I might try to get him in today. Now let me say since Dec 15th he has been on 5 different meds for ear infections. He had an ear infection on the Dec 15th, then again Dec 29th. He had one almost 3 weeks ago. And then this last one that he just finished meds for. Now my question is... do you think I should take him in today or just wait it out??? Should I get a different doc for this?? He has had 5 ear infections and no talk of ENT yet. What would you do mamas???

*Update- have an appointment for 4:30 tonight. Will let you know more!!!

*Update* Ear infection is gone but the doc is calling the ENT tomorrow for me to set up an appointment.... it's about time in my eyes!!!

*Update 3-12-09* So the appointment is set for 2:30 on the 30th. I'll take that.

Mama2acrew 03-11-2009 09:23 AM

Re: I need Advise mamas!!!

I would start the talk of the ENT. Pronto! We went through the hell you are with our youngest. A year ago he got tubes put in and life has been ear infection free (until 3 weeks ago) since. My LO takes two teaspoons every evening of benedryl for allergies because I am a scripto-phobe. I thought OTC was better if we could get by on it :blush: My doc always works with me and what I want to do :wub: But seriously, he never needed the benedryl until night time... Then he was hyped up for half the night. I got freaking tired! So, I took him off the benedryl. BOOM! Ear infection! The doc said we have to go back on it at least until the infection was gone. I almost cried! I asked for something that would make him tired :blush: So, we went onto zyrtec and WOW! It is amazing! Ears cleared up (two antibiotics later) and I have not wiped his nose once since going on the zyrtec! No itchy eyes... It does not make him tired, but he sleeps much much better!
I would fight to get to the ENT. All the antibiotics are so hard on their little bodies. The tubes was simple, he never even had an IV put in for it, and fast. After life was great. I wish we had done it many months sooner when my doc first mentioned it after the second ear infection in a row.
(((Healing vibes))) I hope you get in and he gets better fast!!!

tallanvor 03-11-2009 11:37 AM

Re: I need Advise mamas!!! *Update*

I would see a different doctor. Either a different ped or a ENT doc. That is an awful lot of ear infections in a short time.

SarahOxley 03-11-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 6587851)
I would see a different doctor. Either a different ped or a ENT doc. That is an awful lot of ear infections in a short time.

It's been 3 (4 if you consider this last one that he's been on 2 meds for) ear infections. The first one was Dec 15th. He was put on sulfa but is allergic to it so they changed his meds to Amoxicillin. He finished those meds on Dec 26th. Went back in on the 29th to find out he had another one. Was put on augmenten(sp?). Then the one found about 3 weeks ago he was put on omicef for. When we went in a week later the infection had actually gotten worse so they put him on the Amoxicillin again. Does that make sense?? haha. That's alot of meds to me!!

Mama2acrew 03-11-2009 01:10 PM

(((GOOD LUCK))) Be proactive! Tell the doc your concerns! Tell the doc what you expect and be firm in conveying your feelings.

SarahOxley 03-11-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama2acrew (Post 6589097)
(((GOOD LUCK))) Be proactive! Tell the doc your concerns! Tell the doc what you expect and be firm in conveying your feelings.

Oh I plan on it. I'm just worried I'm going to go in for nothing and it not be another one. But I guess I'd rather know either way. I do know that this doc and I have butted heads before. This is just another thing I'll have to put my foot down on. I've done it before and I'll do it again. My DS is to important to just let the doc call all the shots!!

jujusmommy 03-11-2009 05:42 PM

How'd the Dr.'s appointment go? I am always butting heads with DD's Dr. I hate the...I've raised 5 kids, so it should be done this way! Grrrrrr......

SarahOxley 03-11-2009 07:02 PM

Re: I need Advise mamas!!! *After Appointment Update*

Appointment update everyone. it was sooo nice!! He brought it up and it ended up good. He's going to call them tomorrow for me!!

kiwi87 03-11-2009 07:11 PM

:hugs: I hope everything turns out okay for your DS. My younger brother and my younger sister both had chronic ear infections when they were little, and both eventually had tubes put in. I am glad that your doc is finally listening to your concerns, I was going to agree that you need to see an ENT.

momof3boys1girl 03-11-2009 07:28 PM

:hugs: we went through the same thing a year ago. DS had an ongoing ear infection for over 3 months. He was on 4 rounds of med including a shot and nothing worked. It truly opened my eyes and I researched just how inaffective RX are for inner ear infections. I started getting him adjusted and electronic accupunture and it cleared up. I am SO thankful for our chiropractor and am just amazed and how awsome it was to see my son relived after each adjustment. We ended up seeing the ENT anyways just to get his hearing checked which came back 100% so no hearing loss from the infection. GL mama and I would truly recommend getting your ds adjusted to make sure the infection stays away.