Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My 1yr old cries.....a lot (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694530)

AllyAsh 03-13-2009 12:13 AM

My 1yr old cries.....a lot

Background: We do NOT CIO. My DD had colic for the first 3 months and did not like to be held but would go in the ring sling if we were out and about. But we really couldn't go anywhere for the first 3 months because she would just scream and scream.

She cut her first teeth around 4 months old. She seemed to be relatively happy though from 3 months to about 8 months. Around 8 months, she started cutting more teeth. And she got a lot fussier.

She has NEVER slept through the night (okay - - - like less than 10 times since birth). Usually she wakes up twice in the night but the past couple of months she is waking up 10 or so times.

During the day now, she cries. A lot. She cries just about everything - riding in the car, eating, if I try to hold her she screams to get down. I feel like she is so unhappy and I just want to see her smile and hear her laugh again.

So my question (if you made it this far - thank you so much): Is this normal? Is it possible for her to be this miserable and cry all day long because of teething? Is this just a normal stage that they go through around 1 year old?

I did take her to an early developmental screening to rule out early childhood developmental issues and she scored just great.

I just want to hold her (okay now I'm crying because I need to get this out) I just want to hold her and cuddle her and she's never let me do that and it really hurts my feelings. How can I attachment parent to a baby who hates being held?

:cry:

martimeCDnewbie 03-13-2009 05:31 AM

Re: My 1yr old cries.....a lot

Hey mama,

My DD is just 9 months old but she wants to be held less..she is so busy checking everythign out and she is on the move. she wants to explore...get around on her own. Independant woman!

Other than that i don't have any help for you..hopefully its just a phase? I just read your post and it made me feel sad for you..so i wanted to say :hugs:

AllyAsh 03-13-2009 05:45 AM

Thanks. I just wonder if all the crying over everyday things is normal. :(

Baliezer 03-13-2009 09:07 AM

I would call your pediatrician and let them know whats going on. Perhaps she could be hurting somehow and can't tell you?

tallanvor 03-13-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baliezer (Post 6610272)
I would call your pediatrician and let them know whats going on. Perhaps she could be hurting somehow and can't tell you?

I agree with this. Even my least touchy child would want to be held some.

mum2James&Julia 03-13-2009 09:14 AM

Everything you've written has been normal for us at various times in my dd's life, EXCEPT the fact that she won't let you hold her and comfort her. That would be a giant red flag for sensory problems to me. I've known a few kids like this (varying degrees of the same problem) and it's always sensory related (Sensory Integration Dysfunction). I would talk to your doctor and have her evaluated... if this is the problem, the earlier you start therapy the easier it will be to fix the problem. Alternatively, she could have a physical problem (such as a broken bone) and that's why she doesn't want to be coddled - because it hurts her more.

I think all kids go through phases where they're unusually upset and cry at every little thing, at least mine did, but they were always able to be soothed (more or less ;) )

AllyAsh 03-14-2009 01:10 AM

she does like to be held when she wakes at night and she wants to be rocked to sleep
btu that's the only time she lets me hold her unless she's nursing

and she's been like this since birth pretty much so I doubt it's a broken bone

I did take her to the ped and an early developmental pediatrician and they said she's on target.

i dunno i guess i'm being paranoid - i just wish she was happier