Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BEST TIP for hard water (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695554)

2under2 03-14-2009 11:03 AM

BEST TIP for hard water

so after struggling with our hard water issues, i finally started using calgon water softner. but it is SOOO expensive, so i had an idea and tried it and it works GREAT!! i have used it several times now with no problems and only good results so i am hoping you can try it and post how it works for you!!!

So i sent dh out to buy a big bag (40lb) of water softner pellets (like morton the kind you would buy to put in a water softner) but then i put 15 pellets in for diapers (i do a cold rinse, then a hot wash so i put them in with the hot water) it works great!! no more stinkies, and no more drawn out stripping!!!

i also use it for my regular laundry and the clothes are coming out great too!! not nearly as many stains, and it is not dingy looking anymore!! i use 10 pellets for regular laundry on hot and i use 5 pellets for my cold washes (fleece) . so i have a big bag that will last me who knows how long for less then 5 bucks, which is what i was basically spending PER WEEK on the other stuff!!!

so try it and tell me if it works for you!! ( i have only bought the pellets i don't know if the crystals would work too)

Good Luck:goodvibes:

Apple_Dumplin 03-14-2009 11:32 AM

Re: BEST TIP for hard water

This is very interesting! We have extremely hard water too. I'd be interested in gettin some of this. Where did you get it? I wonder if you screwed it into your shower head if it would soften the water there or just block it? :giggle:

2under2 03-14-2009 11:52 AM

you can buy it at most hardware stores, or menards, home depo, fleet farm, etc.

TinkerPlink 03-14-2009 09:46 PM

Do you have a particular brand to recommend? I see that you mentioned Morton's - is this what you bought? I agree, Calgon is ultra pricey, and I can't find coupons/deals anywhere!

shetibo 03-14-2009 10:47 PM

i read your title and i was gunna suggest salt even thought i have never tired it cuz i thought you were looking for tips!
how funny! i might have to try that! thanks

JMBaby 03-15-2009 12:52 AM

WOW! Thank you SOOOO much. We just moved to hard water country two weeks ago and I have been battling my water the ENTIRE time. I bought the Calgon but you're right, it is very pricey, not to mention the detergent is pricey as well. Washing ANYTHING was getting to be an expensive routine.

I will DEFINITELY try this and report back! I'm off to Menard's tomorrow.

You just put the pebbles right in the washing machine? Do they dissolve entirely with each load?

whiteyacht 03-15-2009 01:06 AM

Great idea!

kali'smommy 03-15-2009 02:11 AM

does anyone think this would work if I only have cold water?? how do you know how much to use??

AguaViva 03-15-2009 06:39 PM

Question: do you think this will this cause a rash? i recently switched from Baking Soda to Calgon and my LO broke out in a horrible rash (only figured out recently that it was the calgon thanks to a DS mama). We have very hard water, too.

2under2 03-16-2009 02:06 PM

i have no idea about rashes..

yes i put the pellets right on the bottom of the washer before i put the clothes in,

for cold water i use just 5 , i did more but they didn't dissolve, 5 dissolved completely in cold water,

for warm or hot water 10-15 pellets are good and dissolve completely!