Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When did you leave your kids... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69637)

presleycaedmon 12-04-2006 04:12 PM

When did you leave your kids...

In the church nursery? DD is 8 months old and she just started really eating solids in the last two weeks so she's pretty much EBF'd. Up until now no one really said anything to me about leaving her in the nursery but now that she's a little older I'm starting to get some comments. Not negative comments, just comments. KWIM?

Here are some of the reasons I'm not ready to leave her...
(I work in the church nursery once or twice a month so I know these things first hand)

*Nursery workers are constantly giving the babies cheerios even though most of the babies aren't ready for them. This point has been proven time and again when I've had to finger sweep cheerios out of a gagging babies mouth.

*Nursery workers always say "Oh, we'll come get you if she gets upset". But they don't! There are always kids in there screaming their hearts out for a good 30 minutes while nursery workers try to conjole them into happiness.

*DD just barely tolerates me leaving the room when we're at home with DH and DS much less with complete strangers!!

She's a very attached baby and we all (dd, dh, and I) like it that way. I'm always hearing comments (when people are trying to get DD to come to them) like "You'll have to let go of mama sometime" and "You can't stay attached to her forever".

So, my questions are...When did you let your DC stay in the church nursery? and If you were "delayed" in that decision, how did you handle the comments?"

Mommy2JJ 12-04-2006 04:18 PM

Re: When did you leave your kids...

My ds is 17 months and I still don't leave him in the church nursery. We don't have one church that we always go to either, I don't think even if we did I would leave him with complete strangers yet.

He is getting close to me being able to leave him at Jazzercise in the nursery, but I still feel uneasy about it. Now he stays with my mom and grandma just fine but knows them very well. I want him to comfortable with it and I don't think he is quite ready for complete strangers yet.

I say do what your heart says.....I have got a few comments for not leaving him with people overnight and I just kind of brush it off.

HTH :hugs:

masonite 12-04-2006 04:42 PM

Well... our church nursery doesn't allow you to leave them until they are 18 months old.

Camden is 21 (almost 22!) months old, and he has only been left a handful of times.

Reasons?
-Camden has allergy issues. Although I tell them EVERY time that he cannot have anything with soy or cheese in it, they act surprised every time I tell them, so it obviously isn't sticking! I've taken to handing them a bag of "Cam approved" snacks for snack times; even still, either me or my husband remain in there during snack time. (Since they STILL serve cheese crackers! Granted, they don't give them to Cam, but all the kids are always reaching off the other kids "plates".)

-Camden has a lot of health issues. Nobody in our church has the decency to keep their kids home when they are sick. Something that might be minor to their child (cold) can be determental to Camden. Lately, we haven't been taking him to church at all (we trade off weeks, one week I stay home, the next week DH stays home), just to avoid this problem.

-He's a mama's boy (and Daddys boy!). He doesn't do well being left, and I'm not going to let him scream for hours! Our church time (and his nursery time) is right during his normal nap time, so he's grumpy and tired anyway.

I'm not overprotective (okay, I am), I'm just smart. ;)

presleycaedmon 12-04-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masonite (Post 503861)
I'm not overprotective (okay, I am), I'm just smart. ;)

Amen!

mom2kdmb 12-04-2006 05:15 PM

I'll never leave my dd w/ anybody, even if it was in church nursery. I will never forget my ds crying when I left him in daycare! It was horrible!

KnottyLDSMama 12-04-2006 05:18 PM

Sorry to hijack, but what do you do w/them if you don't leave them in the nursery? I really wanna start going back to my UU church, but I can't leave DS (who's only 8 months) by himself. I think I'd be more comfortable having him with me if they had benches where I could get comfortable and nurse him to keep him quiet during service, but my church just has chairs. :(

presleycaedmon 12-04-2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonprysm (Post 503963)
Sorry to hijack, but what do you do w/them if you don't leave them in the nursery? I really wanna start going back to my UU church, but I can't leave DS (who's only 8 months) by himself. I think I'd be more comfortable having him with me if they had benches where I could get comfortable and nurse him to keep him quiet during service, but my church just has chairs. :(

I wear DD in the MT. She falls asleep during worship and usually stays asleep for the rest of the service. If she wakes up during the service we go hang out in the nursery till church is over.

amegrl520 12-04-2006 06:34 PM

At my church they have to be a year to be left in the nursery so he's just getting into it now. He's very much a mommas boy and can't stand it when I'm not watching over his shoulder so he's gotten sent back the 2 times he was there. I fully intend to keep sending him though. I really need the refreshment I get from being able really pay attention to what is going on in the service and to be able to focus my attention on the Lord instead of watching over my shoulder every minute to see what he's doing!

Rhianna'sMommy 12-04-2006 06:40 PM

DD was a little over a year and she went willingly and loved to play in there. Around 15 mo she started HATING going in there so we stopped trying. Then around 20 mo we tried again and she loves it and asks to go in there now. A couple weeks ago there was a husband in there and she wouldn't go in so we didn't push the issue and just took her back to church with us. So basically if she wants to go play she can but we don't make her if she doesn't want to go.

mamaneedsanap 12-04-2006 06:43 PM

my daughter was almost 2 when she started going to nursery. my son is a year and still isn't in it. people tell me all the time I can take him to nursery and I just say "K thanks" and keep him with me. My daughter still stays for the first half too I just bring quite stuff for them to do. Most of the time I had my son in the sling just sitting on my lap facing me and he would fall asleep or eat.

If he acts up I just go sit outside the worship area and listen over the speaker system.