Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   First nursing bra? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7012)

Emma 05-18-2006 02:12 PM

First nursing bra?

I know there are other threads about nursing bras, and I've looked at the websites of some of the brands mentions....what would you recommend for someone who's just going to be starting out? Too many choices make it confusing! :blush: I was a 34B pre-pregnancy, and I'm a 36C right now. My EDD isn't until July 1, but the way things have been going recently, I don't think she'll be waiting that long to make her appearance!

Thanks, ladies!

havanadaydreamin 05-18-2006 05:54 PM

Re: First nursing bra?

For the first few weeks while I was home on leave, I lived in bravado bras. I could sleep in them and everything.

For something cheaper, you could try the Yes! bras on Ebay. They are similar to bravado but about half the price.

AmandaSue22 05-18-2006 07:54 PM

I was a 34C before my daughter and got up to a 36D while breastfeeding. I would go with Target Brand Nursing Bra's They are cheap and comfy!!! DONT spend too much money until you know which bra works best for you, then buy a couple of that brand bra lol Thats what I did.

beckymomof2 05-18-2006 11:04 PM

I made a big mistake on my first baby by buying just any nursing bra. Mine had lace and were really uncomfortable. For this pregnancy I bought bravado because they have a high back and I figured the straps wouldn't slide off my shoulders. One concern I have with Bravado is that they are really thin but some women have said they still provide a lot of support. You can get them from my site if that is the way you go (see link below). Bravado just came out with a new nuring bra that I think is called the Lifestyle. You might want to look at that one too.

www.naturalfamilyboutique.com/?becky

a_cthelen 05-29-2006 11:13 PM

I have quite a few, but here are my favorites and why:
Noppies-microfiber, one-handed bra hook, slip on, super comfortable
Medela-microfiber, somewhat one-handed hook, slip on, very comfortable
QT-cotton, hook and eye closure, inexpensive and comfortable

I didn't like the Bravado classic, but do like the Bravado Lifestyle bra (it's new). Good support and kinda pretty.

I am a 38D, so it's important to me to have comfort. Around the house and at night, I wear the Noppies. Out and about i wear the Bravado Lifestyle so my boobs aren't hanging down to my navel!:laugh:

I do agree that you should try them out before buying a whole bunch. Also, try them out after you are nursing. I bought some before I had my DS and not all worked for me once I began nursing.

Good luck!!

bfoster2000 05-30-2006 09:12 AM

I spent a couple of hundred dollars on various bras when I first started with DJ. Believe it or not, the one I finally found that I absolutely adore came from Walmart for $11...I believe it's Bestform Comfort Sport or something like that. I'm large (42DD!) and these are SOOoooo comfortable. They have the padded shoulders and wide bands, the cups are easy to undo one-handed, the cups stay where they're supposed to (I have a couple of Playtex bras that I'm falling out of after an hour or so!), and although the cups are not padded or anything, they are several layers of fabric so they can absorb a little bit of a leak before showing anything. Great for later in the nursing relationship when I quit wearing pads. And even though I machine wash/dry them, they have held up incredibly well. I think I have 5 of them that I've been wearing for more than 2 years now and they're still in excellent shape. It looks like I'll have to get some more when this baby comes because the old ones are getting too tight so I'm going to need the next size up but otherwise, these look like they could go another couple of years. Oh, and did I mention they were only $11!

heather_c 05-30-2006 09:24 AM

I loved my Yes! bra from ebay seller breastfeedingisbest. It is very similar to the Bravado, but is have the price and has a much better clasp.

At your size, you may like a nursing tank. Glamourmom.com has great bra tanks and Target has htem as well. FYI - the Target tanks run very small. I would try it on before washing.

Best wishes on your upcoming birth!

rebyell 05-30-2006 07:46 PM

Loved the MotherHood sleep bra for the beginning (before you know what size to buy) and nights or just hanging around home. I am done (for now) breastfeeding and still wear it at home. It is just a pull over, crossover style that you pull to the side and dont have to undo any clasps. I think it was $11. I am going to get 3-4 this time since my one was always getting milky!

Not a great supporting/ shaping bra though, purely for comfort and to hold pads in place!