Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   OB/GYN gender (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7028)

Shannon 05-18-2006 02:52 PM

OB/GYN gender

I went to the Dr today and I had my pelvic and vaginal ultrasound done...I was sooooo nervous because my OB is a man. I've never had a man before. To be honest I've always avoided them like the plague...but you know, he was very professional and discreet and he had his nurse in the room with us. It was the first pap that wasn't a bit physically uncomfortable for me:mrgreen:

So is your OB/GYN a male or female? Is there a certain sex you prefer or does it not even matter? Including Midwifes too...but I've never heard of a midhusband so:headscratch:

wbkt8 05-18-2006 02:58 PM

Re: OB/GYN gender

i voted female. i have seen one male ob once. otherwise i've always seen women - obs, cnm, np, etc. the male ob i saw wasn't a negative experience, but i definitely find myself seeking out women on purpose.

Austinsmamma 05-18-2006 04:18 PM

I voted male I have always seen a male doctor although the doctor who delivered Austin was a female and she was a 8itch so that has kinda put me off to women doctors:mrgreen:

fouradss 05-18-2006 09:20 PM

I have had both, and with my experiences I tend to like male obgyn's. I find that they are a little more gentle. :dunno: I'm sure that there are wonderful dr's, etc. of both genders.

Shannon 05-18-2006 09:24 PM

Wow, I am a bit surprised by the results of the poll. I'll agree that I felt my Dr today was much gentler than either of my female OB's.

2sweetboys 05-18-2006 09:33 PM

My doc is a male and he is the only one I will see in that office! Other than his nurse practitioner...she usually does the initial pre-natal exam and any others that he is booked up for. I really like them both...he does my 6-week postpartum and I have no complaints. Although, he does have a VERY dry sense of humor. After I had my first son, I was in for my 6-week and he was about to insert the speculum(sp?), and he was like "this is gonna be kinda cold, it usually takes a couple patients to warm them up.....ha ha just kidding!" I was like ''too funny, you are probably lucky this isn't my 1st exam!"

I also had a midwife during labor and delivery of my first. She was AMAZING...I think that without her I wouldn't have had such a great experience. She told me everything she was going to do and explained everything to me. (I didn't take a lamaze class with either of my boys)

I delivered Aedan in a university-type hospital so a resident (female) assisted by my regular OB/Gyn delivered him....that was a trip. When she did my episiotemy (sp?) she went *snip* "is that right?" I was like "WHAT?!!!" There were about 20 people in the room when I delivered him to watch and help.

Kimmomy2dom 05-18-2006 09:49 PM

Mine is male. I've hated ALL female doctors I've ever had. I like pretty much all the male OBs at my office save one (he was an idiot, though). I'm in love with my OB, LOL. All of the female doctors since I was little up to the one's in this office I don't like at all, LOL. I find men do tend to be more gentle and have a kinder way of talking to you (sometimes). Mine has that dry sense of humor, too... but it doesn't bother me much. He did say once that he had a stroke (he was having trouble remembering something) - but we were never sure if he was serious or not.

Bridym 05-18-2006 10:28 PM

My Ob is a female but she works in a group setting and there are a couple male OB's, personaly I like the one I have met so much that I was considering switching to him. He was super pleasent and I didn't feel rushed at all, he just made the appointment feel all around great. I didn't switch to him cause I heard through the grape vine that he doesn't schedule routeen u/s for women who had previously healthy babys and I wanted an u/s!

lovemygirls 05-18-2006 10:37 PM

I voted female. I have had both and I prefer female ob's to male ob's. My dr is just awesome, she was much more considerate than the male ob that I saw. She seemed like she really cares about her patients.

mamas120 05-19-2006 12:23 AM

voted male - mine is a man he is really professional and he is so awesome! He delivered both our dd's and he is really nice, the nurse never leaves the room during exams either.

There is only one woman ob/gyn in our town and I have heard not so good things about her she was my cousins dr. and 4 of my friends. Other wise I probably would have went w/ her but I'm glad I didn't cause I love my Dr.