Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What do you do when your child is not "afraid" of the stove???? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705671)

mama2jack 03-26-2009 04:23 PM

What do you do when your child is not "afraid" of the stove????

Ds will NOT listen when it comes to the stove. I am at my wits end w/him hanging on the front handle of the stove. We have a lock on it but it is just an adhesive one and I don't know how long it will actually hold. Iv'e told him a hundred times that it can hurt /burn him. Timeouts don't work. I know he jsut wants my attention while I am cooking...
Well today I about lost it. I had my hands covered in butter and chicken juices and was trying to wash them off when ds starts hanging on the stove. It is preheated to 475 so higher than normal and I am afraid the adhesive will give.
I initally told him firmly to get down but he just stared at me and put his feet on the front of the oven and is literally haning there staring at me. I Yelled at him loudly :blush: twice:blush: :blush: (I don't yell) NO FREEKING RESPONSE from him. So I grab him and none too gently put him in a timeout. He is crying so I go back and we hugged and I cried too. I just dont know what to do when I get NOTHING but a stare back.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

mcpforever 03-26-2009 04:45 PM

Re: What do you do when your child is not "afraid" of the stove????

How old is he and has he ever experienced an uncomfortable hotness?

mama2jack 03-26-2009 04:45 PM

He is 2.5 and no

mcpforever 03-26-2009 08:47 PM

Perhaps he needs to experience a tiny bit of what you are telling him no about? I know that I give all my LOs (around age 2) food that is too hot to eat but not too hot to actually burn them so that they can learn the concept and respect the heat.
Another thing that has been effective with my kids is to act like *I* am terrified of it and scream in fright and carry on when they even get close to a danger zone. (I did this too well with swings and DS1 had an aversion to them until he was 3. :blush: )

HIOStarz4 03-26-2009 10:41 PM

Hmm my ds has always come to the stove but I too have always only used the 2 back burners. I NEVER use the front and always place the handle back and keep an eye out..good luck

BootyGold 03-27-2009 08:43 AM

DS did the same thing until he actually touched the hot stove once...honestly, I think that's how most kids learn :hugs:

We just reinforce by saying, "No touch, HOT!" Now that he's got the concept of hot, he doesn't touch any hot things anymore :giggle:

my2sweets 03-27-2009 09:01 AM

We have an older stove so the front gets rather warm when cooking. I've always told the girls that it was hot and not to touch. DD1 was awesome and just went with what I said lol DD2 however had to learn the hard way. One day she come into the kitchen while I was cooking and wanted me to hold her. I couldnt right then so she throw herself against the front of the oven(after I had warned her 2x). She instantly jumped back and gave me a 'WTH was that' type of look. I again told her 'hands off, HOT!" Since then she's thought about touching it again but once I tell her 'hands off hot.' she gives me this 'oh yeah' look.

Have you tried getting him involved with the cooking? I will sometimes give my girls a bowl and spoons so they can 'make cookies'(what dd1 always says). I have also been known to bust out the highchair and throw some flour/cinnamon/whatever on the tray and let her get after it. She can make a mess but it comes in really handy when I'm making something that will be taking a lot of time and I much rather clean up a mess then have her screaming, crying, pulling my pants off, throwing herself around ect ect ect lol

momof3boys1girl 03-27-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpforever (Post 6754429)
Perhaps he needs to experience a tiny bit of what you are telling him no about? I know that I give all my LOs (around age 2) food that is too hot to eat but not too hot to actually burn them so that they can learn the concept and respect the heat.
Another thing that has been effective with my kids is to act like *I* am terrified of it and scream in fright and carry on when they even get close to a danger zone. (I did this too well with swings and DS1 had an aversion to them until he was 3. :blush: )

:yeahthat: My ds touched the front of the stove one time and doesnt do it anymore. The front doesnt get hot hot but it def gets warm. Also I have let them feel hot water in the bath because they wouldnt stop "trying" to run their own baths. I just filled the bath with hotter than their usual bath(not a temp that would burn them) and let them stick their foots in..Both screamed HOT and now they dont run their own baths any more:giggle:
GL mama it makes it worse when you tell a kid not to do something they always want to test why they cant..Well I say its a kid thing but really I think even adults still get tempted to do stuff when someone tells them not to..kwim? "like when someone tells you dont look, you want to look even more than"

mama2jack 03-27-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpforever (Post 6754429)

I was terrified, and actually screamed ( I could see the latch lifting and thought it was breaking) but he didn't register that I was actually afraid:headscratch:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIOStarz4 (Post 6755316)
Hmm my ds has always come to the stove but I too have always only used the 2 back burners. I NEVER use the front and always place the handle back and keep an eye out..good luck

when I use the cooktop I use only the back burners too. I have used the front ones when he is sleeping/napping cause they are bigger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2sweets (Post 6757612)
We have an older stove so the front gets rather warm when cooking. I've always told the girls that it was hot and not to touch. DD1 was awesome and just went with what I said lol DD2 however had to learn the hard way. One day she come into the kitchen while I was cooking and wanted me to hold her. I couldnt right then so she throw herself against the front of the oven(after I had warned her 2x). She instantly jumped back and gave me a 'WTH was that' type of look. I again told her 'hands off, HOT!" Since then she's thought about touching it again but once I tell her 'hands off hot.' she gives me this 'oh yeah' look.

Have you tried getting him involved with the cooking? I will sometimes give my girls a bowl and spoons so they can 'make cookies'(what dd1 always says). I have also been known to bust out the highchair and throw some flour/cinnamon/whatever on the tray and let her get after it. She can make a mess but it comes in really handy when I'm making something that will be taking a lot of time and I much rather clean up a mess then have her screaming, crying, pulling my pants off, throwing herself around ect ect ect lol

Oooh mabey I should try this. He has not used his high chair in probably a year so mabey it will be a novelty for him.

NataschaN 03-27-2009 12:32 PM

teach them fear of the stove...

In a nice way. Or if that doesn't work make sure that they do not have acess to thestove.
Our son and all my DC kids are not the least interrested in the stove or oven or anything but the fridge and pantry (because they know that is where the "good" stuff is stahsed away:giggle: ).
They have those guards that you can mount on the cooktop of your stove. Not sure if it works, because we don;t have to use it.
Can you get gates for the kitchen?
We will actualy install one now that it is getting hotter. Our dogs do not mind at all to be outside for an hour or two when the weather is nice and warm, but now that it is getting realy hot we will keep them inside for anything but 5 minutes potty time. They are inside at noghts and most of the day anyways. Also they are kids friendly, I want to have a gate up so they get some relax time. Otherways the kids will hang onto them all day. The gate will keep the kids away from the dogs.:giggle: :thumbsup:
Good luck!