Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do you get a 2 year old to eat? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705692)

Jenfrogmomcpst 03-26-2009 04:47 PM

How do you get a 2 year old to eat?

My ds just turned 2. He barely eats anything good for him. He won't try anything (even things he has had before and liked.) He has had somewhat of a limited diet because I have severe food allergies. He only eats certain veggies and apples. What can I do? This is crazy! Thanks. :banghead: :cry:

tarasanfran 03-26-2009 05:27 PM

Re: How do you get a 2 year old to eat?

My 2 biggest suggestions:

Let him get hungry and don't offer snacks that you don't want him to fill up on.

ex. offer carrots, apples, berries, etc... not carbs like crackers or bread.

I am nursing baby right now, so typing is slow.

You can lead a child to the table but you can't make him eat.:thumbsup:

Offer ONLY healthy foods that YOU WANT him to eat, so there is no way what-so-ever that he is filling up on the not so good foods.

He will eat when he is hungry enough, and remember that their tummies are so small. They don't need much to fill them up. And some kids eat a lot one day and nothing the next. This is normal and healthy.

Don't let meal time become a battle field. :goodvibes: :hugs:

tarasanfran 03-26-2009 05:33 PM

and their might be only 4 or 5 things he is willing to eat right now. just be sure that the few things he eats are good for him and eventually you wil be able to get new things on his list...one by one...slowly.

i think you have a better chance of getting him to try something new if you just put it on his plate and don't make a big deal about it. let him know he can eat it or not and that it doesn't matter to you. children often need to be offered new food at least 3 times BEFORE they will try it. :goodvibes:

Jenfrogmomcpst 03-26-2009 05:45 PM

Awesome! Thanks mama! I have resorted to buying him organic baby food bananas and mixing it w/ applesauce so he will at least have some bananas.

KaleidoscopeEyes 03-26-2009 05:50 PM

Let him eat the certain veggies and fruits that he does like. you can always try smoothies and just have general healthy snacks around. DS2 is a total grazer and really doesn't like to eat meals.

veganf 03-27-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarasanfran (Post 6752461)
Offer ONLY healthy foods that YOU WANT him to eat, so there is no way what-so-ever that he is filling up on the not so good foods.

He will eat when he is hungry enough, and remember that their tummies are so small. They don't need much to fill them up. And some kids eat a lot one day and nothing the next. This is normal and healthy.

Yeah all that.
And just keep modeling good eating (save your own treats for when he is asleep or something, LOL).

CamilikinsMama 03-27-2009 09:06 AM

I've heard that if they haven't been introduced to it before they are 2, then they are unlikely to try it once they're 2 - sounds like what you're experiencing!

I agree that smoothies are a great way to pack in nutrition (strawberries, bananas, yogurt, milk, ground flax seed, other berries, juice, even some veggies can be slipped in unnoticed).

I've also heard of mamas simply making meal time more fun. Some fill a muffin tin with various "dips" and "dippables" - ranch dressing, peanut butter, honey, carrot sticks, celery, broccoli, apple pieces, cheerios, crackers, etc.

My daughter just turned 1, and I'm trying to offer her a wide variety of foods just so that we don't have to deal with introducing many new foods when she's older and likely to reject them. Not sure if it's going to work, but we'll see...

Good luck with your DS - I'm sure he's getting enough nutrition, even if it seems like he's not. You could always give him a multivitamin each day to help out.

momof3boys1girl 03-27-2009 10:24 AM

Me ds is going through this too, and my dd also did at 2. They will eat when they get hungry just keep offering the same food.

ABCDE Family 03-27-2009 10:57 AM

I AGREE mama!
Not to change off the OP but, TARASANFRAN your pic of the 2 girls is SO CUTE!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarasanfran (Post 6752461)
My 2 biggest suggestions:

Let him get hungry and don't offer snacks that you don't want him to fill up on.

ex. offer carrots, apples, berries, etc... not carbs like crackers or bread.

I am nursing baby right now, so typing is slow.

You can lead a child to the table but you can't make him eat.:thumbsup:

Kita 03-27-2009 02:10 PM

I won't get into the entire gist of the article, but this was an excellent read...taking a different view from what I've read in the past. http://www.zerotothree.org/site/DocS...pdf?docID=7961

I have a very picky 3-1/2 year old. But unlike most toddlers who started out eating and/or trying everything that was fed to them, he has NEVER been like that. Even as a baby, he refused baby foods, refused to feed himself fruit/veggies/meats/pastas, etc. The only thing he would ever eat, ever, was carbs, dairy, an occasional banana, and an occasional hot dog. I've refused to feed him other things for days, and it doesn't help. All it does for us is create a horribly hungry and cranky boy. But for us, I am convinced he has more of an issue with food, going beyond normal toddler pickiness. I honestly haven't yet decided what to do about it, if anything.

Probably NOT what's going on with your little one, but I just wanted to throw that out there, too.