Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   sleep schedule for 15 mo old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706484)

katia 03-27-2009 04:14 PM

sleep schedule for 15 mo old?

anyone have a babe ~15 mo who is willing to share their babe's day and night sleep schedule? i think mine is going through some transitions and i am having a tough time with figuring out how i should adjust and set a new schedule for him.
thanks!

CamilikinsMama 03-27-2009 04:41 PM

Re: sleep schedule for 15 mo old?

I nanny for a 15 month old. Here's her schedule...

Wake between 7 and 8
Nap from about 9:30-11
Nap from about 1:30-3
Bed between 7 and 7:30

My DD is 12 months, her schedule is pretty much the same, although she wakes up a bit earlier (6-7) and is nearly always in bed by 7. And her naps are slightly shorter.

I'm not sure when the girls will transition to one nap/day. But I imagine that when they do, it'll have to start out around 11 or 11:30, and gradually get later until it's sometime between 12:30 and 1.

HTH!

tusheez 03-27-2009 04:47 PM

my DD is trying to figure out if she wants 1 nap 11:30-1:30 or 2 naps 1 hr each she does good w/1 but between 5-6 she is so cranky then by 7:15 shes out if we ride somewhere between 5-7 she'll snooze for 15-30 min its tough :banghead: she usually wakes up around 7am im up anyways w/the other 2 for school

HeatherlovesCDs 03-27-2009 06:22 PM

I have twin 15 month olds. Here is their sleep schedule:

7:30am wake up
10am - 11:30am/12pm nap (sometimes I put them down as early as 9:30am if they are tired or I need to leave after they nap)
2:30-4pm nap (sometimes down at 2 if they woke early from AM nap)
7:30 Bedtime (sometimes they go down at 7 if they are tired from missing a nap that day)

They sleep 12hrs without waking and then it starts over. :mrgreen:

I expect them to drop the morning nap around 18 months. Then, the afternoon nap will stretch out to 2-2.5 hours. This is what my older son did and what Dr. Richard Ferber says is typical in his sleep chart in his book. It's an awesome chart. It shows how many hours of sleep children (from birth to 18 years old) need in a 24 hour period and how it is typically broken up in terms of naps. I love it. :thumbsup:

Poohb10454 03-27-2009 06:57 PM

Here is my 16 month olds schedule

6-7am wake up
10 am nap he wakes up around 12
3 pm nap he wakes up at 5
8 pm bedtime

katia 03-27-2009 09:09 PM

thanks, ladies. this is so helpful!
i have ferber's book as well as jodi mindell's book, which i love.
my daughter transitioned to 1 nap/day much later than 15 mo, but my son is so different and i have been trying to determine what is affecting his sleep so much. i am not sure if it is the rashes i have posted about on other threads, teething, or what.

his regular sleep schedule was very much like you all describe of your 15mo olds, until the past couple of weeks.

he has always chatted or cried himself to sleep once he is laid in the crib. (i got a boat load of negative comments for saying that about my daughter awhile back on another mothering board, so please, no comments on this. this is how he is. if picked up and snuggled at this point, he squirms, wails more, and is impossible to hold. it is just his method of unwinding.) this hasn't changed, except that previously, prior to being laid down, he would happily snuggle with me for a song i always sing, then when it was over, he would squirm and be ready to be laid down. now, he won't even snuggle through the song.

once asleep, he is now waking in the night, crying. i go to him and the only thing that seems soothing is if i change his diaper, but this waking is early enough in the night, that he is hardly even wet.

then, i often hear him in a restless sleep, beginning at 4am, culminating in significant cries around 5:30 am. (normal for him had been 6:30 or slightly earlier.) when i go to him at this point, he cries no matter what i do and often has a blow-up tantrum with screaming, crying, flinging himself, etc. (as though he is exhausted and can't go back to sleep, but knows he is tired and doesn't want to be up, either.)

so the boy is tired and wound-up. this night sleep is affecting nap sleep (and vice versa), so he is either really tired or so wound up, he can't fall asleep. he seems to need ~3+ hours between waking and sleeping, so i can't let him sleep past 11:30am (if i want him to take a second nap) and then 3:30pm or so (if i want to get him to bed ~7pm).

should i just keep tight to his normal schedule and hope he falls back in line? anyone think rashes might really be the only thing waking and bugging him at night? (we have made a recent switch back to cloth from paper, having finally found a diaper that keeps him dry at night, made by a DS mamma, but he seems to do the night waking thing whether he is in paper or cloth. i have tested this.) i don't think he has an ear infection, but could teething do it?

sigh...he and his sister share a room and so far, they aren't waking each other much, but she has had a stretch of night wake-ups also, so between the two of them, i feel exhausted like i have a newborn again!

beaute_marquee 03-28-2009 09:50 AM

DS wakes about 7:30 or 8, naps from about 12 to 2 (sometimes 3), and goes to bed between 7:30 and 8.
He does sometimes take a second nap from 5-6. If he does that, I move bedtime back half an hour.

mommabritt 03-28-2009 02:37 PM

My YDS is almost 15 months (on the 5th) and his schedule:

Wakes: 6 SHARP!:banghead: (or before...:blush: )
Morning nap: 9- 11
Afternoon nap: 2-4
Bed between 7:30 and 8

I wish he would sleep a little later in the morning and nap a little less actually! I guess time will come (and then I'll want the naps back!) :roflmbo:

CamilikinsMama 03-28-2009 07:45 PM

So sorry you're having these struggles. Is it possible he's in a growth spurt that's messing with his sleep?

doodah 03-28-2009 08:32 PM

Here is my 15 month old dd's schedule:
wake up between 7 and 7:30
nap from 10:30 to 12:30 (not always the exact same each day but pretty close)
second nap from 3:30 to 5
bedtime at 7:30

Recently I tried really hard to get her on one long nap a day and it was a royal battle. She was having none of it and then her nights got really bad just like you are describing. She is happier with two naps a day so I am just going to go with that for now. The only thing I can think of is a growth spurt or a recent reach of a milestone. Are you positive that it is not teething? Those molars can be heck for some kids (mine included). Are you sure he doesn't have an ear infection or anything else going on? As for comforting him, if it makes it worse, just let him work it out on his own. I HAD to do that with my dd. I would have loved to have a kid that winds down with snuggles, rocking or singing but not my daughter. She is not allowed to have any stimulation whatsoever or she would be up ALL night and that is no joke. Don't feel bad if you have to do something different with your kid....just do what works for you and forget about the online flamers. I personally would try to stick super strict with the schedule for at least one solid week and see if it gets better but I would also take him to the ped just to be sure there isn't something else going on.