Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Leaving kids at home alone sick or healthy? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709094)

kocho 03-31-2009 07:10 AM

Leaving kids at home alone sick or healthy?

At what age do you think it's safe to leave your kids home alone?

My friend left her sick kids home alone yesterday. The ages are 9 and 4. I understand that what she needed to do was important, but feel that it could have been done another time.

Then last night she had the 9 year old at the ER with a 105 temp until 3 am. But called this morning to say she was leaving them home alone to go to work. Now I understand that she has to go to work. She's missed a lot of work due to her divorce and her DH didn't even answer when she called him last night from the ER.

But I just can't think it's safe leaving them home alone, especially sick. She doesn't have many options, but she could have asked me to sit with them today or yesterday. I even offered yesterday, (I went with her to what she needed to do) but she didn't want to get my family sick. Today I have a home visit at 11 for my DDs preschool, but she could have brought them here.

I'm just sick about those kids being home alone all day. Should I be worried, or mind my own business. She did call to let me know so someone would know they were there. I told her to call me if they needed anything, but I'm considering calling back and asking if I can go get them.

mommyfrog 03-31-2009 07:55 AM

Re: Leaving kids at home alone sick or healthy?

IMO that is too young to be home alone, especially sick. I can understand she is in a tight situation, but she really should have taken up your offer to help her out. I don't really have any advice for you. Do what feels right to you.

kocho 03-31-2009 08:11 AM

I'm just so worried about them. I have this home visit in an hour. I think I'm going to go get them after that.

I gotta go finish getting ready for this meeting. Ugh.

rissamama 03-31-2009 08:52 AM

i think that is too young I didn't let me daughter stay home until almost 12 and she is on the very mature end of her age, she is 13 now and can watch her siblings during the day. But I am still squimish at night about it, but I was babysitting at her age so it all depends on the kid. If one of mine were in the er last night then no I would be home

Rhianna'sMommy 03-31-2009 09:01 AM

I can't think of any 4 year old that would be fine home alone all day - even with a 9 year old. I was allowed to stay home alone for an hour or 2 started around age 10. So I can see MAYBE leaving the 9 year old if she's really responsible for her age for a couple hours but not all day. And not with a sibling to keep an eye on. I know when I was that age if I got sick I wanted to be left alone all day anyhow - so it wouldn't have phased me for my parents to go to work but they wouldn't have gone all day. I think maybe at that age my Mom might have run to the grocery store to get me some 7up and be right back type thing. And no way no how would she have left a 4 year old.

kocho 03-31-2009 09:14 AM

Glad to see you ladies kinda agree. It's too boys. And when healthy they can be pretty rambunctious. If the 9 year old is that sick, he shouldn't be watching his little brother. I've had issue with how these kids are left alone for years, but before it was with the older sister who is going on 12. This is just too much.

I know she's going through a lot, but she needs to get her head right.

myfrugalfunlife 03-31-2009 09:30 AM

wow, I'd never ever leave a 4 yr old home alone-heck I can't even leave my 4 yr old dd inside alone when I go get the mail because of all the 'great' ideas she comes up with (like this morning when she decided it was a good idea to jump off our computer table and now has a twisted knee :banghead: ). A 9 yr old is not old enough to take care of himself, let alone a 4 yr old sibling. I know she's your friend but if I knew someone doing that, I think I'd be calling CPS :cry: sara

Kita 03-31-2009 09:54 AM

How incredibly sad. I'd definitely point out to her that she could get into deep trouble with the authorities for neglect.... I also don't understand why she'd rather have sick children at home alone, rather than have an adult watch over them? Or why, if she can't take off work, doesn't she have a backup plan? I guess I don't understand, especially if her 9-year-old ended up at the ER for the fever, why she'd let him go unsupervised?

What a difficult position for you to be in. :hugs:

kocho 03-31-2009 10:01 AM

I just called and she doesn't want me to bring them over here because they'll get my kids sick. I'm going to go over and stay with them for a couple hours before my DD gets home. I don't know what else to do.

kocho 03-31-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kita (Post 6795302)
How incredibly sad. I'd definitely point out to her that she could get into deep trouble with the authorities for neglect.... I also don't understand why she'd rather have sick children at home alone, rather than have an adult watch over them? Or why, if she can't take off work, doesn't she have a backup plan? I guess I don't understand, especially if her 9-year-old ended up at the ER for the fever, why she'd let him go unsupervised?

What a difficult position for you to be in. :hugs:

Well, her DH recently left her for a 22 year old. I was her babysitter until recently. She stopped having me babysit because of the position she was putting us in as we were originally the friends of her DH. She really doesn't have any other friends or support through all this. I'm trying to do all I can for her, but it is a bad situation and my DH hates me being involved at all.