Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What does it mean if my hCG levels are rising too slow? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709496)

ttachuk 03-31-2009 02:20 PM

What does it mean if my hCG levels are rising too slow?

I'm not really sure what to think...apparently my hCG levels are rising really slow? Does this mean a miscarriage is inevitable? I am probably only 4 weeks pregnant, but I had some bleeding (thought it was a period) about 2 weeks ago. I am so frustrated b/c I saw a walk-in-clinic doctor and she won't be in again until next Monday so I'm stuck in limbo not knowing.

gogreenbaby 03-31-2009 02:25 PM

Re: What does it mean if my hCG levels are rising too slow?

It really depends. It can lead to miscarriage, however, this is not always the case. Some women's levels rise at different rates. As a general rule, it should double every 2-3 days - but variations are always possible. Mine were not doubling for a while (only rising) and I am now 16 weeks.

TwinKristi 03-31-2009 02:56 PM

It really doesn't "mean" anything. If your levels don't continue to rise than they just may want to watch the levels and make sure your pregnancy is truly viable. If something happens and the levels start to decrease or stay the same rather than increase than that's a bad sign. A lot of times dr's want to draw labs and get you all worked up over nothing. The majority of pregnancies aren't monitored in that fashion so it's hard to say what exactly is normal.
And as far as getting your lab results in, someone other than THAT doctor should be able to provide you with those. I would get my results from a nurse. How many times have they drawn blood to check for your levels?

jasy 03-31-2009 03:08 PM

Typically hCG levels double every 24 to 48 hours so if they say yours are rising too slowly they probably just mean that they aren't doubling as quickly as they would expect.

I had my blood drawn every week for over 3 weeks in my first trimester as I had some early spotting, they did not double every time, but sometimes they did, it's not really a 100% reliable method. I would be asking for a dating ultrasound which can't really be done effectively until 6 weeks as earlier there isn't really anything to see.

rachaeljohnson 03-31-2009 03:27 PM

i think 15-20% of healthy pregnancies rise at abnormal rates. Also, my rates grew better than normal and things aren't looking good. So chin up momma!

momof3boys1girl 03-31-2009 08:23 PM

gl mama it is hard to not worry

ttachuk 03-31-2009 10:56 PM

Thanks for the information...it does give me some hope. I went back to the clinic later this afternoon and saw a different doc. He went over the results but wasn't very hopeful that my pregnancy would continue. I'm hoping he just didn't want me to be too hopeful and wanted me to be prepared for a loss. I guess the good news is that my levels are increasing. I go for a repeat hCG level tomorrow and an ultrasound on Monday.

I think the hardest part is that it's suppose to be joyful when you see those 2 lines. Instead of thinking about names and all those fun things that go along with expecting, I'm just wondering when I'll start cramping and bleeding.

MeghanBaird 03-31-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinKristi (Post 6798923)
A lot of times dr's want to draw labs and get you all worked up over nothing. The majority of pregnancies aren't monitored in that fashion so it's hard to say what exactly is normal.

:yeahthat:

I've heard so many stories of women who were told to prepare for the worst... and carried to term anyway!

Anything biological (like pregnancy!) is going to show a lot of variation, but most MD's are going to tell you a worst case scenario unless you're right in the middle of what THEY consider normal. Keep in mind that just because someone has an MD doesn't make them a good (or even knowledgeable) doctor.

Fingers crossed for you, mama! Hang in there!!:thumbsup:

MeghanBaird 03-31-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachaeljohnson (Post 6799265)
my rates grew better than normal and things aren't looking good.

:hugs: Sending good thoughts your way...

ChoiceSoaps 04-01-2009 07:43 PM

Did they take a progesterone level? Low progesterone is a very common cause of miscarriage but is completely preventable with supplementation. Often when there are low progesterone levels and HCG rates are doubling slowly, the HCG rate increases with progesterone supplementation. They are somehow connected. If they didn't do a progesterone test, I would request one. You'll find lots more info about progesterone here: http://lowprogesteroneinpregnancy.com/

Hang in there! :goodvibes: