Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   He's hitting himself in the head! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70992)

tessa1002 12-07-2006 07:38 PM

He's hitting himself in the head!

Does anyone else's toddler hit themselves in the head for no apparent reason?

Lately Asher will just hit himself in the head with whatever is laying around. Yesterday he was running his head into the wall, today he was hitting himself in the head with the phone. I wasn't too worried until just recently he hit himself in the head with his v-tech piano! The thing is heavy! He just brought it right up to his head, and brought his head right down to it. CRASH. The result? Screaming baby. I'm hoping after that he'll realize thats its no fun to smash himself in the head, but after we gave him his booboo bunny he didn't seem phased, and went right back to the piano. (just carrying it around, he hasn't hit himself with it again...yet) My mom said its just something toddlers do? Is she right or is there something wrong with him?

titania 12-07-2006 08:00 PM

Re: He's hitting himself in the head!

one of mine does that too. its really disconcerting, isnt it? i try and distract him or tell him to be gentle. don't know if there is anything else that can be done...i hope its something that they outgrow!!

1happymama 12-07-2006 08:16 PM

My DS likes to bang his head against the walls or whatever is around. He will accidentally bump into something and then do it again and again deliberately. He's kind of slowed up on this a bit since there's lots of exciting stuff going on in his little world (lots of walking, talking, etc.). But for a while we thought he was going to need a padded room or something! :laugh:
I think it's really common especially with boys for some reason (DD never did anything like it).

tessa1002 12-07-2006 10:51 PM

Thanks mamas! I kinda thought maybe since DH is so OCD that DS was too and it was just something he felt like he had to do over and over again. Its good to know its pretty "normal" though! And it does seem like something mostly boys would do, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

mom_of_3g_1b 12-08-2006 12:53 AM

When DS started this habit it freaked me out but the doctor said it was totally normal. They like the sensation or something. My girls were banging their heads into the mirrored closet door they have in their room today. Hard enough I was worried they'd crack or break it.

dirtdartwife 12-08-2006 12:59 AM

A friend of mine actually had to pad the railings to her DD's crib because her DD would bang her head against it all the time. her DD would bang her head against the wall while in the crib but mama moved the crib, so DD would bang against the railing. Her ped told her some kids do it as a relaxation technique (:confused:).

My DD's each went through this phase. It never lasted long because they learned pretty quick it doesn't feel too great and they got headaches from it. Our reaction now is we look at them and ask "Hurt, didn't it? Betcha ain't gunna do that again." and then check them for any serious signs of injury and repeat the "Don't smack your head on hard objects" rule. Otherwise, we don't pay too much attention to it.