Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Please, I need help with stroller info.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710135)

akmommy 04-01-2009 09:50 AM

Please, I need help with stroller info..

Ok mommy's, it's time for me to figure out a stroller. :drif: I have a cheapo one that was given to us when our daughter was born, but it's not really very good.

Do you have any advice on certain types that would be good for walking around town and off road? I plan on doing several 5K and 10k's this summer, but the trails are not 100% paved. There is some gravel, hills, dirt, etc. :bumpsign: But I would also like to use it in the grocery stores and other places because our summers are only 2 1/2 months long. So while it will be used ALOT during those 2 1/2 months, the rest of the year I have to use it mostly indoors. :yuck:

For now I only have the one kiddo but plan on adding to the family in another year or so - if all goes according to "plan" we would like them spaced 2.5-3 years apart. So, I may be able to get away with just a one seater? :lostit:

And lastly, I'm on a tight budget :2cents: these days so if you know of the cost or where I may be able to get a good deal, that would be so wonderful!:giggle:

Thanks so much for your advice!!

Liddle1 04-01-2009 11:16 AM

Re: Please, I need help with stroller info..

honestly, you're probably going to have to go with two strollers. one for off road stuff (I would recommend a Bob or a phil and ted's which can have a tandem toddler seat) and one for malls. I have yet to find a decent mall stroller but I can tell you to stay away from the bumbleride flyer and any stroller with plastic wheels. Plastic wheels + dirty slippery mall floors = a stroller that is impossible to steer. I'm trying to get my hands on a britax vigour but not having much luck.

Gerdgrid 04-01-2009 11:56 AM

Ditto PP about two strollers. Any stroller that's going to be any good for serious running on unpaved, bumpy, gravelly paths is NOT going to be a good shopping stroller.

Is there much activity on your local Craigslist? That can be a great way to make a small budget go further with strollers.

akmommy 04-01-2009 04:24 PM

So far our craigslist up here has only had Jeep strollers, and it makes me nervous that all of the listings are for this type....? Other than Graco but that's what I already have and don't like (I mean it's sufficient but not good for outside stuff).

Mama2acrew 04-01-2009 04:51 PM

After a lot of thought, and budget checking, and asking mamas here, I bought a jeep jogging stroller :) It is AMAZING! I had no idea that walking (we walk about 5 miles a day in good weather, sometimes onto gravel or unpaved roads) could be so easy! My husband was impressed because it has a metal frame but is light and easy to use. It folds into the back of our van easily. We needed something that would accomodate our son's weight since he is nearly 3. Sears has them on clearance sale for $140. That was an awesome price and we feel like we got a great stroller that I highly recommend for lower budge purchasing.