Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do you give Prevacid to your LO? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710559)

3Daisies 04-01-2009 05:03 PM

How do you give Prevacid to your LO?

You Prevacid users, don't you find giving your LO a dose, dissolved in water, difficult? I'm using a syringe & the little granules collect at the bottom and don't all dispense out. Our DD is getting most of her dose but not ALL of it because of this.

So I thought of a great idea that I wonder if any of you have done - why not make a past out of the pill, put it on the pacifier, let her suck it off, then give her the water it was suppose to be mixed with to wash it down!

Have any of you done this or do any of you have a better idea?

Picklesmom1 04-01-2009 06:30 PM

Re: How do you give Prevacid to your LO?

I was told not to dissolve it in water, I break up the pill wet my finger, get the powder on my finger and DS sucks on my finger. He's been on it for about 3 weeks now, and I can just break it into little pieces now and they dissolve in his mouth on there own.

3Daisies 04-01-2009 07:10 PM

Interesting that you were told to not dissolve in water...

Just curious when you saw improvement in his reflux? It's been 5 days and I think dd is still the same. I'm so ready for her to feel better, poor baby.

rfeibelm 04-01-2009 07:25 PM

When my ds was on prevacid, I used to use a 1 tsp dropper, take the bulb off and drop the tablet in, then suck up a few mls of water to disolve it. This was the only way that I could find not to lose any granules. Syringes definitely did not work.

JustAugust 04-01-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfeibelm (Post 6813546)
When my ds was on prevacid, I used to use a 1 tsp dropper, take the bulb off and drop the tablet in, then suck up a few mls of water to disolve it. This was the only way that I could find not to lose any granules. Syringes definitely did not work.

Ditto... or well, the 1tsp dropper/syringe from Walgreens is what we used. Worked just fine for us.

eguisgirl 04-01-2009 09:36 PM

When my lo's were on it, I would disolve in a bit of water and spoon feed it to them..

love being a momma 04-01-2009 09:45 PM

I dissolved it in a spoon & spoon fed DD when she was on it. Then when she got older 6m, I put the tab in her mouth & held it against the side of her mouth & let it dissolve.

babygirlsmom1005 04-02-2009 02:57 AM

I disolved it when she was a infant and put it down her G-Tube, with the extra granuals I just would add a little water to the syrange and make sure we got it in and flush her tube with water so it wasn't sitting in there. Later on, when she would take it by mouth, I would just give her the solutabs and she took them.

Picklesmom1 04-02-2009 08:10 AM

DS has been on prevacid for about 3wks, before that he was on axid for 3mos. I haven't noticed that much of a difference, but DS has one of the worst cases of acid reflux they have seen. When he eats/drinks the food goes in his through his sinus's (sp?) then down his throat, then the acid reflux brings it back up.

MamaBink 04-02-2009 08:19 AM

Our pharmacy mixed the prevacid with sodium bicarbonate & flavored it with FlavoRx. Maybe you can ask your pharmacy about doing that?