Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   White noise question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71198)

FitMommyOf2 12-08-2006 10:03 AM

White noise question

Sorry to ask another white noise question :blush: but I have to ask:
Did any of your DC's needed to get used to the white noise when you started using it???
A few of you might remember that a few days (~1week?) ago I posted about this (re white noise machines) and I then bought a white noise cd off on ebay b4 I got another cd that a sweet mama here made for me (rainstorm noise).
Neither one seems to really help to keep my DS from sleeping...:headscratch:
We used to play children's classical music softly in his room, and eventhough it didn't drown out noises like the neighbor's dog's barking, he seemed to kinda like the music. Now that I've tried both cds, he seems to even sleep less well.. though I'm not sure if it's coincidence or if it could really be that the noise is 'disturbing' him? :headscratch: (The 'rainstorm' cd sounds awesome, I know I'd def. fall asleep with that :giggle: The other one is really just 'noise' lol.)

Please, if you have any advice, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know as the white noise cd I got from ebay has a 30 day return policy and I'm currently debating to send it back...

mom2fussy 12-08-2006 10:18 AM

Re: White noise question

Well, I don't have any experience using anything like that with DS. But personally, I can't fall asleep very well to the so-called "calming" CDs that are rain or waves or whatever. There are just too many different sounds & they're too random for my mind to relax. I fall asleep more easily with music (especially music I know) or with true "white noise" - just background fuzz-type noise.

Also, FWIW, DH grew up with a small fan going in his room *always*. Now he's hooked - and CAN'T sleep without noise in the room. We had to buy a little white noise generator thing for him (because I hated having a fan on in the room - too much air movement across my face. :)) So you might want to make sure you don't use white noise *every* time DS sleeps!

ashleynjacy 12-08-2006 10:23 AM

what are white noise cd's?

FitMommyOf2 12-08-2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashleynjacy (Post 516741)
what are white noise cd's?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget

FitMommyOf2 12-08-2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2fussy (Post 516719)
Well, I don't have any experience using anything like that with DS. But personally, I can't fall asleep very well to the so-called "calming" CDs that are rain or waves or whatever. There are just too many different sounds & they're too random for my mind to relax. I fall asleep more easily with music (especially music I know) or with true "white noise" - just background fuzz-type noise.

Also, FWIW, DH grew up with a small fan going in his room *always*. Now he's hooked - and CAN'T sleep without noise in the room. We had to buy a little white noise generator thing for him (because I hated having a fan on in the room - too much air movement across my face. :)) So you might want to make sure you don't use white noise *every* time DS sleeps!

Yeah, DH was afraid that DS might get used to the music for the same reason you mentioned.. Due to the dog's barking noise from our neighbor I was hoping the white noise would blend it out though and help DS sleep... but it doesn't seem to.. :(
We had a fan on in summer time and I too think that this kind of humming noise worked soothingly for DS. However now in the winter time I couldn't place a fan anywhere as it's already the coolest room where DS is in and no matter where I put it (I tried it b4) somehow there's always a 'draft' going on..

mom2fussy 12-08-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitMommyOf2 (Post 516835)
However now in the winter time I couldn't place a fan anywhere as it's already the coolest room where DS is in and no matter where I put it (I tried it b4) somehow there's always a 'draft' going on..

Yep, that's exactly why I didn't like having a fan in our room! :)