Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you let your kids wear hand-me-down shoes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716436)

Smidgerooski 04-08-2009 08:59 PM

Do you let your kids wear hand-me-down shoes?

DD has been walking for 4 months now and about a month ago I bought her, her first pair of 'real' shoes...SKRs. She needed something for outside that wasn't going to soak her feet. I really like them and I'm planning to buy 2-3 more pair for the summer. Anyways, I told my mom about them and she started sending me links of ones on Ebay, but they were used. I emailed her back and told her I didn't want dd wearing pre-worn shoes. My reasoning is that I would never want to wear pre-worn shoes and I certainly don't want dd to wear them while her feet are developing.

So, the other day my mom bought dd an easter dress and a pair of used SKRs on ebay. The SKRs are really used and all I want to do is throw them away. :hide: I will be donating them tho :thumbsup:

So, do you let your kids that are walking wear hand-me-down/pre-worn shoes?

Knits on Earth 04-08-2009 09:00 PM

Re: Do you let your kids wears hand-me-down shoes?

i do and they do. :dunno:

miclyn03 04-08-2009 09:09 PM

Re: Do you let your kids wear hand-me-down shoes?

I do. I dont really understand why that would be a problem.:headscratch:
I guess I can understand if they had holes or the soles were lopsided from being worn. In that case I wouldn't.

staceyroo77 04-08-2009 09:11 PM

My kids do if they are in very good to excellent condition, and they are from family/friends.

ForCryingOutLoud 04-08-2009 09:16 PM

I don't like pre-owned shoes.
I am really weird about used shoes... I don't know why, but I rather just buy new shoes for my kids.
I've gotten used shoes before that I just gave away because well they looked so worn and just bothered me....so I gave them away.
I don't mind clothes.. maybe cause I feel like it is hard to clean shoes. :headscratch:

amitchell98 04-08-2009 09:19 PM

I think I would if they looked almost new. But if they were clearly worn, then No way. My son has robeez that came to us used, but from a friend. And they still were in great shape. But I'm not sure when he's older and walking. I think I would rather get new ones if I could afford it. I'm with you on the cleaning issue. I don't think I would wear something off of ebay, so I would never expect my son to either.

broaddaylight 04-08-2009 09:20 PM

Why not?:dunno:

my4blessings 04-08-2009 09:22 PM

DD2 wears DD1's outgrown shoes (if they are still in good condition). Especially church/dress shoes that don't get worn much. They usually wear out tennis shoes, so those aren't handed down. DD3 will be wearing some of the Robeez that DS wore. I don't see a problem with it, as long as the soles aren't worn out.

missykay 04-08-2009 09:22 PM

DS has used shoes from a family at church.

ttmomma 04-08-2009 09:40 PM

Well we are on a super tight budget and with kids shoes so expensive (yes, for us paying $20+ for something DS is going to get limited use of is considered expensive and definitely not practical), I have bought all his shoes here on FSOT or eBay. I am very picky with condition though, if they are super dirty or look well-worn out, then I'll pass.

I am waiting on a pair of gently used sneakers from eBay that I got for 0.99 cents...can't beat that and if he uses them for a couple months, well then, I'm happy.

And for me, I've worn shoes that were given to me gently used from a friend or my mom, but I don't think I've ever bought shoes for myself from consignment stores though.