Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Some questions...possible food sensitivity (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71694)

wagaboodleMuM 12-09-2006 04:17 PM

Some questions...possible food sensitivity

DS#2 is 4 weeks old and we've been through quite a ride. When he was 1 week old I was put on antibiotics for 10 days to battle an infection in my c-section incision. Then I was put on a second, 7 day treatment of another antibiotic. Just before the antibiotic started we had transitioned to seedy yellow poops. I took my last antibiotic 5 days ago and we're still having trouble with gassiness and green, mucousy/runny stools (at least 5 a day) and LOTS of spitting up (there have been occasional projectile vomits). While I was on the antibiotic I was just assuming that his symptoms were related to that and my doctor agreed. Now I'm wondering if I need to start eliminating some foods.

Here are my questions...

Possible reasons for the green stools include too much foremilk and food sensitivity...Is that correct? What else? (FWIW, I'm confident that his foremilk/hindmilk balance is good.)

How long does it take for what I consume to make its way into breastmilk? (There must be some averages out there...)

I plan to call the doctor on Monday, but I'm wondering about these things and I can't seem to find what I need via the resources thread.

Thanks,
Beth

TwinKristi 12-09-2006 04:19 PM

Re: Some questions...possible food sensitivity

Usually its within 72hrs... You should notice a big difference by then! Start with dairy and I'm sure someone will have a list of the elimination diet recommended by dr. I'm gonna do a search as well.

katiedidbug 12-09-2006 08:20 PM

My son is five weeks, and I have the same problem of green poop and lots of gas. I've tried to cut dairy, but it's just so hard to cut something that is a huge part of my diet. I know I should cut it. Are there any other foods that could be causing it? I hate seeing the green poop because it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

wilferinde 12-10-2006 12:47 PM

My daughter is now 5 months but had the green poo,gas ect and we got rid of dairy and wheat and was excited to see yellow poop again!!(and a pleasent personality) She now seems to be growing out of the severe sensitivity so I can eat what i want somewhat. Wheat only takes about a day to leave your system but dairy can take up to a week so be patient. I also found that tomatoes gave her a rash too so you may find that its several foods causing the problem. I will look for the list of "problem foods" and post it when I find. Good luck!!