Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What 'cake-like treat' for 1st b-day? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71822)

beenwaitingalongtime 12-09-2006 11:37 PM

What 'cake-like treat' for 1st b-day?

I can't help but gag at 1st b-day parties, watching tiny babies gorging on a pile of lard and sugar topped off w/ multicolored dyes. I'm intro. foods VERY slowly to DD and organic, only. I don't want to give her a piece of machi bark and have everybody laugh at my poor hippie baby when she turns 1, but I don't want the aforementioned lard pile, either. What can I give her that appears 'normal' but is still organic and healthy for her?

jjaelovesenglish 12-09-2006 11:56 PM

Re: What 'cake-like treat' for 1st b-day?

My DD doesn't like cake and couldn't quite figure out how to eat it by her first birthday so we did not do anything except take her to Sears for photos. I know, I know it is supposed to be tradition for all kids turning one, but she was not a normal one year old and I am not a typical mom.

autumnlily 12-10-2006 12:04 AM

There is organic cake mix and even organic frosting....and I know you can substitute applesauce in the cake mix instead of oil/or in combo - it's been awhile since I've baked healthy :blush:

How about banana bread made in a cupcake tin or even small/petite loaf pan. It could be frosted with yogurt with berry juice for coloring. That's if you want to doll it up and hide the "hippie" cake :goodvibes:

Honestly, I broke down and made a confetti cake for my dd. She loved it but we are still battling the rash on her skin and bottom (1st diaper rash EVER!).

jkelstaten 12-10-2006 12:08 AM

DD#2 was majorly allergic to milk, so no frosting for her.......

We did a banana split with no ice cream for her (just a banana and a little caramel topping) and everyone else had regular banana splits. It was a hit. We got lots of compliments about it being different from the norm.

soygurl 12-10-2006 12:46 AM

I know someone on another board who made a Watermelon "Cake" but instead of using whiped topping, just frosted it in a mix of key lime and plain (to cut the sweetness of the yogurt) yogurt. Acctually I think she used soy yogurt, but of course you could use dairy. One thing you can do to make yogurt more "frosting" like is to drain it overnight in the fridge (put it in a colander, lined with a bunch of cheese cloth or a coffee filter, over a bowl).

lilmama2dsndd 12-10-2006 12:49 AM

:thumbsup: make your own organic carrot cake & frosting, thats what I did.

Just buy organic ingrediants:

Carrot Cake
4 or 5 med carrots
1 1/2 cups unbleached, enriched white flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey or 1 cup sugar (obviously for a 1 yr old go with sugar)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. peel & grate carrots to make 2 cups
2. sift together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda & salt
3. cream together oil & honey/sugar
4. blend in eggs & vanilla extract
5. blend in dry ingrediants, alternating with grated carrots
6. tansfer to square 9x9 baking dish
7 bake @ 375 F for 30-35 min
8. cool in pan 5-10 min, transfer to wire rack to finish cooling, then frost

Cream cheese frosting:
6 oz softened cream cheese (I used organic whipped)
2 tbsp honey or 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. use a blender, food processor or electric mixer to blend cream cheese, honey/sugar & vanilla extract until smooth
2. chill to make firm enough for frosting & decorating
3. frost & decorate

This is the receipe from the LLL first foods cookbook

ETA: My sis did the same cake for her dairy & soy sensitive DD and made a rice milk frosting that was actually pretty good.

dirtdartwife 12-10-2006 01:15 AM

:yeahthat: Lots of good advice and that recipe looks great!

Good luck mama! :goodvibes:

png_lovebirds 12-10-2006 06:58 AM

You could do what we did...we let him get himself messy for the cameras....and then we took it away and ate it ourselves once the pics were taken!!! ;) While we ate cake he got some Gerber puffs!

katy_mb3 12-10-2006 07:36 AM

My MIL (the wonderful woman that she is :goodvibes:) made Abby a sugar-free/cranberry coffee-cake type of thing. It was definitely healthier than most B-day cakes and yummier too!!

..I also cringe at the thought of babies eating the traditional cake with all those refined, empty calories. I thought MIL's idea was a great compromise!!

Taylor 12-10-2006 08:13 AM

I think we're planning on doing a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting or a whole-grain muffin with cream cheese frosting. :thumbsup:

My mother thinks I'm nuts, but DS gets next to no artificial sugars in his normal diet - so why would I overload his little body with chocolate cake & chocolate frosting on his birthday? He'd get incredibly high and then crash. :(