Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How do YOU eat healthy? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71902)

mercy589 12-10-2006 11:30 AM

How do YOU eat healthy?

What are your basic guidelines or simple things that you've implemented to eat healthier? For example, here's mine -

I mainly drink just water.
I started making our bread with a bread machine (its cheaper and there are no preservatives).
We try to add more fruits and veggies to our diet (need more recpies and ideas on this!).
We have tried to get whole wheat pasta/ bread and dont really like it, lol. Sometimes I'll mix 1/2 and 1/2 regular/ wheat pasta.
We've cut down on sweets/ sugar/ snack foods.
I've been trying to get recipes for things instead of buying it in a box or can - like macaroni, brownies, etc. (most times its not as hard as I thought to make it from scratch, is cheaper, and has no preservatives!)

How about you? Inspire me! lol

tash 12-10-2006 01:59 PM

Re: How do YOU eat healthy?

I drink watered down juice. I try to drink water, but I just recently found ONE kind that I like.
I am vegitarian. we have a family history of issues with animal cholesteral.
I like wheat, and I try to eat it. but my husband doesnt like it. but I do have him buying wheat buns now :mrgreen:
I try to snack on granola instead of chips. again my husband isnt much help here.

tsk_mum 12-11-2006 02:55 PM

I dont buy sodas at all b/c *I* dont drink them. DH & DD have them occasionally when we go out or DH buys them.
I have fruits & veggies delivered every week, that way we always have healthy things & try new ones.
I make my own bread sometimes.
We eat alot of salads loaded with veggies b4 meals. That way we get the good stuff & dont over eat.
I try not to buy prepackaged foods &
I really dont buy junk food thats the easiet way to avoid it:giggle:

OneFabMama 12-11-2006 04:55 PM

Oh jeeez LOL

For DD I try and buy mainly all organic for her. And, I try to cut out dyes in her diet. But sometimes its just easier LOL

I buy whole wheat everything. I find no taste difference between regular pasta and whole wheat organic pasta. TJs has it for .99 (organic too).

NO SODA IN THE HOUSE!!!!!! We have organic juice, water or milk, and choco organic soy milk. DH hate that LOL I dont mind so much.

Lots and lots and lots of fruits and veggies (fresh and sometimes frozen I stay away from canned as much as possible since inthe canning process they tend to lose their nutritional value).

I keep freeze dried fruits and veggies on hand for a quick, easy, healthy snack for all of us.

I try and avoid any boxed foods. I find you can make whatever is in the box (tuna casserole for example or those rice a roni things) in the same amount of time with your own ingredients, less salt and fat, tastes better and you control everything. Its cheaper, and better for you in the end. I do however keep some on hand when they go on sale for quick meals, or if DH gets hungry he can whip something up. Or whatever. But, I try to avoid that.

I rarely ever buy beef. Ever. I buy free range chicken, fish, ground turkey in place of ground beef. Lean meats!

I dont buy cookies, cakes, brownies, etc..I mean on occasion I'll have some around but I dont make it a habit. Especially "junky" ones. I do buy some vegan cookies that a local market sells and they are all natural, all organic, preservative free so I feel A-Okay eating them :giggle:

I try and shop on the outskirts of the grocery store (unless I'm in whole foods or trader joes LOL) produce, deli, and fresh breads. And never go in hungry LOL

Water water water water! I also found the love for flavored carbonated water. It spices it up a little bit. But it does have aspertame in it so I try not drink a lot of it all the time. But after drinking 60 oz of water a day - you need some TASTE! LOL

I think that is it...

Severine 12-13-2006 08:50 AM

I go in spurts, but for the most part:

*I exclusively drink water
*We only have all natural or organic whole grain bread in the house (I just bought a bread machine, though, so I'm going to try my hand at making my own once I become a SAHM)
*When I use milk, it's raw milk
*Most of our snacks are organic
*No artificial colors!

I have a long way to go. With working 2 jobs right now, I still need convenience foods. I don't have the time to plan and make from scratch most of the time. But we try to have high quality and/or organic foods on hand to make this easier.

DD eats healthier than I do (lots of fruits and veggies, real oatmeal, etc) but that's mainly because when money is tight, I put it toward her stuff instead of mine.

elizablessed 12-13-2006 08:14 PM

We drink spring water (from a local spring) or mineral water
Raw milk or almond milk
Organic and local cheese, butter, veggies (as much as possible)
free ranging antibiotic and hormone free eggs, chicken, beef
wild caught salmon
We prepare most all things from scratch, except our bread (I do sometimes make bread)
My big vices are tortilla chips, chai tea, and occasional desserts when we eat at my husband's aunts house!

I also just try to be grateful for all the food I consume. If I can't feel good about eating it, I don't eat it. This is something that is really important to me, but I'm far from perfect.

mercy589 12-13-2006 08:36 PM

[QUOTE=elizablessed;533784]We prepare most all things from scratch, except our bread (I do sometimes make bread)QUOTE]

Do you have any recipes to share? What kinds of things do you make? :goodvibes:

mercy589 12-13-2006 08:38 PM

Great stuff everyone. I'm feeling inspired. :) lol Thanks for sharing.

Laniemel 12-14-2006 02:53 AM

I'm not *that* healthy, but I try. I use ground turkey and turkey sausage a lot. My dh loves southern breakfasts, so sausage, eggs, and biscuits are a must. We eat a lot of brown rice and I try to cook everything from scratch.

Mac and cheese is easy. Cook the macaroni, throw it in a casserole dish (the deep kind) throw in a bunch of shredded chedder and a container of cottage cheese (however much makes you happy and will fit), salt and pepper, and then throw some bread crumbs on top. Or you can top it with croutons for a change. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, just keep an eye on it. If it looks like the top is getting done too quick, cover it with foil.
*I personally season everything to death, so I add garlic, parsley, and cayenne to the mac and cheese mix.

Baking your own bread is actually really easy. I don't have a bread machine, never found the need for one. Just make sure you keep your wheat flour in the ice box. Wheat has a lot of gluten and it will go rank after awhile if you don't keep it in a cool and dark place.

mercy589 12-14-2006 09:31 AM

Ooh, I'll have to try that! Thanks!