Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Not allowed on Field Trip if I breastfeed UPDATE (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=720378)

Willows 04-14-2009 02:25 PM

Not allowed on Field Trip if I breastfeed UPDATE

I have not volunteered in my older childrens third grade class this year because of DS2. But my DD asked her teacher if I could bring the baby on a field trip to a public park. Her response was that I was welcome to bring the baby as long as didn't breastfeed as it would be "inappropriate" . I am fuming ! I didn't call into the school yet just in case am overreacting. What would you do?

UPDATE I received another call back today from the school. I received an apology from the school, principal and teacher. The principal said the teacher could not even remember what the comment was made about exactly but that she does not have issue with breastfeeding. She acknowledged making the comment but apologized for saying it and for upsetting my daughter. She stated the comment was about me helping in the classroom but either was it should not have been said.I feel satisfied with response, the principal was very nice and apologetic and said that in no way would the school be no supporting breastfeeding.

Willow wife to Ian:yay Mom to surviving quads Abrial, Jalene, Rylan and my lost baby Tiana 10/11/99 and my brand new bean Finn 11/08/2008

rvela 04-14-2009 02:40 PM

Re: Not allowed on Field Trip if I breastfeed

Are you serious ? :banghead: That's discrimination!!! Not to mention illegal! I understand her point of view as the teacher wanting to protect her students from anything they might "see" but this is not the correct way to approach the situation at all. She should definetly speak with you if she has a problem.

ETA: It's highly possible that they may see someone breastfeeding at a public park anyway.

nini02 04-14-2009 02:44 PM

:holysheep: You have every right to breastfeed your baby at a park and she has no right to tell you anything different. I could see her maybe asking you to be a little extra discreet in front of the kids, but to say 'no' altogether? I would be mad.

bugnbear 04-14-2009 02:46 PM

wow :jawdrop: thats all I can say, im at a loss....I have no clue what id say, id be angry but I think id probably just shut my mouth and not say a word, which is probably not the right thing. Thats just who I am. Wow good luck

Teffer 04-14-2009 02:49 PM

The school has no right legally to exclude you for any reason from your child's activities. Go and BF regardless of what they say. They cannot call the police, remove you or punish your child in any way, so there's literally nothing they can do to stop you.

Willows 04-14-2009 02:53 PM

Its funny because I have NIP since the baby was a week old and my 9 year olds are so used to it. My daughter couldn't figure out what was inappropriate. I explained and she rolled her eyes and says "they are just breasts"

foodie.yarnie.mommie. 04-14-2009 02:56 PM

I would give them a call and let them know the situation. Ask them if they have an official policy in accordance with the law, and if their teachers are aware of it. It may give them an opportunity to create one and educate their teachers a little bit. :hugs:

Willows 04-14-2009 02:59 PM

I'm in PA I think the law is pretty pro-breastfeeding. My DH says I need to go now on principle alone.

Willow wife to Ian:yay Mom to surviving quads Abrial, Jalene, Rylan and my lost baby Tiana 10/11/99 and my brand new bean Finn 11/08/2008

mommyof2wildboys 04-14-2009 03:04 PM

I would be calling the school. They can not stop you from going.

jes750 04-14-2009 03:13 PM

What would be "inappropriate" would be to let your baby be hungry by not breastfeeding. I'd be calling the superintendent.