Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Attn Non-Vax Mamas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72829)

katiedidbug 12-12-2006 06:50 PM

Attn Non-Vax Mamas

For those of you who don't vax, may I ask why. Also, what material did you use to make your decision? Any online links? What was the deciding factor?
Also, vax mamas, what made you decide to vax?
I don't want to start any arguments. Please don't fight about your opinion. I'm just interested in your thoughts as I try to make this decision for my little guy because his first round is scheduled in a few weeks. Thanks, mamas!

JustAugust 12-12-2006 10:29 PM

Re: Attn Non-Vax Mamas

We're undecided right now. My main thing is that, whether we decide to vaccinate Jackson or not, no child will EVER be vaccinated on schedule. They want kids these days to have 20 shots (more diseases as some are combo. shots) before they are one. That's enough to hurt anyones system! Especially an infant 20lbs or less! It just seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

What I've used most is my instinct. It's never wrong when it comes to my son. And I do not think it's safe for him to be vaccinated right now. I do worry about him catching something sometimes, but I'm more worried about what is in the vaccinations. My son is a perfect, healthy, developing little boy. Anything that could change his personality scares me. I adore who he is.

The two I thought hardest about were Pertussis and Hib. I've decided against Pertussis as it's one of the LEAST effective vaccinations there are. There are outbreaks still, but normally within families. And something like 90% of those who get it are under 6 months old. Hib... most of us didn't have it growing up and we never worried, right? Plus, it decreases your risk of some strains, but increases your chances for others.

Another big factor for me was SIDS and the VEARS reports. SIDS is basically unheard of in non-vaccinating areas. I truely believe 99% of SIDS cases are vaccine related. That is just my personal belief. Something I, in no way, am willing to risk. Also, when you look up the VEARS reports, (I put in the keys "died" and under certain ages), there are just cases and cases of infants under 2 that died without any cause, but within days of vaccinations.

I am learning more every day. Right now I lean towards vaccinating, but VERY VERY VERY delayed and selectively. More than likely nothing at all before the age of two.

Some links I've checked out. Most are just information in general, not really pro or anti vaccination.

Notifiable Diseases/Deaths broken down by states

VEARS Reports broken down by years

CDC's Parent's Guide to Vaccinations

CDC Pink Book- made for Docs and whatnot

WHO VPD rates, common vs. uncommon

Search VEARS by reaction, date, age, etc.

VIS- Vaccine Information Sheets- list ingrediants, this is an anti-vax site

Vaccine Information- Q&A, pics of the diseases, etc. Pro-vax site

Also, Stephanie Cave's book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccination" is GREAT!

I heard of another book by Neil Miller, can't remember the name, but I plan on checking it out this week.

tessa1002 12-12-2006 10:35 PM

We're selective/delay.

This is the best article I've ever read on it.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller15.html

Most anti-vax sites I've seen are about trying to scare you. This article simply states things the way they are.

HTH! :thumbsup:

iris0110 12-12-2006 11:09 PM

We don't vax at all. The big decider for us was Ds1's reaction. I know that he is now autistic because he was vaccinated, there is not a single question in my mind as to what caused it. That made the decision for me right there. We will never ever vax again. But as i was studying I learned that I don't even agree with the theory's behind vaxing.

There are some great books out there. One by Stephanie cave (I believe it is called what your doctor may not tell you about childhood vaccinations, she is a Dr herself). One by Randall Neustrader (I believe this is A thoughtful Parents guide or something similar). And of Course Mendhelsons How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of your Pediatrician. That is a super book, and he was a pediatrician for years.

I also personally love the mothering for info on Vaxes. Some people don't, they say it is too intense or they use scare tactics, but if you want help finding studies and info that is the place to go. www.mothering.com/discussions go to the Vaccinations board.

reborin 12-12-2006 11:57 PM

We don't vax for 2 reasons.

Dh's reason: The medical establishment is not looking out for the best interests of the child. Looking out for the best interests of the child means determining in consultation w/parents and dr's whether vaccination would be of benefit to the child, and if so which ones and when they should be given. Since this almost never happens, and as dr's are taught in med school not to question the authorities who determine the schedules and types of vaccines routinely given to children,, we believe it is our responsibility to act in their best interests and protect the children from overly ambitious medical staffing.

The second reason is because my family (not his) have a TON of auto-immune issues including SLE (lupus), diabetes, RA, Sjorgren's Syndrome and more. This is my IMMEDIATE family, and extends to aunts and uncles on my dad's side for a few generations. :( I'm just not willing to initiate a reaction to a vaccine, because there is no controlling it and it will wreck, literally, the quality of life for my child for the remainder of their lives. Pain, physical limitations, constant medical worries and check-ups, life long drug dependence. :(

When I was making the decision not to vax, I did a lot of online and book reading. There's the Vaccine book put out by mothering, and the Aviva Jill Romm book, 'cause I love AJM, and if you just google it, you'll find LOTS. It IS hard to find sensible information that isn't one-sided, but sift and wade, mama. Sift and wade...

jenmcfar 12-13-2006 12:19 AM

Here's a linky to the part of my doula site that has vaccination links, both anti and pro. http://www.mybirthbydesign.com/Links.html#vax

I vaxed my first three, but not my last two, and I didn't finish all of the shots on my third child. We stopped vaxing when he was 1, just after his chicken pox vaccine. I didn't think we had a choice to not vax before that and hadn't really looked into what all was in vaccines and how they were made. My 3rd son that got the CP vax ended up getting CP anyhow, so that was pointless! Also, I slipped into a coma after getting my second DTP shot as a toddler and so got no further vaxes until I was a senior in high school.

These experiences combined with what my research turned up and the fact that I found out that some vaccines had been initially made from aborted fetal tissue convinced me not to vax. Being pro life, I couldn't in good conscience object to stem cell research and abortion and then use vaccinations used from aborted fetal tissue lines. But, even ones that are not made from those lines we dont' do. We dont' do any vaxes now.

Hayley 12-13-2006 12:43 AM

Here is some great info that was posted here before that I like to use to refer to. :)

http://www.nvic.org/state-site/state-exemptions.htm

triscuitsmom 12-13-2006 04:35 AM

You have been given some great links and advice!

I will not be vaxing any of my children either I don't think. At first I was just delaying/selectively vaxing but now I don't believe I will be doing it at all. There is just too much that could go wrong IMO.

Stephanie Cave's book is a great read, I highly highly recommend it!

Good luck deciding Mama :thumbsup:

reborin 12-13-2006 07:39 AM

yesterday I watched this video that showed how polio vax (oral) was made using monkey kidneys as a substrate to grow the virus, and could be the start of the AIDS/HIV virus. :(

It's actually recommended to use human substrate because it's not as likely to have any side effects. Chick/egg can cause allergic reactions, transfer viruses, etc., as can other animal (horse) substrates. It's all weird and gross. I gotta say that for some of these, we'd be way better off figuring out a way to kill the virus once it's in people than preventing it, but the #'s are smaller etc. so not as much $$$ for the drug co's. :(

reborin 12-13-2006 07:41 AM

Here it is (long)

Origin of AIDS