Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   anyone use/have a pizza/bread stone? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72879)

Taowensf 12-12-2006 09:13 PM

anyone use/have a pizza/bread stone?

I was thinking of getting one of these, mainly for baking bread (which I'm about to start doing again.. soon.. :blush: ), but I have heard in the past that some of them crack really easily. So, I was wondering if anyone has one, what kind, how much has it been used, has it cracked, and would you buy it if you had to do it over again!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

redhotmavis 12-12-2006 09:17 PM

Re: anyone use/have a pizza/bread stone?

I have had the same cheapo ($15)one for ten years and it is awesome! It has not cracked. I use it at least twice a week. I never immerse it in water (hence, no cracks). Just sprinkle cornmeal on it so the bread/pizza doesn't stick.

PS friends of mine had one that they dropped and it broke in half and they continued to use it with no trouble...

smittybike 12-12-2006 09:50 PM

We are on our second, one day it just broke when we took it out of the oven, we got our first one at Odd Lots, real cheap, we went for a fancy one this time, they both work great!

fostermomcchr 12-12-2006 10:49 PM

Oh, I love my Pampered Chef stones-they are the best in the world! They even come with a guarantee, if they break in the first year it is fully replaced no matter how it broke-I broke mine by having it on a burner and I turned the wrong burner onto high heat and the stone cracked in half so they mailed me a brand new one. If it breaks in the first 3 yrs, you can buy a new one for 50% off the price. They really are pretty indistructable, I have abused mine and they are all great! They cook soooooo well!

Taowensf 12-12-2006 11:03 PM

Oh, that's good news! Any idea how thick they are? I'm wondering if that has anything to do with cracking... hmm..

CarrieMF 12-12-2006 11:33 PM

We have a pampered chef one. We've had it for just over 7 years and never a problem. I do imerse it in water, but never soak it in water. It is used a couple times a month for pizza.

Tasha 12-13-2006 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fostermomcchr (Post 530271)
Oh, I love my Pampered Chef stones-they are the best in the world! They even come with a guarantee, if they break in the first year it is fully replaced no matter how it broke-I broke mine by having it on a burner and I turned the wrong burner onto high heat and the stone cracked in half so they mailed me a brand new one. If it breaks in the first 3 yrs, you can buy a new one for 50% off the price. They really are pretty indistructable, I have abused mine and they are all great! They cook soooooo well!

I did the exact same thing about 3 months after I bought mine! I didn't know about the replacement policy at the time, and just ordered a new one. :banghead: But I love our pizza stone, it works great!

dirtdartwife 12-13-2006 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fostermomcchr (Post 530271)

:yeahthat:
I've got a pizza stone, a bread stone (the four loaves kind), a loaf stone, a pie stone and I just bought another pie stone.

They're awesome!!!!

thickness? I wouldn't say more than a 1/2 inch thick... i don't recall and I'm too lazy to check.. .but if you get onto Pampered Chef I'm sure you can find the answer you're looking for.

Good luck!!! :thumbsup: :goodvibes:

soygurl 12-13-2006 03:14 AM

I'm cheap so I just use an unglazed quary tile. It's really the same thing, only WAY cheaper ($1-$3) so I don't care if it brakes (I haven't had it long but it's fine so far...)

little*sprouts*garden 12-13-2006 06:08 AM

happy2Bamommy on here sells Pampered Chef at a discount to DS mommas and she is SUPER DUPER nice!! :goodvibes: