Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Great Lakes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Chicagoland moms- anyone use Homefirst? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729490)

sisterof10 04-26-2009 01:33 AM

Chicagoland moms- anyone use Homefirst?

I was wondering if anyone on here knows much about them. We're new to the area, and the name comes up on my searches all the time, but I don't know anyone who actually uses them.

So.... are they worth their salt?

kristinc 04-26-2009 06:21 AM

Re: Chicagoland moms- anyone use Homefirst?

i am not sure how helpful this is to you, but i started with them when dh & i moved here. i was planning to have a homebirth or midwife assisted birth and that is who i found too so i started with them as my gynie while we were ttc. I did not ahve a good experience...actually worst pap of my life.....the dr opened the door and left the room with me in the stirrups and my personal space about 12 inches from the door in plain site of anyone walking down the hall. She had to use a child sized speculum b/c for some reason she couldn't get a regular one in...which has never happened before. And then when she did manage to get it in she scratched my cervix and i bleed for more than a day:-( And at the time they were charging you an extra fee on top of whatever your insurance fee was for the "unique and unusual experience" or some crap like that. I think they might have done away with that b/c people would complain about it so much. As bad as my experience was I have heard that some of the dr's there are great....and i am specifically speaking about 1 dr in particular that i saw in the naperville office. They have offices all over chicagoland and some of their dr's are outstanding. If you want to google more about them i think there is a larger response at mothering.com.

shoppingmama712 04-26-2009 05:13 PM

I'm not sure if you are looking into them for yourself or your LO but we only have experience with them for dd. We always see Dr. Zumhagen and love him! I wasn't sure if I liked him at first but he def. grew on me. We have been to the naperville, rolling meadows and orland offices. The Orland office is by far the best as it is newest. I heard bad things about the condition of the rolling meadows office before we went there for allergy testing but it was recently updated so it is pretty nice now. I haven't been to the naperville office since october but the building is pretty old. Overall we have had good experiences with them and continue to go back. HTH!

kristinc 04-27-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoppingmama712 (Post 7072403)
I'm not sure if you are looking into them for yourself or your LO but we only have experience with them for dd. We always see Dr. Zumhagen and love him! I wasn't sure if I liked him at first but he def. grew on me. We have been to the naperville, rolling meadows and orland offices. The Orland office is by far the best as it is newest. I heard bad things about the condition of the rolling meadows office before we went there for allergy testing but it was recently updated so it is pretty nice now. I haven't been to the naperville office since october but the building is pretty old. Overall we have had good experiences with them and continue to go back. HTH!

yes....zumhagen is the one i hear good things about too....but the naperville office is old and gross in my opinion.

i-need-diaper-aa 05-01-2009 12:08 AM

I use homefirst. I don't know if Dr Rosie is still around, but we see Zumhagen and Chatauer pretty regularly when we do need to go. I've only gone to Naperville, and yes, it's pretty old and gross. :p

Jessica

sisterof10 05-04-2009 11:53 PM

Thanks for the input, ladies! I went and talked to Dr. Schautter (I know that's spelled wrong, but don't feel like looking it up :giggle: ) on Friday, and they seem pretty laid-back. I need to do some number crunching to figure out if we can go with them.

KristyG5 05-29-2009 10:41 PM

I didn't use them for my prenatal care, but we take our daughter there now. Dr. Zumhagen was recommended to me from an old client who worked as a nurse for him and I really like him. We've also seen Dr. Schattauer too and he was very nice. I love how they're accepting (encouraging, even) of no/delayed/selective vaccines and will try alternatives to antibiotics when warranted.

harmoni247 05-30-2009 01:50 PM

i love them :) i looked them up for a homebirth, but couldn't use them ($$$$) but now my kids see them....I first met with dr. rosi and he is by far my favorite! (i always get him when i call in the middle of the night too :blush: ) he reminds me of the dad on my big fat greek wedding, except, instead of windex-everything, it's breastmilk-everything :giggle2:

now we see dr. schattauer mostly (my second favorite) and dr. zumhagen when we need to (dr. schattauer is off, etc.) i've only seen dr. zumhagen twice though and the first time i didn't like hi at all compared to schattauer, but the second time he grew on me more

as for the offices, nope, they're not like a hospital or anything, but they don't bother me, but i think that's because i got over the shock when i had ds1 with cnms in the area and their office was very siilar, i peed in a dixie cup instead of those fancy-smanshy sterile cups and i freaked the first visit, but now i like that laid back setting, and so long as they keep their instruments sterile, i'm not concerned...but i'm definitely not a germaphobe

JollyHolly 05-31-2009 01:06 AM

I take my kiddos to Homefirst and actually had my DS at home with them. I love them. Dr. Rosi is my favorite, he attended my birth by request and was awesome! I'd say my 2nd favorite is Dr. Zumhagen b/c he is very laid back and sensitive towards my concerns. I guess I'm the only one who is a little put off by Shatthauer- he always gives me strange vibes when I'm there.. :headscratch: Like he seems to be uncomfortable or preoccupied or something. :dunno: FWIW, Shatthauer did my 6 week postpartum pap and it was great (for a pap I guess lol).

I use the Orland office, which is really nice. I really love the laid back atmosphere, and the nurse ( I think her name is Kathy) is always really nice to dd. I really love how supportive they are of the mamas and whole family atmosphere, you dont seem to be just a number at all, and very natural-minded! My doula liked Dr. Rosi so much at my birth, that she made him her pedi for her baby that is due any day! :)

sisterof10 06-15-2009 12:01 PM

All of this is so good to hear! Thanks so much mommas!

I have another question.... I don't understand why they require you to have a doula. DH and I have done this together several times (and MIL will be watching the kids, so I don't have to worry about them needing DH). I know people seem to love having a doula, but to me, birth is something that DH and I do together... much like conception, but without the nurses/doctors watching :giggle: .

So what is it about a doula that's going to make this birth that much more wonderful? I'm just wondering if this is something I should push back on, because it's already going to be pretty pricey, and I tend to have *very* short labors (last one was just short of two hours from start of labor to nursing my newborn). I just don't see adding the extra cost of a doula.