Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   IDSO Recipes that DO NOT contain (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73148)

mamato5angels 12-13-2006 02:01 PM

IDSO Recipes that DO NOT contain

any form of dairy, butter, Margarine, egg yolk or meat :banghead:

My BIL eats with us everynight and had 2 arteries that are partally blocked. They have put him on a strict diet and he can have none of the items listed above. This has made meals very difficult to prepare.

Please send me your recipes.

PS - buying veggy meat is out of the question he won't buy it and we can't afford it.

Thanks

KaiyaSue 12-13-2006 02:36 PM

Re: IDSO Recipes that DO NOT contain

I dont' have any specific recipes, but I know that you can substitute a heaping Tbs of soy flour for eggs in baked goods. You just add it in w/ the dry ingredients and add a dash of water in with the wet.
I personally love Rice & Beans and meatless chilis. Rice and beans together from a complete protein so it's good for you too.
Maybe you could do bean burritos w/soy cheese too. HTHs!

OneFabMama 12-13-2006 02:45 PM

My suggestion is just lots of fresh produce (stir frys maybe with some tofu which isnt expensive), or with some shrimp which isnt bad for you like red meat is.
Veggie soups, great for winter and cheap! You can throw whatever that needs to be used up in there w/some brown rice or whole wheat pasta.

ravenonyx 12-13-2006 02:54 PM

Soups are good as are some italian meals (pasta w/veggie based sauce.)

You can get TVP very cheap (texturized vegetable protein) and substitute it for ground hamburger. Don't go overboard, but like adding some to spaghetti sauce works well.

Is he completely no meat, or is seafood allowed?

she2dancer 12-13-2006 02:59 PM

What type of foods do you usuallly like to eat??? I am vegan, so I have a ton of recipes that don't include any of those ingredients, but it would help to know what you like and don't like...especially if you have any picky kids:)

You can either pm me or post here and I will dig some recipes out....

Also check out www.theppk.com - tons of recipes ideas on that site (the recipes by "author" Isa are the best...I have never had a bad recipe by her)

Raquelita 12-13-2006 03:13 PM

Do substitutions with your regular recipes:

Milk = Soy milk/rice milk/almond milk
Butter = Olive oil or coconut oil (works really well in baked goods)
Eggs = applesauce (?), water + flax seed oil (can't remember the exact combination), or Egg Beaters which are lighter egg substitute.

Meat = substitute tofu, 'vegetarian' meat by Morningstar Farms, beans, or fish

blessed with boys 12-13-2006 03:25 PM

Ok I'm mean....but I would still let my kids have meat etc...and if he had a difficult time with it being served then I'd tell him he needs to go buy the veggie meat and you will prepare it for him. He should know you cant afford to buy it and your being generous enough having him over for dinner every night. (I really dont know the situation but I'm assuming here) I would make my bil buy the ingredients to the foods he needs to eat, its not asking too much you know.
There are a lot of good recipes out there that are vegan he could eat. I had a great one for veggie burgers, I need to go find it. All the ingredients I surprisingly already had....I also had dh throw them on the grill with a little worche...... sauce (how do you pronounce that let alone say it lol.) since we looooove that stuff on our reg burgers....they were different yes, but still very good. We could substitute our meat burgers for them, now the kids well I'm not sure. We havent been the best role models when it comes to food. I'm trying to fix ud better meals and vegetarian really seems like the healthiest choice....I'm sure getting my kids on board is going to cause a lot of stress at dinner time for a while.
Search vegan recipes online and see what you come up with...or search your favorite meals and then type in veganor vegetarian....thats how we got the veggie burger recipe we liked.
Jackie

Sarah 12-13-2006 04:36 PM

PESTO!!!

mamato5angels 12-13-2006 04:56 PM

We eat anything for the most part. The kids also. There is one "rule" that we have in our house that won't get put off. You have to have a No Thank You Bite of everything every time it is placed on the table.

As far as the pp the DR said no meat. We were wondering about the chicken and fish also. :headscratch:
DBIL is so totally a meat and potato (don't forget the gravy) type a guy. They were farm raised so you had big hearty meals to hold you through the day.

Thanks for the link I will look into it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by she2dancer (Post 532462)
What type of foods do you usuallly like to eat??? I am vegan, so I have a ton of recipes that don't include any of those ingredients, but it would help to know what you like and don't like...especially if you have any picky kids:)

You can either pm me or post here and I will dig some recipes out....

Also check out www.theppk.com - tons of recipes ideas on that site (the recipes by "author" Isa are the best...I have never had a bad recipe by her)

mamato5angels 12-13-2006 05:04 PM

Quote:

but I would still let my kids have meat etc..
We will I am just looking for meals that I could make and have some that I could leave the meat out of and it not be much different. Like tonight we had calico beans. I just had a pot that I left the meat out of for him.

Quote:

He should know you cant afford to buy it and your being generous enough having him over for dinner every night
He totally helps buy food for us. He just went this past Saturday shopping and I came home to find tons of cereal, coffee, ketchup and marg. He also helps to buy meat. But even if he didn't I really don't mind. Being raised on a farm made him really tight with money ( wish I could have some of that) and he just really hates to buy something that will cost "more" than the cheap stuff. This is a man that can spend 6 hours in Lowes pricing a toilet seat :giggle:

I will be sure to check out all the great links and suggestions.