Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Do you have a rice cooker? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73334)

mercy589 12-13-2006 09:03 PM

Do you have a rice cooker?

I have been wondering about rice cookers and if its worth actually buying one or if it would just be one more piece of equipment and a pan would be just as good. lol So what do you think? Anyone have one and love it/ hate it? Which one do you have? Do you cook veggies or chicken or other things in the steamer part? How long does it take to cook rice?

(I always end up boiling the rice over since you have to bring it to a boil and then turn it down, I always end up with stinky rice water in my burners, lol. I am kind of not wanting to buy a rice cooker because I think if I could just catch the rice before it boils over... but then again, if its going to be used alot and make my life easier, I'm all for it.) What do you think?

mercy589 12-13-2006 09:04 PM

Re: Do you have a rice cooker?

Oops, forgot to sub to the thread...

Hayley 12-13-2006 09:05 PM

I have one and every stinking time the rice is HARD i really love the pot method better ;)

redhotmavis 12-13-2006 09:13 PM

i have one (the cheap 15 dollar one from target) and it has changed my life.LOL. I can cook anything, but always either burned or had soggy rice. Now it's great! I wouldn't trade it for anything....

Hayley 12-13-2006 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhotmavis (Post 534055)
i have one (the cheap 15 dollar one from target) and it has changed my life.LOL. I can cook anything, but always either burned or had soggy rice. Now it's great! I wouldn't trade it for anything....

how do you do yours? Mine I have to add water right above the rice and then set it and wait. Seems like it needs more water.

mercy589 12-13-2006 09:25 PM

Which ones do you guys have? Oh, and thats my other problem with cooking rice, it sticks like crazy to the bottom of the pan, does it do that with a rice cooker?

redhotmavis 12-13-2006 09:26 PM

well mine came with a little measuring cup and corresponding lines on the inside of the pan...so two cups of rice, then you fill the pan up to where it says 2 and so on.

it hasn't stuck yet!

mercy589 12-13-2006 09:31 PM

How long does it take to cook rice? Have you used a steamer part with it? Does that work well?

Merolu 12-13-2006 09:56 PM

I have a second hand rice cooker and I love it. toss in the rice, water and seasonings and just let it cook while I stir fry or steam the veggies. the only problem I had was mine was a little too hot, by the time the timer beeped it had a thin layer of brown on the bottom. Not a big deal, never burnt and always tasted good!

Psychomom 12-13-2006 10:09 PM

Well, I am half-Korean so it's like in the rule books that I have to have at least two. :giggle: It's the only way I know how to cook rice.