Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Crochet tips, links, patterns, and other info (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733645)

BabyKaykes 05-01-2009 09:59 AM

Crochet tips, links, patterns, and other info

If you have more to add, please PM me and I will be happy to add it. I am formatting this thread after the knitting one and have kept a lot of the yarn links and info, since it's really the same.

1. Where can I learn to crochet if I've never even heard of it?
Try finding a class at a local yarn shop or craft store (JoAnns, Michael's, etc). They often offer one-day beginner classes that will teach you the basics. Once you've learned the basics, it just takes time and practice.

2. What is a good place online to learn basic and more complicated stitches and techniques?
Nexstitch
Lion Brand Yarn
Crochet abbreviations
Motherload of all crochet videos

3. Where can I order yarn and hooks online?
Note: **SUPERWASH WOOL IS NOT GOOD FOR LONGIES/SOAKERS/SHORTIES***
Patons or Cascade 220 are pretty easy to find at Joannes or LYS
www.knitpicks.com (very economical)
www.hyenacart.com (for fancier yarns)
www.etsy.com (for fancier yarns)
www.littleknits.com
www.alpacadirect.com has good prices on Cascade Yarns
www.yarn.com
www.elann.com
www.100purewool.com is one you will hear talked about a lot on DS, but shipping rates can be prohibitive unless you get in on a co-op. Luckily, those are easy to find.
www.threeirishgirls.com
www.joann.com
www.knitting-warehouse.com
www.lambikins.com

4. What size hooks are best for woolies?
Most crocheters choose hooks F, G, or H. Bigger hooks will yield too many holes with worsted weight yarn. Smaller hooks can be used, but you may have a problem holding on to your yarn.

5. What weight yarn is best for woolies?
Worsted, Aran, or Bulky weight will work well. Worsted is very popular.

6. Patterns
Collections
Carrie/Topazdodges single crochet instructions
Wigglebunz
With a Tangled Skein
Ladybugz
Near Sea Naturals - careful, some of these are knit patterns!
KristieLynn
New Life Woolens

Individual Items
The Tickle Turtle Wrap
Woolly Britches
Crazy Hat Lady Soaker
Glamarama Soaker
Born to Love Soaker
Tabitha's Wrap Soaker
Soft Ribbed Longies
Ribbed Longies
Zoe Soaker
Not Only A Mom Longies
Seashell Lace Skirty (knit soaker)

Other Patterns
Fair Trade Family - Play Food!
Crochet Pattern Central
Bev's Country Cottage
Crochetville
Ravelry
Crochet Garden

7. How much yarn will I need?
As a rule, crochet woollies take about 1.5x MORE yarn than knit items of the same size. Many use THIS chart to determine how much yarn to buy based on the size of the item - this chart is for KNITTING, so don't forget to multiply by 1.5! Also note that the length of your inseam and width of your legs will also determine how much yarn you will use.

8. What types of yarn should I use for woolies?
Most people use any type of wool or wool blend that is at LEAST 85% wool. Some favorites include:
Gaia, Blue-Faced Leicester (BFL), Corriedale, 3 and 1 ply Merino, Cascade 220, Wool of the Andes, Montana Targhee, Cestari Fine or Superfine, Purewool, Black Berry Ridge (BBR).

Superwash wools and acrylic yarns work more like fleece, in that they will hold moisture back, but MAY release some wetness upon compression. They make for a great low maintainence stash, as they can easily be tossed into the regular laundry.

Alpaca is super soft and great for newborn sized items. Older, mobile children wearing alpaca may become too warm, or cause thining and pilling in the yarn. Alpaca/wool blends work very well.

9. What materials do I need to buy to learn how to crochet?

a. G-hook Plastic will produce good results, but most find them hard to work with. A good metal or polished wood hook allows yarn to slip on and off nicely.

b. Worsted-weight yarn Cheap, readily available yarns suitable for learning (and easily found) include Paton's Classic Merino Wool, Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool, Lion Brand Wool, and Lion brand Organic Wool. Again, stay away from superwash wools. Acrylic will also work well.

c. A yarn needle or tapestry needle for weaving in the ends of your finished product.

d. Stitch markers to mark beginnings and ends of short rows. You can use loops of scrap yarn, paperclips, or old earrings, but stitch markers are easier to work with and fairly cheap.

LandonsMama 05-01-2009 08:12 PM

Re: Crochet tips, links, patterns, and other info

Awesome! Thanks for pulling all this info together :D

BabyKaykes 05-05-2009 11:11 AM

...added patterns

EmpressPurl 05-06-2009 06:22 AM

I have some crochet play food patterns on my blog. There's a link in my signature. :)

BabyKaykes 05-06-2009 04:42 PM

Awesome! Thanks Niki!

Scaethach 05-06-2009 09:36 PM

Subbing, maybe this is what I need to get back into crochet more ;)

BabyKaykes 05-15-2009 10:45 AM

bump!

Serendipitous Creationz 05-22-2009 10:12 PM

Thanks! :goodvibes:

MTanner 05-23-2009 06:43 AM

Great sites...
Also the knittingwarehouse is a great place to buy yarn and crochet hook too. I get my stuff from there...

mibelleson 06-04-2009 01:32 AM

thanks for the info! i've been looking for better patterns. the one i'm using right now for soakers makes HUGE ones. :(

where in socal are u?