Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Co-sleepers: when to transition and what kind of bed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73519)

L J 12-14-2006 11:56 AM

Co-sleepers: when to transition and what kind of bed?

I am fixing to admit something very embarrassing here... :blush: But it ties into my question in a big way. My parents were very AP, and we coslept. Until I was 8. My dad decided when I was 8 that it was time for me to move into my own bed, in my own room, and it was very tramatic, to say the least. It seriously took me months to be okay sleeping in there by myself.

I know that his method of transitioning me was too abrupt, and a slower transition would have been a better idea.

But, I am still concerned about when I should being to transition Henry into his own bed. I don't want it to be a tramatic experience for him, like it was for me.

I don't even have a crib or a bassinet or anything right now, and I will be breastfeeding, so it makes more sense to have him in bed with me for at least the first year, right? (I don't have room for another bed/crib in either my apt. or my parents' house, whichever I wind up living in after he is born, so that's a factor for the time being.)

So, here are my questions:
(1) At what age did you (are you) begin to transition your little one to their own bed/room? What steps did you follow to make the transition easier on everyone involved?

(2) Did you transition into a toddler bed or a normal (twin or full) sized bed? Do you even think that matters, to the child? Would a smaller bed somehow make a smaller child feel more secure, or does it really depend on the child?

jrk 12-14-2006 01:12 PM

Re: Co-sleepers: when to transition and what kind of bed?

I had both a bassinet and a crib. We coslept with Logan until he was about 6 months old. At around 5 months, I started putting him in the crib at night(which was in my room) and then when he got up to nurse, I would keep him in bed with me. I figured at least then, he'd start going to sleep by himself. When he started sleeping through the night, after a month, we moved him to his own room. Now, he sleeps fine by himself. He wakes up at about 5:30 or 6 to nurse (10 months old) and I have to put him back to bed when he's done because he gets really mad if I'm too close to him when he's sleeping. It's sad, but I'm glad he's fine sleeping in his own room.

But, I have to add, it's up to you. Every family is different.

SandyG 12-14-2006 01:34 PM

watching this thread
david is 3.5 and i want to tranistion him slowly too. but not yet. when we get our home next summer though

Kimmomy2dom 12-14-2006 02:31 PM

We moved Dom at around 2. We tried before the girls were born, but he didn't like it. After a couple loud nights after they were born he wanted to stay in his bed all night, LOL. He's 26 months and still sleeps in there. I don't kick him out of my bed if I find him in there, though. He sleeps in our old queen size. We have a king.

annes_cottage 12-14-2006 03:57 PM

We transitioned Destiny when she was around 2 because I was having Landan and didn't want both of them in bed with me. She did fine and went to a twin bed.

Then Landan transitioned into his crib around 10 mos and when he would wake up to nurse he would spend the rest of the night with me. Welllll.......then I got pregnant with this baby and somehow both of them ended up back in bed with me and when hubby is home he sleeps on the couch. I did get a toddler bed for Landan and he will not sleep in it. He is used to sleeping in my queen size bed so he just does not have enough room. Right this minute my hubby is putting together a full size bed in Destiny's room. I am hoping Destiny and Landan will sleep in their together since they will not sleep alone.

I will post later how it goes! lol :goodvibes: I want them both transitioned before Leland gets here!

geckoed 12-15-2006 07:19 AM

depends on the kid.
You might as well go right to a real bed, your kid has always slept in a real bed.
My first kid started napping in his own room around 2. Around 15-18 months is when we move their clothes and toys to a bedroom that becomes "their room" whether its their own or a shared room.
They like having their own room. Even if they don't sleep in it.
My 4yr old is still with us, and the other 2 had moved themselves out by 2 and 3. My 1yr old is of course still with us. I'm hoping to move one of them- either one- to the nursery or a side-car arrangement before the newest baby comes.

lovinlife 12-15-2006 08:40 AM

About a month ago we bought a twin bed for DS (9 mos. old). It sits on the floor next to our bed, hemmed in on 3 sides by the corner of the room and our bed. At night, when he wakes to nurse, I just sort of roll out of bed into his bed, nurse him, and then either fall asleep there or go back up into our bed. Sometimes I bring him into our bed if he's restless. At some point, I figure we'll move his bed further away from ours, and eventually into his own room. Right now he still wakes up 2-4 times a night to nurse, though, so he's staying with us!

tatumsmom 12-15-2006 08:46 AM

:popcorn: dd is 10months old..I have been wondering the same thing. I am not ready to give up the cuddling and night nursing just yet, but I think by next year we might all be ready...?

annes_cottage 12-15-2006 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annes_cottage (Post 536813)
We transitioned Destiny when she was around 2 because I was having Landan and didn't want both of them in bed with me. She did fine and went to a twin bed.

Then Landan transitioned into his crib around 10 mos and when he would wake up to nurse he would spend the rest of the night with me. Welllll.......then I got pregnant with this baby and somehow both of them ended up back in bed with me and when hubby is home he sleeps on the couch. I did get a toddler bed for Landan and he will not sleep in it. He is used to sleeping in my queen size bed so he just does not have enough room. Right this minute my hubby is putting together a full size bed in Destiny's room. I am hoping Destiny and Landan will sleep in their together since they will not sleep alone.

I will post later how it goes! lol :goodvibes: I want them both transitioned before Leland gets here!

Well last night I had to go in there one time because they were up with the light on jumping around...lol But after that they fell asleep and slept all night!! I must say I did sleep better last night! No feet or knees in my back!! lol:goodvibes:

mama2iliana 12-15-2006 08:57 AM

We co-slept for the first 2 yrs+ and I planned on transitioning dd slowly to her own bed when she was ready. I made a big deal about getting a twin futon for her room and having her help me put together the frame then making the bed together with a special quilt her Oma made. She was so proud of having her own bed that she has been going to bed there every night since. I sleep on a different floor of our house so when I go to bed at night I take her up with me :blush: .