Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Testing the WAHM Waters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   I am new and I need advice... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=736915)

marahbelle 05-05-2009 03:11 PM

I am new and I need advice...

I am a newbie to the world of cloth diapering. As such, I am very new to the DS community. I am still learning the ropes so-to-speak, and I need some direction on what the appropriate forum is for the questions that I have for the other moms on here.

I have discovered this week that there are very few, if any, viable options for baby hammocks/motion beds on the market unless you have $200-$400 to spend and are willing to live with beige or white. I believe I may have found an untapped market in this area. So, I am considering making and selling baby hammocks that are attractive, customizable and most importantly, affordable. I need feedback from other moms on whether or not this is a product worth pursuing, and at what price point they would actually consider trying one. As well as finding testers for the product if I find this is something worth pursuing.

Where do I go to find this information? I have been told I am not welcome in the WAHM forum because I am new, and I need to reapply for membership once I have 60+ posts (not counting FSOT) or I have positive feedback from somewhere else. I can't get positive feedback if I can't put a product out there. I can't put a product out there without some mama feedback. I can't get mama feedback without access to the WAHM forum. Do you see the ugly cycle I am being sucked up in?

So, where in this community do I start if not in the WAHM forum?

CouponMama 05-05-2009 03:18 PM

Re: I am new and I need advice...

You have to buy and sell on here to get feedback.

SarahLee318 05-05-2009 03:23 PM

you just need to comment, 'post', in other forums to get your post count up...it's not that you're not welcome. pull up your panties and post, lol!

marahbelle 05-05-2009 05:30 PM

I never thought of doing that. Thank you! It would have taken me forever to find 60 different things to post about that weren't FSOT related. I am just not that social.:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahLee318 (Post 7170027)
you just need to comment, 'post', in other forums to get your post count up...it's not that you're not welcome. pull up your panties and post, lol!

Bukawww 05-10-2009 11:49 AM

I have to be honest, the items you want to make/sell could have a LOT of liability to go along with them. I know that my friend used an Amby with her baby and almost lost her (mama instincts kicked in to check on her and she was stuck face down). I would make sure you are willing to get a lawyer and cover all of your bases so no one gets hurt. With slings, you can add a disclaimer but with baby beds, the consequences could be much more devastating since parents tend to not monitor a baby in their bed 100% of the time (hopefully they are getting some shut eye themselves :giggle: ).

marahbelle 05-10-2009 08:37 PM

Thank you for pointing that out. I hadn't even thought about the liability issue. I wouldn't release a product that I didn't feel was safe enough to use on my own child, but still accidents happen. I have a lawyer in my family, and I will definitely have to consult with him before I move forward past using this product with my own baby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bukawww (Post 7218908)
I have to be honest, the items you want to
make/sell could have a LOT of liability to go along with them. I know that my friend used an Amby with her baby and almost lost her (mama instincts kicked in to check on her and she was stuck face down). I would make sure you are willing to get a lawyer and cover all of your bases so no one gets hurt. With slings, you can add a disclaimer but with baby beds, the consequences could be much more devastating since parents tend to not monitor a baby in their bed 100% of the time (hopefully they are getting some shut eye themselves :giggle: ).