Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   BFing and baby bowel movements? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7390)

Trishalynn 05-19-2006 11:26 PM

BFing and baby bowel movements?

So baby's only 3 days old and has only had 2 bm's. The staff at the hospital say its because she's not eating enough (my milk just came in today), but she's feeding every 3 hours for about 20 minutes at a time and I feed her till I can't stimulate her enough to get anymore in her. She seems pretty lethargic right now, but that may just be cause she's only 3 days old. Is it ok for her to not have had anymore bm's? she hasn't had one in 24 hours, although we did suppliment one feeding with formula to make sure she was getting enough, so we know there's food in there. could she be constipated? What would I do to help her with that? She's really gassy and tooting all the time so I think she wants to have a bm. Also under my armpits is really sore now that my milk is in anyway to find relief from that other than bfing, I'm feeding her all that she'll take right now and they still hurt! Thanks!

stopka7224 05-19-2006 11:50 PM

Re: BFing and baby bowel movements?

The baby may still be passing her meconium poop. It's not the same as EBF poop. And it isn't as often. I wouldn't worry about her not getting enough. Just BF regularly and often. Even if she doesn't seem hungry I would try to feed her every 2 hours. That should help a little with the engorgement too. It will be rough the first couple days when the milk comes in but it will taper off and not be so bad. :hugs: And good luck at breast feeding! Don't give up, it WILL get better!!! PM if you have any questions! :D

quixb 05-19-2006 11:56 PM

Hang in there!! First of all I would check with your dr. Seems like you hear so many storys about what nurse say, some right some not. I think it is pretty normal, I know my sil bf her dd and she only had a bm like every 7-9 days.......but that was when she was like 2 mths - like 6 mths. you can always try a cool wash cloth on the toes/feet to help "wake" her up. My other sil put one on her sons STOMACHE to keep him awake!!!!!!!! AHHHH meanie!!! Well anyways I think it is ok that she doesnt bm a lot because they are using all they take in, but I am no DR, just a mom :)

also just keep feeding her and in a few days your supply will go down some and you wont be so uncomfortable. Keep an eye out for any "redness", fever feelings of flu, these can be signs of mastitis (a blocked duct) although one of the best things for it is to nurse a lot. I have a book by Dr.Jack NEwman and it has really helped us to diagnose mastitis, thrush and helping with a latch. Here is a site of his http://www.drjacknewman.com/ you may find some more info on there :)

I am going to go check my book now, I think it may say in there how many bm is normal :)

Hope this helps!!

Hope you are getting SOME sleep!
Connie

stopka7224 05-20-2006 12:11 AM

At dd's last check up I told her ped. that she was only pooping every other day and she said that was totally normal and BF babies could go for week without pooping! I was shocked.. esp when DS pooped 5 times a day! :laugh: Anytime you are uncertain you can always call your ped. they are happy to help anytime!

kissum 05-20-2006 11:51 AM

She's just fine :) Bella didn't really start pooping until she was about a week old, then it was every diaper change for awhile. ENjoy it while it lasts!

elizablessed 05-20-2006 02:13 PM

My little one was born in April, and he didn't poop for the first few days. Now, he is doing fine! Hang in there with the bf...it's a bit of a dance for the first month or so. I agree with pp about trying more frequent feeds every 2 hours. Three days is soooo young. She is probably just trying to figure out what this place is all about.

Elphaba71 05-21-2006 09:52 AM

I'm a family doc and take care of newborns in and out of the hospital and I can tell you that the majority of postpartum nurses, and a lot of the baby docs you'll see were trained when they saw very few breastfed babies and haven't been well educated on the differences. Breastfed babies do eat "less" volume until their mother's milk comes in around day three and that sometimes slows things down. Since she's had two bm's, you know that everything works. If she's wetting some diapers and hasn't lost more than 10% of her birthweight, she's fine. She'll start pooping like crazy in a day or so, so as the pp said, enjoy it while it lasts.

If she's eating every three hours, I would say you don't need to wake her more frequently to eat unless she's losing too much weight. Many, many babies, both breastfed and formulafed, are very sleepy for about their first 48 hours of life and wake up and eat well after about the third day.

Give us an update! I'm betting everything's doing a lot better already.

Christy 05-21-2006 07:54 PM

That seems about what Savannah was doing at day 3 too. Now, at the advanced age of 6 days (hehehe), she is onto real bf poo and does so at every opportunity. :giggle:

negrapy 05-24-2006 03:39 PM

you gotta find a new hospital. You aren't in the italian hospital in paraguay are you? They supplemented my baby sugar water and formula before they brought him for me to nurse. We hightailed it out of there as soon as we could. Did I mention the ped was great but the nurses just did their own thing????????

Trishalynn 05-24-2006 04:11 PM

lol no not in that hospital lol, we only have one hospital here, so no choice on where to go! I love my OB or I'd try a home birth sometime!