Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   what to pay a babysitter? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74252)

davechan2003 12-16-2006 12:08 PM

what to pay a babysitter?

Just wondering what you would pay a babysitter to stay overnight? We were gone 5 til midnight. What do you think is fair? She doesn't state an hourly rate, I'm sure we paid her $5/hr last year. She is a great sitter!

shortcake2386 12-16-2006 12:12 PM

Re: what to pay a babysitter?

if you have pd her $5 an hour before she probably assumes thats what she is getting...but i used to be reall bad about charging for babysitting:banghead: ($10 total for watching 4 kids for 5 hours....) maybe give her a bonus for giving up her friday night to watch your LOs...an extra $5-10 depending on what you can afford...like a holiday bonus:thumbsup:

heidisue 12-16-2006 12:16 PM

I would say $5-$6/hour depending on the age and how much you like her (do you want to be at the top of her job list or do you have backups as well). If you paid her $5 last year then maybe bump her to $5.50 this year.

deejahd 12-16-2006 12:18 PM

Great question, I always kinda pay her 20$ min then more if it's longer than just a few hours. I figure 20$ for her effort seems fair.

lilmama2dsndd 12-16-2006 12:23 PM

Depends on several things, how well you like her, how many DC and ages of DC. I only have 1 person outside my family I trust as a babysitter for DD & DS. She use to work @ their DCP and was an assitant teacher in DD's room. She made $7.50/hr when she worked there, so I pay her $8/hr and usually round up to the nearest $5, so if she stayed 4 hours I would give her $35. But even if she charged $10/hr I would pay it, I just love her that much.

stephdpn 12-16-2006 12:34 PM

I way overpay my sitters, but I love them and want them to always sit for me, lol! For night sitters, I always pay $8 an hour (I have 2 kids), day sitters, I pay $6-7 hour...also depends if I have to pick them up/take them home, then they make less...my fave sitter doesn't drive, which really sucks, but I still pay her about $6 hour. Last week she sat for me from 8am-2pm and I paid her $35. I don't use her at night b/c I don't want to have to drive her home at midnight...my night sitters, I usually pay $8 hour, but we only get one maybe 3 times a year. I am blessed to have lots of wonderful college girls work for me at the preschool - totally trustworthy!

ashleynjacy 12-16-2006 12:39 PM

I always got at least 8 an hour...but I do live in an area that is pricey!

4BoysMom 12-16-2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdpn (Post 542617)
I way overpay my sitters, but I love them and want them to always sit for me, lol! For night sitters, I always pay $8 an hour (I have 2 kids), day sitters, I pay $6-7 hour...also depends if I have to pick them up/take them home, then they make less...my fave sitter doesn't drive, which really sucks, but I still pay her about $6 hour. Last week she sat for me from 8am-2pm and I paid her $35. I don't use her at night b/c I don't want to have to drive her home at midnight...my night sitters, I usually pay $8 hour, but we only get one maybe 3 times a year. I am blessed to have lots of wonderful college girls work for me at the preschool - totally trustworthy!

Funny I would think day sitters would make more since night sitters are getting paid to watch TV or sleep/nod off themselves once the kids head to bed, and day sitters are changing numerous diapers, prepping meals, reading stories, playing with the kids...

jkelstaten 12-16-2006 01:02 PM

we usually did about $5 an hour, but we were only gone between 2-4 hours at a time otherwise the kids stayed with family. And I did require them to be able to drive (and have a car) Luckily for us we have a lot of friends who would just offer free babysitting as a *present* for us and we would reciprocate worked out great!!

davechan2003 12-16-2006 02:30 PM

Thanks for the replies!

This sitter is 13. We like her very much. Our kids are 11 months and 2.5 years. She came over at 5, we got home at 12 and then she stayed overnight. I paid her $80. She seemed very happy with that.

The last time we got her was last year for the Christmas party (which had been the only time until last night), that's how much dh and I get out! Well, we went on a date in March when my mom was up and watched the kids. As it was I spent last night cuddling/walking a fussy newborn that came to the party so the mom could have a break! And I loved every minute of it too! :mrgreen: