Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can the onset of AF cause my nursling to be fussy? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75400)

jenneonthespot 12-20-2006 09:56 AM

Can the onset of AF cause my nursling to be fussy?

YIKES!
DH and I noticed last month that DS (10 Mo.) was super fussy about a week-and-a-half prior to AF's arrival. Only when he goes down, which is TOTALLY out of character for him. He is usually glad to go to bed (I know, I am lucky in that respect!) We waited and waited last month, nearly a week, and then I gave in and took him to the Dr. thinking he had an ear infrction, even though our guts told us it wasn't illness-related. Sure enough- clean bill of health. About two days later fussiness subsided and AF arrived.
Could this be hormones? I notice that I get a little sleepless at about the same time in my cycle. I am also on the mini-pill. This is new- AF only returned 2 months ago.
WHAT IS GOING ON?!?! He is literally waking up every 2 hours, when he normally sleeps for 9+... needless to say he is a cranky pants.

Sleepless in Annapolis! :eek:
Jenn

soggygranolamomma 12-20-2006 10:03 AM

Re: Can the onset of AF cause my nursling to be fussy?

Definately. My supply always dropped during AF. :banghead:

Knittress 12-20-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soggygranolamomma (Post 553286)
Definately. My supply always dropped during AF. :banghead:

Yup... that combined with the hormone shift can temporarily make the milk taste a little different... I've heard people say that it makes it more salty than sweet. :headscratch:

mommyto2presidents 12-27-2006 09:55 PM

Hi fellow Annapolitan!!! Yes, my milk always drops before and for the first few days of AF and ds gets cranky since the milk gives out before he does. I think this is completely normal... At least it is in our house! :mrgreen:

Molly's Mom 12-28-2006 12:32 PM

DIDO
My supply always dropped just prior to AF - DD would get mighty frustrated sometimes!

birthfree 12-28-2006 07:01 PM

YES YES YES!!! Oh my gosh yes. My kiddos have to deal with it right away because no matter how often I nurse day and night I get AF back at less than 4m (this time it was less than 3!!).

I've found that taking 1000mg of calcium and 500mg of magnesium from mid-cycle will not have your supply drop so much and help the hormones from bothering them so much.

I dehydrated and encapsulated my placenta after Gray was born so I take two of those for the first few days and it helps TREMENDOUSLY! Most people don't do that, but it has made an absolutely incredible difference for us. No more screaming (with hunger) baby! Yaaaay!