Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tips for passing glucose test? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755168)

tessa_s212 05-29-2009 08:54 AM

Tips for passing glucose test?

I think I'm just going to go ahead and do it to appease my doctor. He wasn't happy when I refused other testing, even though my family has no history of those conditions anywhere. And this time it wasn't a question, he basically demanded that I take the glucose 1 hr, even though I have *fantastic* blood pressure, no swelling, no complications, no cramps, no bleeding, I'm not obese or gaining too much, I've had no symptoms or problems, etc etc etc. If anything, it is just a way for him to make more money off of insurance.

I'm not sure exactly what to expect. I know I am healthy and don't have GD, but I know a lot of people don't pass the 1 hr and have to go waste their time at the 3 hr. Should I fast for 24 hrs before the test? I do not have the fastest metabolism.. I never have. Should I stop eating any excess sugar(pies, fruit juice, etc) at all for two weeks until the test is over?

Tips please!

dornmama 05-29-2009 09:03 AM

Re: Tips for passing glucose test?

Could you talk to him about a compromise? Instead of doing the GD test offer to get an at home blood sugar monitor and do a week of testing. It will be FAR more accurate and you won't get a false positive. Or if you happen to fail the 1 hr perhaps you can convince him of using that option instead of the 3 hour test.

GEMQEMCABOOSE 05-29-2009 09:21 AM

There is a real medical reason for the GD screening and I don't consider just a way for a Dr. to make money nor do I think the best idea is to try to find a way to "trick" the test. I have had GD during all 3 pregnancies. It is a very real condition that has very real dangers for your unborn child. When I was pregnant with my first, I went to a GD counseling class to learn how to manage it (its not all that difficult really) and we had a 100 pound 18 year old, a college - aged track runner, several women in the 20s from 110 pounds to 200 pounds, and a few older women also. While there are factors that can increase your chances of GD, anyone can have it, and most do not know it. I wouldn't take chances with the health of your baby just because you don't think you have a condition or you question the profit motives of the doctor. Do the test and be sure; its not worth exposing your baby to 4 months of hyperglycemia and predisposing him/her to diabetes for life.

Weezy6703 05-29-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE (Post 7408123)
There is a real medical reason for the GD screening and I don't consider just a way for a Dr. to make money nor do I think the best idea is to try to find a way to "trick" the test. I have had GD during all 3 pregnancies. It is a very real condition that has very real dangers for your unborn child. When I was pregnant with my first, I went to a GD counseling class to learn how to manage it (its not all that difficult really) and we had a 100 pound 18 year old, a college - aged track runner, several women in the 20s from 110 pounds to 200 pounds, and a few older women also. While there are factors that can increase your chances of GD, anyone can have it, and most do not know it. I wouldn't take chances with the health of your baby just because you don't think you have a condition or you question the profit motives of the doctor. Do the test and be sure; its not worth exposing your baby to 4 months of hyperglycemia and predisposing him/her to diabetes for life.

I couldn't agree more! :thumbsup:

to the OP...It is my understanding that all dr's would have you fast before the test..however reading some posts on here it doesn't seem to be the case. I had the test last week and they had me fast 12 hours prior to the test..so it was basically nothing after dinner and I just had a later breakfast the next morning.

4HisGlory 05-29-2009 09:34 AM

If you are eating healthy don't worry about it..you'll most likely pass it if you don't have GD. Just do what the dr tells you too before the test

ChicanaCoqueta 05-29-2009 09:42 AM

some places say fast, others say don't...
if you don't have to fast then I'd recommend having a healthy - lots of fiber & protein, no sugar - breakfast about 2 - 3 hours prior. not too big of a meal
and the day before eat very well too

BranAn7881 05-29-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE (Post 7408123)

:yeahthat: It is EXTREMELY important to have the test. My neice is the picture of good health and healthy eating for that matter. She found out she had it with her 2nd pregnancy. No logical reason she should've had it, but sure enough she did. GD doesn't have the same precursors that regular diabetes has. A very large number of mothers who have it have none of the normal high risks for having diabetes. Pregnancy just does some funny things to your body. Just follow the doctor's recommendations as far as fasting and go take the test Mama. It's worth your time for the health of your LO.:hugs:

tessa_s212 05-29-2009 11:44 AM

Well, I've received just the opposite advice by many here, saying how the test is forced on anyone and everyone for no good reason and it would be perfectly acceptable to refuse it.

Either way, I'll likely take it anyway just to get him off my back. Will fasting help make sure I pass it? If so, I won't eat or drink anything but water for a whole 24 hours before the test. My appointment is at 4 pm, and I have college that morning, so hopefully the water will keep my tummy full and keep me from being grumpy because I'm hungry.

Thready or Knot 05-29-2009 11:56 AM

Truely if you are only going to try to trick the test I say don't waste you or your doctors time. Just refuse it. I think it's a valuable test but it isn't worth it if you aren't going to take it seriously.

tessa_s212 05-29-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmomlikeLorelai (Post 7410149)
Truely if you are only going to try to trick the test I say don't waste you or your doctors time. Just refuse it. I think it's a valuable test but it isn't worth it if you aren't going to take it seriously.

Why is it "tricking" the test, when some doctors tell you to fast anyway, and you have to fast for the 3 hr? It isn't tricking it, it is just making sure you don't get a false positive like soooo many do to have to go and waste their time at the 3 hour.