Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   CD in Daycare or Child Care in MD? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758946)

MichelleHeffner 06-03-2009 08:20 AM

CD in Daycare or Child Care in MD?

Hi Mamas!

We have a to find a new child care provider in our area (Howard County) as our current provider is retiring at the end of June.

Does anyone know if it is "legal" for daycares, in home or centers, to allow CD?

We have a potential who told us she is not opposed to them but she was told (16 years ago!) that they weren't allowed.

Any thoughts?

Our current (about to retire) provider uses our CD's happily and was never told she couldn't use them.

Help me out, Mamas!

Thank you : )
~Michelle

Asher'sMama 06-04-2009 07:45 AM

Re: CD in Daycare or Child Care in MD?

Don't know, but as we are moving to Montgomery County, I would like to know too!

jlhrun 06-10-2009 05:52 AM

I'd like to know, too!

hylndlas 06-14-2009 01:15 AM

Ok here is the skinny on CD and daycare.

Technically the state says NO CD for hygiene reasons.

However....our daycare provider (we are in AA County) allows them as long as I pack a wet bag and provide her with a locking diaper pail, so that the other children can't get into the diapers. (Basically the same thing she does with the sposies) The used diapers go into the wetbag she puts the bag in the pail.....husband brings home the wetbag each night and life goes on. :)

Basically it depends on the daycare provider. I think some are not as open to the idea because they think pins and rubber pants. Our provider thinks our "new" diapers are pretty cool!

missykay 06-25-2009 10:06 PM

I had this question when we started DC last year. I called the Department of Children Services or something like that (it's been a long time and I still have Mommy brain). I was told that it is legal (within health codes)but up to the provider. In other words, if they say No you can't force them to do it. Hope you find someone.

kdpatty 07-18-2009 01:03 AM

Where in MoCo are you moving?! I live in the Olney area, and our LOs are the same age- i have a great group of mommas and almost 1 year olds in the area for playdates if you are interested.

Starr5678 07-18-2009 07:22 AM

OK! I live in MoCo and have a TERRIFIC (licensed) home daycare provider that allows CDs!!! She's in Germantown. PM me if you want her contact info.

When we interviewed for providers when DS was a baby, I just looked at CDs as non-negociable (although I really did allow some wiggle room there, as you'll see). Anyone who told me flat out that they couldn't do it, I (politely) asked for reasoning. Most were concerned about it being messier than 'sposies. I actually took along some dipes to interview to show that CDs weren't necessarily pins and plastic pants as these providers may have though. In some cases, we were told that all the kids just share a common stash of diapers and the provider couldn't be bothered to use different brands on different kids. That in itself bothered me (what if some kids had issues with certain brands of 'sposies - not to mention that different kids would need different sizes).

Another point I used when I interview was that we used CDs partly because it was cheaper than 'sposies, so if the provider insisted on 'sposies even after I did a demo of them, I asked if they would provide them for us, since we couldn't afford to. That stop a lot of them dead in their tracks.

With the provider we ended up choosing, we did have to negotiate with her. She was willing to explore the idea of CDs with us to see if we could come to a common arrangement on using them. We compromised and both agree to the following:
- We provided clean pre-stuffed pockets or AIO/AI2s. Fitteds and PFs were out of the question - the CDs had to be as close to 'sposies as possible.
- We provided hanging zippered wetbags for the dirties, which she was able to hang on the changing station right next to the diaper pail.
- We picked up the dirties at the end of each day and did any sorting and washing ourselves at home.
- She did disposable wipes (since her changing station was not near water, it wasn't very easy for her to do cloth wipes and she really didn't want us to send pre-moisted cloth wipes). She mostly folded the used wipes into the dirty dipe and threw both into our wetbag. So, I did have to sort those out before washing, but I was also having to shake poo out of dipes and take inserts out of pockets, too, so it wasn't really any big hassle there.
- She did not use diaper cream or powder on DS unless he absolutely needed it.

And, that's basically it! The arrangement worked for well for us. We used PFs and covers at home and sent a combo of pockets and AIOs to daycare during the week.

GL in your search! There are people out there! Stick to your guns but be nice and I bet you'll find someone.

Robin.A.LCC 09-13-2009 08:15 AM

Well, if you have an au pair, you tell HER how you want your child to be taken care of.

ellen97 02-01-2010 01:09 AM

KinderCare in Waldorf,MD used our cloth when my son was there in August. The ladies loved it!

mommylifew3 02-10-2010 07:25 PM

Our pre-school in Columbia, MD will take them at age 2 and has agreed to Cd my daughter when she starts. He cded all of his kids. I think it is the first time someone had requested it, lol.